LJ - should he stay or should he go?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by MasterSplinter, Mar 14, 2019.

?

LJ - should he stay or should he go?

1. Fire him now and start the re-rebuild.

2. Gets one more season, but two down years starts the trend and he's out.

3. Two more seasons, if it ain't happening after four total years will it ever?

4. Indefinite/Lifer...the guy bleeds Butler Blue and we need that coaching stability.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,127
    Just gotta make room for the La Lumiere and Indiana Elite coaches in staff roles and it'll be all good.

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  2. rperk

rperk Member

Money:
    $89
    Exactly what did the staff accomplish other than last place and a losing record?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Butler Hoops mobile app

dippper61 likes this.
  3. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    If you actually want to have a conversation I’m happy to have one. Dm me bc it seems you’re only interested in being patronizing here. If that’s all you wish to do go ahead, but don’t use the guise of trying to make an actual response.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. Trumpforpresident2020

Trumpforpresident2020 Active Member

Just noticed that Drew is out at Vandy!!!!!! Bring him back to Indy!! Knows the territory has a great track record in coaching and recruiting. Would be an awesome fit at Butler!!!

5. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,241
    He just went 0-19 in conference

6. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,350
    Your avatar matches perfectly your disregard for fact, superfluous punctuation, and trolling behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

tyrin101, Tentozen, Hinkle and 2 others like this.
  7. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $526
    I used to think the BU head coach job was a pretty good gig for a coach. Supportive administration. Supportive AD. Supportive trustees. Good pay - not Coach K or Calipari money, but a damn good living. Good brand name that any prospect in the country knows about. Play in a good conference. Historic venue to call home. Indy is a nice city with a reasonable cost of living and good quality of life for the coaches' families. Being Hoosiers, an intelligent and supportive fan base with reasonable expectations and one that is not trigger happy for firing the coach.

Then I found this board.

BulldogsFTW, 2xDawg, jeff and 8 others like this.
  8. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $435
    What I don't get is all those that think the situation is the opposite (bad AD, meh pay, bad facilities, bad budget, tough recruiting geog, etc) and then turn around and think we'll land some big name coach if LJ goes. It's either one or the other. I think it's more like @knobcreekfan says meaning if LJ ever does leave we should be able to attract some decent head coaches, maybe not the Izzos and coach Ks of the world but some good names (We had that discussion a couple years ago).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. BUBlue

BUBlue Member

Money:
    $50
    I am sure that LJ is here for at least one more year. But should we expect any change in what we saw this year? Just think for a moment. Could the Dawgs have beaten Florida at the end of this season. I am sure that none of us would have said yes! Did we beat them at the beginning of the season? I have to say that Butler is one of the few teams in the entire country that got worse as the season progressed! And we were certainly worse this entire year compared to last year! This downward spiral will continue! Just grab your asses with both hands, get your heads out of your butts and hang on! The kids will change, but the coaching will not!

Trumpforpresident2020 and Baddog like this.
  10. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    I don’t think we go worse (though I don’t think we improved either), I think we were easy to scout and the effects of that became more pronounced as we played teams a second time.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

11. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,142
    No one is trigger happy ... We got worse as everyone else got better. Last place is not acceptable. If no improvement or worse next year, we will need to bring Thad Matta on board.

12. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,488
    That's the thing, being very discouraged is not unreasonable. There is not one thing to hang your hat on with excitement and say "damn, we're going to be really good soon, the pieces are there and the staff is excellent"...no, the pieces are not there and the staff is a tsunami of awful. This team walked, hell ran backwards as other teams moved forwards...and they all still sucked as evidenced by the postseason results...and as much as they sucked, we still regressed at every position and in game management and finished last. That is the problem, things are moving backwards and in a hurry. And, worse yet Barry's pride and stubbornness are going to sink this ship if it keeps up. He needs to realize what is going on and the disaster it is becoming, instead of parading around acting like LaVall is the next Jesus meets Ghandi wonder boy.

13. Dewars12

Dewars12 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $866
    Team definitely got worse. A ten man rotation is absurd (unless you are pressing the whole game or playing in a 40+ Y league) . Noticeable confusion and declining player confidence often reflects poorly on coaching, but could also be attributed to players not focused on the team and their role. I'm hoping the issues (whatever they are) get corrected with this upcoming year. But, this season player body language and play on the court seemed to indicate a lot of player frustration directed at the bench and each other (which all goes together).

14. knobcreekfan

Money:
    $526
    I am not only referring to LJ and this staff. Two years ago people were calling for Holtmann’s head as he lost the team, did not call timeouts to stop a run, not using KM properly, bad at X’s & O’s and poor clock management.

I was not around on the old board, but it sounds like people were not that impressed with Stevens.

People have wanted scholarships pulled from kids. Again, not just this year, but in the past as well.

There was a discussion last year about us not offering a recruit yet. It could not have been that the staff did not think he was a good fit. Instead folks on this board speculated his academic deficiencies prohibited his admission to the school.

AT retweets his girlfriend and people immediately speculate he is transferring.

So, yes, people are trigger happy.

15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,554
    You summed up the old board fairly well actually (minus the superfluous millennial adjectives, of course).

16. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $303

I'm really curious as to how you think BC should handle this situation. Instead of backing his coach that he hired less than 2 years ago and saying that nothing will change since the Butler way has worked in the past.

Are you suggesting that he should publically say that we are regressing, maybe we are less talented than in the past with the future looking even dimmer, the Butler Way is not relevant anymore, what we have done in the past wont work again in the future, and LaVall was a bad hire by him like 20 months ago, and he hired the wrong assistants to boot?

If he did that, would that inspire any confidence in the current situation? Would that help recruiting, or retaining current players. Curious on what Barry should have said.

pappyball and knobcreekfan like this.
  17. knobcreekfan

Money:
    $526
    Bingo.

I am quite confident the conversations happening behind closed doors inside Hinkle are very different than what is being said publicly. Just as it should be.

Shimmy, BoyGeoff, pappyball and 4 others like this.
  18. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,488
    He mostly said what he had to say publicly. I don't know if I would have been as concrete on the positives as he was, closing the door if something were to fall into his lap. But he has publicly staked his biggest program's future to LaVall. No question. Mistake? Yes. Something to really argue about? Nope. It's cut and dry Barry will sink with his boy on this one. So, knowing that, he said what he probably should have said, I just maybe would have worded it a little more general to allow for a little wiggle room.

Now, saying that I hope Barry is actually keeping a keen eye on the situation and has a short hook and tolerance for what's about to happen. It's ultimately up to him and I just hope his butler loyalty/obsession with "the butler way" doesn't blind him to what is a huge problem which has made it to surface. But no, he did what he had to do if he wasn't going to fire him.

Doesn't mean it doesn't still irk me. On the flip side, maybe, just maybe, he was so concrete knowing he was going to have a few scholarships to fill and he wanted the country to know he had LaVall's back and this was a stable situation.

19. 740OHIOBulldog

740OHIOBulldog Active Member

Money:
    $1,445
    I'll accept giving him 1-2 more years, but unfortunately I do not believe or have any confidence in him being the answer. I hope I am wrong.

20. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,359
    On court and off court, ticket sales and donations will determine the outcome.

740OHIOBulldog and Baddog like this.