Mark Smith - 2017 Point Guard (Illinois)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,012
  2. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,012
    Butler was in to see 2017 6'4" point guard Mark Smith on Wednesday. Indiana just offered him this week.

3. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,882
  4. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,039
    This escalated quickly. Thought we were done with 2017.

2017 Edwardsville (IL) G Mark Smith has received an offer from Butler. (HT @Coachmcmurray) @Mark_Smith_13 verbalcommits.com/players/mark-s…

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Because it's a message board and we love to speculate, I know we have one scholie left for 2017 but I wonder if the staff suspects a transfer. It sure who though.

5. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,012
    Butler just starting recruiting him recently. He's only blown up late, which is why you won't see him ranked anywhere. I'm getting a new thread up now.

6. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,012
    I guess he is actually ranked 78th on Rivals. I had no idea.

HoosierDawg and Hinkle like this.
  7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,073
    Well, this is exciting. Rivals says 78th nationally - is that just a very recent update that is accounting for his taking off? What is the story here?

That is a LOT of size for a PG.

Said it a million times, but with the immediate playing time we can offer, you'd sure think we'd be able to capture some interest here...

8. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,135
    Rivals has him at 78 Nationally.

9. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,135
    Yes, he went from unranked to 78th in their most recent update. Kid has exploded this high school season.

Hinkle likes this.
  10. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,073
    Woah.

11. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,012
  12. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $80
    Offers from IU, Illinois, Kansas State and DePaul.

13. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,073
  14. Irishdawg

Money:
    $80
    I'd actually guess they're taking a chance on getting a guy who would be able to help them immediately vs. taking in a transfer next year who might only be able to help for one season, but you never know.

15. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,012
    Even if they do suspect a transfer (I'm not sure who that would be?), I can't imagine them taking someone they don't think is ready to step in and help them right away. We've said all along that there was 1 spot left for them to take if they stumbled across someone they fall in love with. Apparently that has happened.

Ignatius J. Reilly likes this.
  16. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,882
  17. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,012
  18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,524
    Looks like he has the size needed to defend guys like Sumner or Brunson. Agree with others that Smith would see the court quickly if he chose BU. We desperately need an upgrade at PG.

I could also see a transfer in the offseason, if only because the incoming class is so good.

19. Irishdawg

Money:
    $80
    In terms of who Butler is competing against for this young man, it really depends on what he's looking for. IU, regardless if Blackmon stays or goes is going to have quite a bit of competition for minutes over the next couple of years with Johnson, Newkirk, Jones and Green all there next year and Jones and Green for the next 3. Illinois frankly has even less competition that's currently there than Butler, but then they've also got 3 guards signed to come in next year who are all rated pretty similarly to what he is. Butler's got Baldwin, Baddley and Jorgensen (with Butler and Neese coming in), but IMO at worst he'd be one of the first guys off the bench and in all likelihood would be one of the starters at some point next season.

This isn't even taking into account the temperature of both Crean's and Groce's seats right now. My guess is if Crean doesn't make the tournament, he's probably done since his buyout dropped considerably this year. Groce I'm not sure on, but it seems he's been on his last legs in Champaign the last two seasons. It's going to be very tough IMO to get this kid (I don't think the offers are going to slow down), but if they do, they'll be extremely young next year, and extremely talented.

20. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,006
    Holy Crap at that video - please get this kid. A 6'4 PG with that athleticism who can shoot 3s like that?? Uh yeah.

You realize what a matchup problem this guy would be??? With those skills he could play the 2 as well, which would allow Baldwin to play the 1 and Holt to get creative.

We desperately need some more athleticism (although I'd prefer a bouncy 4), and this kid fits.

Butler would be surpremely talented next year, and my guess is McDermott and Baddley would see little to no time.

1 - Baldwin, this guy, Jorg
    2 - This Guy, Baldwin, David, Neese
    3 - Kelan (and? David with his size?)
    4 - Young and Fowler
    5 - Wideman, Fowler, Brunk

That's 10 without Butler, McDermott or Baddley. That's an outstanding lineup.