Luke Brown - 2021 Point Guard (Stetson)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by IU/Butler/Notre Dame, Jan 8, 2020.

1. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

IU/Butler/Notre Dame Member

Money:
    $191
    Jokes aside ...do you really hope that’s the direction we are headed ? Not being a smart %^* . I would love to see us be the front of the class in the big East but I’d hate to see us get away from our identity and what got us here ...if we got to where we could compete for a five star in state here and there I would be thrilled but as of now it’s not like we pull players in the top 50 ( consensus from multiple sites ) we have only had one and he’s a transfer and our 50-100 list isnt really long ....being both a fan of butler and iu I’ve honestly been more proud of butlers deep tournament runs than I have of some of ius great teams because I feel like we do more with less ...makes it easy to root for ...don’t get me wrong I’m not against high end recruits I just like our identity

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  2. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    i don’t typically cut and paste often different conversations ...varying opinions ...it’s fun to discuss

3. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,486
    Year over year, the quality of recruit has steadily been better. The players that now consider Butler are, as a whole, more talented than those from 10-15 years ago. When the Dawgs played the plucky upstart in the Horizon League, it was all good recruiting under the B10 and "stealing" those players. Things have changed significantly. Butler cannot remain a contender on the national stage if they rely on recruiting below a Big East / Big 10 level. I think, ultimately, that is what the board has been trying to tell you. Luke Brown may be pretty good, but he doesn't fit the need at Butler going into 2021. Unless something major happened, he would be overshadowed by the incoming freshmen of 2020 - who 4/5 were literally nominated for McDonald's All-American game.

I do not think Butler will ever become home to regular 1 or 2 year players, but I do believe that with coaching consistency, Butler is uniquely situated to develop into a power in the Big East and have teams that can compete for Final 4's on a regular basis. It's been a crazy whirlwind for Butler in the last 25 years - and along with that comes the fact that they are no longer the mid-major upstart. Most of these kids consider them on the same level as major basketball contenders, heck, they have been for their entire lives.

IU/Butler/Notre Dame likes this.
  4. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    I get that perspective thanks for sharing it ( rationally and politely) .
    I also agree the big East has raised the bar on athleticism necessity so some change is necessary I just would hate to see us turn from a butler into an IU I’d prefer to be us but be more of an expectation of our in state kids than an afterthought and occasionally steal the two year players ...we have a catch 22 with coaching because Of the strength of our program when we perform there are much deeper pockets ready to pilfer us a la Matta lickeliter Stevens and Holtmann so that is something we will always combat unfortunately as long as we keep winning but the program chooses coaches well thankfully.
    I get your point on luke ...I used to be pretty harsh on hulls for the same reasons so I don’t discount your opinion I just think having watched him play so frequently and having been blessed to see many other successful d1 players multiple times at the high school level he is one of the few that can bridge that size gap ...I may very well end up wrong but the eyeball test puts him more in line with the kids who have turned into a success at the next level...sorry again if I bothered you ....go dawgs tonight and Saturday let’s hit our first 4 or even 3 ranking !

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  5. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,029
    I cannot believe y'all keep feeding this dude.

And no, we don't want any farm boys. Drop it and end it.

6. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,225
    I'm not looking him in the eye, and I'm backing away slowly.

Getting ready to head to Hinkle. To hell with Jockitch.

#GoDawgs #BasketballCathedral

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,839
    Just a reminder:

THERE IS ZERO PROOF BUTLER IS RECRUITING LUKE BROWN. THERE IS ZERO PROOF LUKE BROWN HAS ANY INTEREST IN BUTLER.

8. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,386
    Why does this guy keep spamming the board re Luke Brown? Makes no sense.

theenforcer13 likes this.
  9. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    1. Ok that was actually funny well played 2. Ike brown opinions aside ...make it loud in there it’s a big one ...enjoy the game go BU

10. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    1. No clue why they are it’s wasted a ton of space 2. I assume you mean farm boy in a generalized sense and not in a prejudicial way but I respectfully disagree I’ll take anyone that helps the program whether they are rural , inner city, foreign, or from the moon. If you’re talking “ farm boy “
    Style players that would fit Matt Howard Andy chraz, and aj graves and that type I’ll take all day long as their style always translates. Would a team full of that style
    Work ...no way ...but 1-3 on your roster can be a good thing and has been great for us 3. If you haven’t seen the brown kid you may actually be surprised how youd classify him you’re correct he goes to a rural school but he’s actually more a flashy type player ...he works hard but I don’t know that he would hit the farm boy stereotype at least the way I think you meant it

11. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    Meaning me spamming the board with this thread or meaning him spamming the thread with the message you replied to ? If it’s the first no biggie just ignore it you’re welcome to bring a basketball related opinion anytime positive or negative on the topic if you meant the latter NCjon made a great point that If you hit ignore on my name it will ignore this thread so if you don’t have any interest in brown it won’t show up or bother you in any way that’s why the moderator put it in thread format so it can be ignored if it’s not your thing ...enjoy the ame tonight go dogs

12. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    As much as I enjoy the overwhelmingly welcoming attitude of a few and the always polite, objective, and civil discourse ....I was super discouraged by us losing to seton hall and running it to a 3 game streak in what I thought was our toughest four game stretch of the season. Most disappointing was that during those three losses we took some physical blows losing David and Thompson and, in large part, we didn’t really play butler style basketball. As such I was waiving the white flag of truce ...but with us back on the winning side with a big one last night I’ll update ...Blackford lost two last week including an epic implosion blowing a 24 point lead to Peyton sparks lead Winchester. Brown had 32 and 54. Last night Blackford beat frankton by 30ish ...brown had 31 points and 7 assists on 15 field goal attempts. Also earned his second subway IBCA player of the week award of the season at the midpoint. Now leading the state in scoring by a full 2 points per game and assists by a full assist per game.

13. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,585
  14. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,079
  15. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,804
    Junior

16. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,796
  17. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,045
    The guy is a hell of a high school basketball player and he will probably have some success in college somewhere. At the end of the day, we are so loaded with guards in the 2020/2021 classes that this will never happen. If we happened to have an extra schollie in a different class we would maybe take a flier on him. Harris, Tate, and Taylor are all better fits for the Big East. I personally think we'll need to use a 2021 schollie on a grad transfer guard because after losing AT/JT we will need someone to bring in an instant punch. I hope Harris and Tate prove me wrong, but relying on an underclassman backcourt isn't typically a recipe for success.

I hope Brown succeeds somewhere and has a great collegiate career. It's fantastic what he's doing in high school. Having just watched the Scooby game from last night vs. Emoni, the level of competition between these high school teams just isn't comparable.

18. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,585
    My bad. I saw it shared on Facebook. Clearly I shouldn't post at 4 a.m.

BUcheer likes this.
  19. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    I wish he would do that if the option was available but I’m afraid he will get some more offers this summer that are too hard to pass on

20. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    Very fair assessment of both brown and butlers current 2020 and 2021 roster commitments