Luke Brown - 2021 Point Guard (Stetson)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by IU/Butler/Notre Dame, Jan 8, 2020.

1. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

IU/Butler/Notre Dame Member

Money:
    $191
    I enjoy it and encourage you to stick around and catch the kid play as id love your opinion and discourse but if you absolutely can’t bring yourself to do it ...maybe NOT posting in it would be more likely to accomplish that odd goal ?

2. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    I think you’re jumping to an extreme even I wouldn’t ...well ...actually.....now that you say it you know maybe it’s not a bad idea I just would worry about getting involved with an agent and jeopardize his amateurism

( DISCLAIMER heavy sarcasm added for anyone who would be concerned Or otherwise prone to misconception as a result of my frequent posting on the topic )

In all seriousness though ...aside from your comment making me laugh ...I do get your point and skepticism. I’m just asking you to do as our rich program history has taught us and go evaluate it yourself, not just base your opinion on the current offers. I think he’s make you a believer at best or less of a detractor at worst

3. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,001
    I don't think anyone is trying to disregard the player here, it's the board cluttering over-analysis of a kid who:

1. Is undersized without the elite athleticism to compensate for it in the Big East (the 3-4 inches he is missing compared to the recruits we are in on is a HUGE deal)
    2. Plays the same position of 2 commits the year ahead of him that are much more highly regarded and rated
    3. Most importantly, has ZERO connection to Butler at the moment from a recruitment perspective
    I'm sure he's a good kid and player, but until Butler strikes out on the prospects they have targeted and we see some type of contact here, there is absolutely no reason to have 5 pages worth of discussion in 2 days about him.

butlerguy03, Shimmy, Tentozen and 4 others like this.
  4. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    I agree with your point number 1 and you can historically see that I frequently bring that up as well. I agree with you point number 2 and ditto to point 1 that I’ve posted that frequently

I completely disagree that it’s “ not disregard of the player but more board cluttering of over analysis” 1. This is a Luke brown thread so it can’t by clutter with Luke brown info 2. A large part of the reason it has 5 pages in two days , aside from him being the most polarizing player in the state , is that a quarter of the posts are people doing exactly what you just said they weren’t which is discounting the player with ZERO analysis and an argument of “ no he’s not got any major offers so he sucks you obviously don’t know anything about basketball “ and then one quarter of the posts are me saying “ yes I do and that’s a silly and or lazy reason to discount anyone”

YOUR post was the closest thing to objective evaluation that’s occurred and it wasn’t over evaluation. I would actually like some evaluation discussion. Have you seen him live ?

5. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,655
  6. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,609
  7. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    Don’t do it on game day ...or in a year we could win the big East

8. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,302
    I haven't used the ignore function yet, cause I thought I can take anything, but this is getting me closer to the edge than ever before...Kudos to this guy to getting me to a new level...

IU/Butler/Notre Dame likes this.
  9. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,609
    Straight up: I hope this kid doesn’t go to Butler now. I hope we never recruit him. That’s how obnoxious his cousin or whoever is.

10. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    Yikes ....let’s start over

11. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    Not his cousin That would be neat though....wishing Ill on a kid or our dawgs because of not liking me is a little extreme ...he’s a player that will help whatever program he ends up ....now as much as I love the fun banter ...you guys are starting to sound like a bunch of 84 year old woman , do either of you have some critique of his actual playing we can discuss ? Or maybe anything relevant to his accomplishments we can debate other than him not having any power 6 offers OR me posting a lot which we have covered a lot thus far .....

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    HoosierDawg likes this.
  12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,983
    It doesn't make any sense. Setting aside that Butler has two PGs in the 2020 class, Butler has shown no interest. Just like we don't talk about 5 star players with no connection to Butler, I'd prefer not to see post after post after post - driven by one person's interest - about a 2 star player with no connection to Butler.

Second, I went to a school very similar to Blackford. The competition is just a completely different animal, and to try to derive anything from the successes of a player playing teams with 6-2 centers is misguided.

