Mark Smith - 2017 Point Guard (Illinois)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Feb 3, 2017.

1. MBA2003

MBA2003 Active Member

Money:
    $698
    I see very little risk going after a guy who blew up late in recruiting and you happen to have a scholarship to give. Butler is a "team-first" program. I think most recruits understand that. The fact that the stars align in the coaching zodiac for our competition makes this even more interesting. This whole situation tells me how far BU has come in recruiting. I say go for it!

Go Dawgs!

Hinkle likes this.
  2. WhyRock

WhyRock Member

Money:
    $33
    Annnnddddd....... Groce is out. Suppose that helps.

3. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,491
    Groce just got fired.

4. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,353
  5. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,973
    Can we get Tilmon? Smith seems like a stud, but I'd rather have the 5-star 6'10 kid. An athletic rim prototector who can board and score inside? Uh... yes.

I know this isn't the Butler Way, and I know it isn't even realistic, but if you could get both, you encourage McD or Henry to transfer.

6. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $67
    As you said, no way they do that. Groce getting fired helps a lot, but still a long way to go before Smith makes his decision.

7. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,442
    WTF. Running players off? Getting kids to leave?

8. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,075
    Terry and Ryan both.

9. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $7,973
    Not the Butler Way, but welcome to big time college athletics in this decade.

You don't boot them... you just show they have an uphill battle to play and let them make their own decisions.

Butler would be amazing with Smith and the 5-star kid Illinois has. Legit Final Four talent for years.

10. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,998
    No, no, and no. Butler does special things with the talent it's got because the culture is special. You don't throw that in the trash so you can get one good player.

IU is a culture-less collector of talent. Doesn't work out real well.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

bwesson15, dawgs2014, huss587 and 4 others like this.
  11. Tark43

Tark43 Active Member

Money:
    $346
    I totally agree. If you have a kid on your roster that is clearly never going to contribute to the level that meets the kid's expectation, then you consider having a discussion with him, for the kid's best interest. But you don't run him out, and certainly not to make room for somebody else.

I don't care what decade it is, or who else is doing it the wrong way. There's still room in the world for a little bit of class.

Sent from my XT1049 using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $553
    Hope we're able to make traction with him. PG is a huge hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. tlp63

tlp63 Member

Money:
    $111
    100% agree

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $7,973
    Eh Nick Saban and Alabama would disagree with you. But maybe this is more of a football thing.

Still, there's nothing wrong with Holt sitting down a player at the end of the year one-on-one meeting and saying, "I have xyz players coming in, and they will be ahead of you on the depth chart." It's not pulling a ship (which I don't condone), but it is being honest with a player. Given most want to play, they will likely transfer, which is how you can make room.

15. seadawg

Money:
    $3,442
    I guarantee CH has individual meetings with all players post season. The purpose would be to evaluate strengths, weaknesses and progress along with identifying areas that need improvement. Suggesting running off a player to make room for another, is just plain wrong for the way this program operates. The players along with their parents should determine if it's time to move on but certainly not the fans. If and only when there is an academic, disciplinary or where expectations are not being met by the player would be issues where this type of action would be appropriate. Furthermore the players mentioned are freshmen that made contributions this season.

16. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,180
    Mark Smith had 12 points tonight in a 76-64 loss to Chicago Simeon in the State Quarterfinals.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,689
    No shame at all in losing to Simeon.

18. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,180
    Agreed. That's kinda why I added the opponent. Those in IL know Simeon is legenday. Edwardsville finished season 30-2 overall.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Butler Hoops mobile app

UDDawg likes this.
  19. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $656
    Why is Edwardsville playing a team from Chicago in the quarterfinals? They have to be 5 hours apart, right?

20. seadawg

Money:
    $3,442
    Simeon is #1, Edwardsville #3