Mark Smith - 2017 Point Guard (Illinois)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Feb 3, 2017.

1. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,647
    Wonder if OSU will get involved with Smith? Pretty sure Pedon was assigned to him last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,963
    I don't think he'll be able to transfer in conference.

BUcheer likes this.
  3. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,551
    Hinkle likes this.
  4. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,826
    Since when has size determined if a kid can play and be productive at BU? If Smith is honestly considering BU then we can debate. ​

estar20dawg and SpartanDawgs like this.
  5. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $602
    I actually mostly agree with bumba on this one, at least as it relates to Baddley this season. As much as he has improved, offensively, I'd put him roughly in the same category as McDermott. A guy who can hurt you if you leave him open, but who is unlikely to create his own shot, so as long as you don't abandon him he won't burn you but a couple of times a game.

I have no idea where Smith is at in that ability. I do know that Illini fans pretty much universally agreed that he wasn't quick enough to make the defense collapse, but if you're an elite shot-maker like Kelan can be, you don't have to have crazy athleticism to do that. Personally, I don't think I'd initially look at him as a guy that I'd rely on as much as Butler has this year with Martin and Baldwin, but that doesn't mean he can't get there.

6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,018
    May be able to get a waiver like Dakich and others.

7. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,018
    This is the basic problem with this team- scoring options. Outside of KM and KB we only have a streaky PJ and sometimes Wideman on put backs. That is why I wish McD would shoot more. He seems to pass up on a fair number of good looks. McD is good at cutting and sensing rebounds. I'd bet his ability off the dribble will improve a lot by next year particularly since KM is graduating. Butler is actually a fairly easy team to defend- stop KB dribble drive, double KM, drop off AT and just block out the bigs.

FlyForaWeitzGuy and estar20dawg like this.
  8. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,647
    I’d like to see the ball get to Sean more often. It seems like he gets open, but is either ignored or isn't asking for it. How bout a few set plays/screens too.

9. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $964
    I agree regarding McDermott. He is super efficient and takes great looks (mostly 3s and layups). At the worst, his percentages drop a little bit. But I would take his efficiency taking a hit for him to get up 3-6 more shots/game. Plus, just having him as a more aggressive threat likely opens lanes up for KB, KM, PJ.

10. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,018
    McD's efficiency numbers probably suck which may explain why he doesn't shoot more.

11. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $1,783
    Pete Campbell was a spot up shooter and couldn’t create his own shot and pretty sure he did fine offensively.

12. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $964
    what are you talking about regarding his efficiency numbers sucking? He shoots 49 from 2, 42 from 3, 82 from the line.

13. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,018
    I have to defer to Hinkle on the efficiency numbers/ metrics. I'm was being facetious.

14. dawgnation

dawgnation Member

Money:
    $129
    David and Brunk in starting line up together? I don’t think so because neither have done anything productive or shown any signs of promise in the future no offense. CD isn’t going to turn into a scoring stud at this rate like you think he is.

dippper61 likes this.
  15. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,551
    Because Brunk and David weren’t great as freshmen, they’ll never be starters at Butler?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    estar20dawg and UDDawg like this.
  16. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,826
    Smith didn't exactly burn it up as a frosh either.

17. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,186
    Neither did Baddley as a freshman.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,120
    Wideman graduates in May. He plays out of position at the 5. Kelan graduates in May. David has often substituted for him at the 4.

Who else on the roster do you see at these positions? Fowler gets dominated in the post every game he plays. Kyle Young plays for O$U.

19. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,120
    Baddley's jump shot is inconsistent at best. There's a reason he had no high major schools recruiting him when Boltmann offered and he accepted immediately. Good kid, but probably not a starter in the BE.

20. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,186
    I understand that. Not saying his shot is great, but give him credit that it is much better than last year. I used to cringe every time he shot last year.

Never implied he would be a starterthis year, or even next, but I don’t think that anyone on here would be saying the same about Smith, either, as a sophomore at Butler. If he can continue to develop, though, with his defensive ability, I could see him seeing significant minutes next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops