Mark Smith - 2017 Point Guard (Offered)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Feb 3, 2017.

1. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Active Member

Money:
    $198
    Why is Edwardsville playing a team from Chicago in the quarterfinals? They have to be 5 hours apart, right?

2. seadawg

seadawg Active Member

Money:
    $678
    Simeon is #1, Edwardsville #3

3. butlernut

butlernut Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,336
    Illinois breaks all schools down to 4 classes. Then the quarterfinals (called super sectionals in Illinois) are hosted at big sites. This one was played in Normal (at Illinois State University). Because of makeup of the state, 3 of the 4 quarterfinals are played in Chicago suburb area. One is played downstate. Simeon got put in this one and Whitney Young got put in a different one. Those two could (should) meet for state title game Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Active Member

Money:
    $3,020
  5. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,283
    Leitao & Thad both watched, Cuonzo supposedly interested as well for Mizzou.

6. MBA2003

MBA2003 Active Member

Money:
    $617
    Absolutely no shame in losing to Simeon. I was a senior at a Chicago public league HS (Lane Tech) in 1984 when Ben Wilson was killed and it rocked the entire city. Teams like King, Simeon, Farragut were legendary. They were all in the old Red South and Red West Divisions (Red was a higher level of competition in the Chicago Public League than Blue). When my high school (which was in the old Blue North) would play any Red division team in basketball, it was absolute devastation (and that was before the 3 pt shot). Those were the days....

Go Dawgs!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  7. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,283
  8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,318
    Mark this one off.

9. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Active Member

Money:
    $3,020
  10. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $11,999
    You can read that multiple ways though.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

11. shoeevv

shoeevv Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $110
    I've heard BU is still very much in the game.

12. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator

Money:
    $343
    I can guarantee if he still talks with Groce that Butler is likely getting plenty of positive comments.

13. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,318
    Can't imagine Groce is taking any phone calls from him.

14. steve

steve Member

Money:
    $132
    Can you elaborate?
    Hopefully making the Sweet16 has helped our chances. But still, I'm not holding my breath.

15. seadawg

seadawg Active Member

Money:
    $678
    My response to the tweet is BU is and will continue to be a special place with or without Mark Smith.

Sonbog likes this.
  16. Tiles52

Tiles52 Member

Money:
    $52
    It will be interesting to see how the hiring of Brad Underwood at Illinois affects the recruitment of Mark Smith and Tim Finke.

17. shoeevv

shoeevv Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $110

From a Big 10 assistant coach. I agree with those that think it unlikely, but it's not over.

18. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Active Member

Money:
    $311
    He's going to a school that has a history of players going to the NBA after one or two years because that's his intention. No, I don't know him, but that's a pretty good guess. And I don't blame him.

That's not us. Maybe down the road, maybe never, but certainly not now. I don't fault the coaching staff for pursuing him, but he's not coming here.

19. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Member

Money:
    $59
    Illinois Gatorade player of the year! He re tweeted a tweet calling for him being starting PG at Butler next year too...for what its worth.

20. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,807