Luke Brown - 2021 Point Guard (Stetson)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by IU/Butler/Notre Dame, Jan 8, 2020.

1. butlerbreadman

butlerbreadman Member

Money:
    $50
    I went to see neese play twice. He didn’t have the foot speed, handles, or court vision of brown’s. I’m not 100% sure brown is big or strong enough to play in the big east, but don’t compare him to neese. My recommendation would be to watch him play.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops

IU/Butler/Notre Dame and seadawg like this.
  2. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $20,118
    I doubt many said Cooper Neese made his teammates better. The #9 and #11 career scoring leaders in state history played together only a grade apart and they struggled to win games at the 2A level. That was always the big red flag with me. I loved Cooper’s skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

IU/Butler/Notre Dame likes this.
  3. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

IU/Butler/Notre Dame Member

Money:
    $191
    amen and he will have people that can pass to an open man when they draw a second defender ....I bet there haven’t been four assists to him outside inbounds plays this whole season ...that’s mind boggling for someone who may be the best shooter in the state

butlerbreadman likes this.
  4. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    I understand that but I think that it’s probably the wrong comparison ...brown is at least 2-3 inches shorter and wouldn’t be the same type of physical body but think same shooting proficiency from outside but significantly quicker and better ball handler . Cooper got people open because he was such a deadly shooter ...brown creates shots because he under stands defenses and has as good of court vision and iq as anyone I’ve ever seen and I don’t say that lightly

5. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    Unbelievable ....two Blackfords and a southern wells ?!! Can a single thread handle that ?

6. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    This is an excellent point ....I love coopers shooting and game still but you’re exactly correct he and Moore were two high volume scorers ...brown is doing the same from a scoring standpoint at a more efficient Clíp while leading the state in assists at the same time ...I’ve tried to research it and so far I can’t find any leading scorer for Indiana who has also lead the state in assists ...anyone know one ?

7. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,655
    I would have never guessed.

8. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    Lol Karen ...are you having a cynical evening ? Have you gotten to see Luke play yet ?

9. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,643
    Am I the only one whose OCD can't handle this thread title being so close yet so far off from fitting in with the others?

As for Brown, I hate to say it, but I think it's telling that he's only got low major and mid major offers despite having more hype than any kid since Damon Bailey.

I hope he succeeds wherever he ends up, and if that's Butler I'm 100 percent on board. But I trust this staffs evals, and if they're not chasing him, I suspect there's a reason.

10. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    I don’t definitively think that is an incorrect outlook and I’m about as big a fan of his as you’ll find ...I have concerns about his size and how it would create a defensive liability ...I had the same concerns with Jordan hulls at iu and it ended up being a deficiency through his career. I think signing two ball handlers from the 2020 class is probably the main reason for nothing more than casual contact to this point and I agree I was skeptical last year but Jordan and his staff really have impressed me this year. I could see him sticking with a Toledo Miami or Akron that offers him immediate playing time as opposed to like a northwestern if they offer but I’m telling you guys by his upperclassman years he would be SUCH a classic bulldog

butlerbreadman likes this.
  11. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    Oh and also...the thread thing is my fault ...first day on here first thread I’ve ever created I had no clue My bad

HoosierDawg and NCJon like this.
  12. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,627
    I found this interesting. These are the final 247-sports recruiting rankings for our starting 5.

Thompson - #175
    Kamar - #155
    McDermott - #287
    Nze - NR
    Golden - #224

13. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    If anyone is bored Friday Blackford plays Madison grant and Madison grant has two solid juniors particularly the Howell boy ....they are good enough they can make Luke have to play very well to win so it could be a good one to watch

14. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,818
    Two things: You saying he’s a “classic bulldog” and other “Butler” mentions while acknowledging you can see him at a low major is a bit of a left handed compliment these days. Not saying we’re too big time for a kid like that, but the BE Bulldogs have to set their sights differently these days.

And you saying he’s on record as saying IU is his dream school isn’t exactly whispering sweet nothings in our ears. Makes me question his decision making ability:eek::D

15. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,861
    Any footage I've seen has shown Luke to be an absolute magician with the ball skills. Even at a young age he has demonstrated that. I expect he will see more offers soon and have an opportunity to get a quality education.

16. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,526
    Hard pass here. He will excel at Ball state or PFW. We will need a big 2021 not an undersized point guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    Lol ok ok that’s a really fair statement ...BUT ...if you’ll allow me ...1. I didn’t mean to imply I thought there was a possibility that mid major was his ceiling but I can see where it would seem that way . What I meant by that was if a Clemson or northwestern ( who have spoken to him ...like a power six outlier ) were to offer but not guarantee him immediate time I think he’s SO competitive that he might take an Akron or a Miami OH if they were to say “ you can run the point” and he might find that appealing or a personal challenge to see if he can get that type of team into a tourney or maybe even make some sort of umbc/Loyola Chicago/wafford type noise because that’s his type of personality ...he’s a gamer. I think if he were offered a spot at a successful program like butler and was willing to redshirt and just work with the team and work with strength coaches he would be a classic butler type player in the vein of a graves , Lewis , Hart , etc. 2. I also agree with your point on the big East requiring a different approach than the horizon or even A10 as far as athletes and how we play defense ....ten years ago Luke brown is Hahn only with better ball handling and passing ...now we have to be more athletic as a result of competition so I do get that I really do BUT our identity is still not in chasing the 5 star kids that want to get to the next level and make college a quick stop or stepping stone. Our identity is kids who excel off the court as people, in the classroom as students, and on the court it doesn’t matter how high they can jump they will simply outwork the other guy every possession and they can shoot the ball. I cannot stress enough how off the charts his court vision and direction is and he could be a big help on offense it’s just a question of if defensive deficiency due to size can be overcome

BUcheer likes this.
  18. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    Agree from the perspective we signed two 2020 point Guards ...agree on being a gamble being undersized ...disagree on “hard” pass .....wouldnt at all rule out going to a mac school and being a upperclassman transfer or grad transfer though

19. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    That is correct and I want to stress this...if you get a chance when he’s down in Indy with IE elite this summer or any chance to catch a Blackford game in person do it ...their game coverage has horrible camera work ...I have watched undersized guards live that went in to play D1 ...a couple very successful high major ...and he is well beyond anything I’ve seen at his age ...he can create openings for other players that I’ve never seen done and he’s doing it without a lot of help

20. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,861
    I'm not suggesting BU extend an offer to Brown. I would contend that BU is much more in the market for a wing than a big. BU currently has 4 bigs on the roster and will have 4 again next year with the addition of Wilmuth. BU has extended an offer to Furst, but that is only big. Granted things could change. Harris is 6'1"and Tate 6' even. Brown is roughly the same size?