You want a good comparison? Check out Bruce Grimm. He was a guard at another small Northern Ind. school about ten years ago. He was unstoppable and ended up second in the Mr. Basketball voting (2009 I think?). Averaged something like 30-6-6. He went to ETSU and played about 4 minutes per game before transferring to an NAIA school. And he was taller and bigger than Luke.

13. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    Thank you thank you THANK you ....a relevant and cogent argument. I was NOT familiar with Bruce and will check him out , hopefully they have some high school game tape. Do you know if he played AAU at all ?

I agree only about 7-10 games of 23 on Blackfords schedule provide any true evaluation opportunity but I think they are actually covering both sides of the coin because he gets the top level players in the summer and he gets the small town attention during the school season

having made that post is it fair for me to assume because of where you went you’ve had the opportunity to see a fair amount of 2 and 3 A basketball ?

14. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,302
    people just stop feeding him crap, cause he's going to literally write something on every...single...post... the only thing/ best idea is just nobody say anything more and maybe it'll go away back under a bridge...

15. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    Exactly I like the call ...but since you at least partially care and ...by your arguments you do follow prep ball at least mildly ...can you give me your actual eval of him if you’ve seen him live ( I have lost track of who has and hasnt ) ? Like I said I know he’s polarizing but I think it’s fascinating people aren’t more curious given the first time or rare accomplishments he’s pulling off on a regular basis ...and also since we are fellow bulldog fans I want to stress that a lot of what I say is tongue in cheek so I hope I didn’t truly upset or insult you in anyway ...even if taking the ignoring strategy I hope you pop in on occasion or check his progress to see if any changes in interest level occur after CONSENSUS top tier guys make their intentions clear this summer and teams start shifting to plans B or C

HoosierDawg likes this.
  16. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Well-Known Member

Money:
    $547
    I see said the blind man who spat in the wind. It’s all coming back to me now.

Now to a joke to lighten up this thread.

A couple goes to the holy land for a vacation. The faith-filled wife had been nagging her agnostic husband for decades to visit the sites, and since they were now retired he relented. During the vacation tragedy strikes. The wife dies and the husband has to make funeral arrangements. During this process a government official explains to the husband that his wife can be laid to rest in the holy land for only $5,000 or she can be sent back home on a plane and laid to rest for about $40,000.

After much contemplation and thought the husband tells the government official that he will pay the extra money to have his wife flown back home. The befuddled government official asks why he has decided to spend so much more money to send his wife back home when her last will and testament clearly states that she wanted to be buried in the holy land.

The husband thinks for just a split second and looks the government official directly in the eye and says, “My wife use to talk about this really famous guy who was buried somewhere in this area many years ago and he came back to life. Well...I simply cannot take that risk with my wife even though I don’t believe any of it.”

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

17. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    Lol I’m not sure how I haven’t heard that before ....but it literally just made me laugh out loud ...well done sir

18. ap234

ap234 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,007
    Except Luke already has multiple D1 offers. I get that eveyone knocks him for his size, school and everything else but the kid can play. He could play at Butler, IU, Purdue or really anywhere and contribute. Would he be a star? Probably not. He is similar to Jordan Bohannon at Iowa imo and that is pretty good. For a more recent high school player think Luke Bumbalough at Ball State from New Castle. Both Luke's are very similar. Bumbalough could have played at Butler, IU or anywhere else as well. He's averaging about 8 ppg and shooting like 38% from 3 as a freshman starter at Ball State. Now would these guys play as freshman at a bigger school? Probably not but who knows and sometimes or most or the time those players help out in the long run as juniors and seniors.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  19. IU/Butler/Notre Dame

Money:
    $191
    Amen ....THIS is butler mentality when it comes to kids who are gamers

20. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,839
    Can we move this thread to recruiting notes? Or delete it? There is nothing connecting Butler to this kid and every other 2021 recruit who has their own thread has an offer.

mwall787 and willisbrown like this.