LJ - should he stay or should he go?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by MasterSplinter, Mar 14, 2019.

?

LJ - should he stay or should he go?

1. Fire him now and start the re-rebuild.

2. Gets one more season, but two down years starts the trend and he's out.

3. Two more seasons, if it ain't happening after four total years will it ever?

4. Indefinite/Lifer...the guy bleeds Butler Blue and we need that coaching stability.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Trumpforpresident2020

Trumpforpresident2020 Active Member

I find it funny how many people on the board say that he needs more time and that he is coaching players he didn’t recruit. What about Chris Beard of Texas Tech? He is in his third season making back to back Sweet Sixteens, with guys he didn’t recruit. I find it funny how there are different standards depending on who you are cheering for. Lavall is not the answer nor is he going to be next season. Keep dreaming Lavall fans. Kahliff will be a freshman and will play like a freshman. He is not going to stay when Lavall gets fired...... Next season is the beginning of the end of Butler Basketball! There will be no significant growth as a team... Kamar will continue to force shots and we will live and die by the three point game.

740OHIOBulldog likes this.
  2. Tiles52

Tiles52 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $605
    I am amazed at the number of people on this board who constantly say that we should not expect much from freshmen. It seems to me that there are several teams in a number of conferences that play a high number of freshmen who contribute quite a bit to their teams, and I'm not talking about the Duke's and Kentucky's or even those other freshmen rated as 5 stars.

UDDawg likes this.
  3. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Member

Money:
    $72
    “Strength & conditioning” is more than resistance training (weights). It includes some of what you named, and more.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Member

Money:
    $72
    Brad, Brandon, and Holtmann are all friends. Brad assisted Brandon in building his staff.

5. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,806
    If you recruit talent then they can play as freshmen- see Georgetown with three freshmen on the all freshman team. KB, Chrabs, Dunham, Howard, Hayward, Mack are proof. Problem is Butler has not recruited at a high level.

Trumpforpresident2020 likes this.
  6. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Member

Money:
    $72
    Scott Drew, Butler grad, men’s basketball student manager.

7. Trumpforpresident2020

I love TT game! Great Defense!!

8. Trumpforpresident2020

TT is very well coached!!! Great team, great play calling, great defense. Did everything they needed to do to win this game!

dippper61 likes this.
  9. Tiles52

Money:
    $605
    I agree, but I wonder just how highly rated those three freshment from Georgetown were. Were they all top 100s?

10. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,723
    Happy for Texas Tech, defense matters. Remember when Butler played great defense?

11. Dewars12

Dewars12 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $977
    Have all of the threads become an exercise in stream of consciousness... Threads are listed by topics. If you want to discuss something that is not already a thread, create one. For example, you could start a thread named 'Texas Tech's run to the Final Four and does Bobby Knight care or even know?'

Tentozen likes this.
  12. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,806
    It better include work on foot movement, quickness and athleticism all of which our bigs did not possess nor got better at.

13. Trumpforpresident2020

I’m not meaning to come across that because Khaliff is a freshman he won’t be effective. He’s not going to save the program. Take Kelan Martins freshman year. Top 100 guy who averaged 8 points a game. We are going to need more than eight points a game from Kahliff if we are going to make headway under Lavalls style of play. If we play like TT..... defensive minded team who take good shots, make great decisions with their offensive sets, execution of taking the shot clock down and scoring. That’s what made Butler fun to watch. Not this alley ball, one pass and take a contested shot and play lazy defense. Coach Beard is a great coach and has made the best with what he was given. I believe Butler had the talent to make a run in the tourney, but due to lack of ability on the coaching end is why we are in the predicament that we are in today.

14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,806
    I was thinking the same thing. Defense primarily with attitude, intensity and coaching. Loved that Moretti guard from TT and obviously the kid that transferred from St. John’s made a great decision.

Trumpforpresident2020 likes this.
  15. Tiles52

Money:
    $605
    No one player is going to save the program; I was just questioning your comment "Khaliff will be a freshman and will play like a freshman". And it is not just you; I have read that comment about freshmen from others on this board and I have never understood it. If you are a player, you can make a difference as a freshman.

16. Tark43

Tark43 Active Member

Money:
    $385
  17. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,512
    I'm not putting these expectations on Khalif Battle because it's not fair, but both Kamar Baldwin and Matt Howard were really good as freshman. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he could be a big contributor for us.

18. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,099
    It's true it's not fair to him, but I think if you ask him, he expects to be an impact player right away. He's been awfully, awfully good this year and is finely growing into his body. We could have a really dynamic scoring threat very soon at all 3 levels. The thing I love most is hearing he took it upon himself to want to guard the other team's best players mid way through the year.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  19. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,005
    I'd love to think he'd be good enough right off the bat to come in and start. And that LJ would open his mind to let play out if he were to be outplaying folks. Something is screaming at me that he's going to be special right away. Fair or not, he has the talent and the hair. He just needs the opportunity. Color me foolish but if he is the truth and Tucker takes a step forward, that's yuge pressure off Baldwin and makes for a hell of a 1-2-3 punch on offense.

Hell I may be down on things, but I am pretty excited for Battle...let's hope LJ is as well. I want the kid playing major minutes from day one.

20. 740OHIOBulldog

740OHIOBulldog Active Member

Money:
    $1,445
    LJ is the number 1 liability.