Major Announcement on Tuesday, April 26

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by gmoser1210, Apr 18, 2016.

1. chc3

chc3 Active Member

Money:
    $154
    CTS was actually a part of Butler from 1855 until 1958. It was the Butler School of Religion and became a free-standing seminary in '58. The school of religion used to be in what is now Robertson Hall. A merger only make sense for both institutions partly because Butler was formed affiliated with the Disciples of Christ and CTS has maintained that as well as other church affiliations - it can spread the donor list as well as enhance the academic opportunity...

2. DuckOnAModerator

DuckOnAModerator Active Member

Money:
    $48
    I don't think that there is any interest in Butler reaffiliating with the church. Butler has been a secular institution for a long time now.

3. ButlerHomer

ButlerHomer Active Member

Money:
    $297
    I'd prefer the university to not be affiliated with a religion.

4. jimmychitwood

jimmychitwood Member

Money:
    $5
    I would only be on board if they promised to name Kim Davis dean of the school.

5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,061
    +1. I don't think there's any chance it'd happen, anyway. When you've been secular for as long as Butler has, it's going to be really difficult to become affiliated with any religious sect without upsetting/alienating the majority of your alumni base (as no religious sect has anything near a majority at Butler; my guess is there are more Catholics than anything else, but I'd be surprised if it were more than a third. I guess if you lump all protestants together, you'd probably have over 50%, but if you go that route you're still going to alienate the largest plurality (Catholics) as well as any non-christians).

6. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,514
    seadawg likes this.
  7. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,402
    bumba, estar20dawg and joliebeth23 like this.
  8. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $755