Mark Smith - 2017 Point Guard (Illinois)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Dawgs4Life

Dawgs4Life Active Member

Money:
    $133
    Only by the strictest definition, of which there is none.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $710
    Who is the lead recruiter for Smith? From what I've been told, Holt should camp whoever it is outside Smith's house until he commits.

3. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,146
    Does Butler have a real shot here or this an uphill battle?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,973
    Yeah can you elaborate on this?

5. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,100
    Well the sheer volume of new offers, combined with Smith only having 2 official visits available, means it's an uphilll battle for virtually everyone.

6. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $710
    I was just asking which BU coach was heading up Smith's recruitment. The second statement refers to guys I know that have seen Smith play and who can't believe how good he's become since he refocused from baseball to basketball. One, who coaches in the SEC, says Smith would be the best player on his team today.

7. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,442
    While I attempt to refrain from getting overly excited about an uncommitted recruit, it appears Smith is absolutely BE material based on the footage I viewed. Hopefully things pan out.

8. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $564
    If he really is the 78th best player out there, he's "material" for any power conference team. That being the case, the law of averages say it's extremely unlikely we'll get him, but we should definitely try. Three years ago we didn't have a chance at that kind of player. Now we do.

9. I Am Butler

Money:
    $4,100
    Groce getting dismissed at the end of the year would likely help things, as Illinois seems to be in a good position here. If the "way to early" speculation that Groce could then end up on staff with Butler . . . that would be even better.

10. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $405
    Regarding the "way too early" speculation on Groce, who on Butler's staff would he be replacing?

11. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,951
    There has been some chatter about Schrage getting a chance and there's always annual speculation about TJ.

12. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,558
    Isn't TJ in charge of defense? End of subject.

dippper61 likes this.
  13. I Am Butler

Money:
    $4,100
    End of what subject? You think TJ is going to pass on a better opportunity to continue calling defense from the sidelines?

14. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,180
    I am guessing that Insane Dawg is suggesting that no one will be interested in TJ's services because Insane Dawg believes our defense is struggling and no program would want those struggles in their program. But I am just guessing.

PSUButlerFan and UDDawg like this.
  15. huss587

huss587 Active Member

Money:
    $304
    I think Insane Dawg is eluding to the fact that our defense has, perhaps, underperformed this year (particularly in conference play). I know we have a top 45ish defensive efficiency rating per kenpom. You could argue how "good" that is in the grand scheme of things, but I would say it currently doesn't pass the eye test... Correct me if I'm wrong Insane...

If TJ still gets opportunities to explore openings elsewhere when the seasons over, then I agree with your sentiment (and hopefully he does, it would most likely mean our defense improves)... That being said, I lost track in my own post as to how this pertains to Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,558
    I'm referring to our defense. Maybe it is highly regarded according to analytics, Kenprom or whomever. But visually it has not been good for many games. Bwhy would someone hire our defensive coach when the defense has been destroyed by three point shots?

17. I Am Butler

Money:
    $4,100
    TJ has been well regarded for several years. I dont believe schools are going to hold 1 season against him.

Regardless, Schrage is the one most likely to get plucked for a HC opportunity. In which case Groce, a highly-regarded recruiter, would be a great replacement.

Tark43 likes this.
  18. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,973
    Yeah I'd take Groce... just not as a head coach. Illinois is putrid.

19. steve

steve Member

Money:
    $132
    247's crystal ball has Northwestern 100%, FWIW.

joeglasgow71 likes this.
  20. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,689
    Just one prediction, though. He got a Texas offer today.