LJ - should he stay or should he go?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by MasterSplinter, Mar 14, 2019.

?

LJ - should he stay or should he go?

1. Fire him now and start the re-rebuild.

2. Gets one more season, but two down years starts the trend and he's out.

3. Two more seasons, if it ain't happening after four total years will it ever?

4. Indefinite/Lifer...the guy bleeds Butler Blue and we need that coaching stability.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,013
    This board is ripe for the pickin'. People (me included) are hanging on every post. Waiting and hoping for some more chaotic news.

2. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,914
    I will say that meeting Joey and watching him interact with kids and everything that is out there, he was a throw-back to the Butler Way. He would have been great under Stevens/Boltmann. But I think it's PAINFULLY apparent that LJ isn't going that route. I feel bad for Brunk because he got caught up in a bad situation with his Dad and the staff switch. Again, I wish him nothing but the best. Had he been four years older, I think he would have been up there with the all-time classic Butler greats ala Howard, Chraz and the like. Switch him out for Fowler or even in a year earlier and I think he would have excelled here. He just isn't what the staff sees as the future of the program. Time will tell on that new direction.

BHayden, seadawg, willisbrown and 4 others like this.
  3. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,165
  4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,016
    Very irresponsible tweet by a Brownsburg assistant coach. Not a good look, IMO.

The other dude with 0 followers slamming LaVall conveniently left off the part where Vall was retweeting Matt Painter and his commentary on being a teammate, embracing your role, etc. Not specific to Joey.

5. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,142
    I remember exactly 2 years ago Jared posted that Georgetown had hired Butler coach Chris Holtmann as their new coach as an April Fools joke. Then in a little over two months he left for Ohio St.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

estar20dawg likes this.
  6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,816
    Anybody notice Joey’s mom and Cooper Neese liked that tweet? Also some area coaches. JFC

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

BHayden likes this.
  7. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,513
    Yeah, that’s not ideal.

bwesson15, BHayden, bmradio99 and 3 others like this.
  8. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,820
    Not sure it bodes well for the Pierce Thomas recruitment, but other than that, who cares.

TheDawgDub95 likes this.
  9. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,816
    You sorta answered your own question.

Sidd Finch likes this.
  10. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,016
    Joey’s mom I get as she of course is going to be a Mama Bear—but why would Cooper have attitude about BU? Those area coaches (2) are not objective bystanders on this, FWIW. Again, think it’s a bad look for them.

11. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,400
    Why on earth does Brownsburf need an assistant coach?

12. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Active Member

Money:
    $483
    That’s probably a turn off for pierce Thomas. I watched him play in person athletic freak. Who knows maybe no impact at all

13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,165

Barry got a 5 year extension today. This may squash the when will LJ be fired discussion for awhile.

NCJon likes this.
  14. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,386
    Got that Efroymson $$.

15. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $522
    Yeah, right. If by "awhile" you mean a couple hours, then maybe.....

16. ghostryder

ghostryder Active Member

Money:
    $126
    Since I’m always interested in hearing the names of potential replacements if the change comes I’ll throw out four names.

Matthew Graves: I think he would have been the logical replacement for Stevens had he not taken the South Alabama job.

Steve Alford: this one’s more a what if; relatively successful, questionable coaching, rival degree.

Michael Lewis: is he “butler” enough

Mark Slessinger: head coach at University of New Orleans; played in the NCAA last year and got to the conference championship game this year. Regional connections; spiritual; knows and understands Butler as well as a grad.

17. dawgnation

dawgnation Active Member

Money:
    $181
    Potentially but my two candidates are Scott Drew and Ronald Nored

18. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,013
    I want McMahon. Badly. But by the time we're looking a big boy will swoop him up.

19. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $198
    1. Thad Matta
    2. Ronald Nored
    3. Scott Drew
    4. Micah Shrewsberry
    5. John Brannen

Would love for LaVall to make the tournament next year so I can see his loaded 2020 recruiting class but if he doesnt go above .500 next year, he should be on his way out.

20. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,863
    I am curious why you guys think Ron Nored is in the same coaching stratosphere with Thad Matta or Scott Drew.