Markeese Hastings - 2018 Forward (Western Michigan)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 10, 2017.

1. ButlerHoopsFan

ButlerHoopsFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $711
    Who do you think is leaving/staying?

What would you say the roster looks like? Genuinely curious not being snarky (feel like we have to clarify that now on the board)

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,648
    I think AT stays because his game isn't ready to make money off of until he develops a jump shot. If he doesn't stay at Butler, then I think he goes to another high major program, which would be sad. I think CD is told that if he stays he won't get many minutes. I think Bolden can make some money in Europe and so can Nze. The only two that I really would want to stay are AT and Nze. Nze especially because our front court behind him is scary thin, unless of course we add an impact grad transfer. AT is simply one of the better players to ever put on a Butler uniform (jump shot or not) and if he decides to stay I would be more than happy.

2xDawg likes this.
  3. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,490
    If he hasn’t developed a jump shot in 4 years, I don’t see one more year making a difference. Would still be fine with having him back for his leadership and playmaking abilities.

4. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,180
    I'm ambivalent about David's return, but I think there is a discrepancy between how the fans see David and how the staff sees him. Many fans, including myself, consistently comment that there are no minutes for David moving forward. But he's the first guy off the bench. He just started for the first time the other day, I believe. Again, I do this too, but fans talk about David like he's someone who already never plays, but that's not the case. He's already getting minutes.

5. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,415
    I don’t understand how people can make just totally asinine claims like “his game isn’t ready to make money until he develops a jump shot.”

1) there are *obviously* other ways to be a good basketball player besides being a good jump shooter. Rajon Rondo was the starting point guard on a championship team making 5 threes all season. Being a good shooter is clearly a desirable skill for a basketball player, but so is speed, quickness, ambidexterity, ball handling, defensive ability, passing and rebounding. He does all of those other things.

2) We had a player become a pro without a jump shot within the last 5 years: Roosevelt Jones.

Will he be an NBA player? No. The lack of a jump shot will keep him out of the NBA. It will also keep him out of the top couple leagues in Europe. He will still be able to play basically anywhere else he wants though, if he wants to do so.

HoosierDawg and 2xDawg like this.
  6. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,191
    Cr
    Credit to Christian for stepping up when he was absolutely needed. Clearly the staff thinks his length is helpful in certain matchups. However the fact we’ve been missing starters for 3 games has something to do with his minutes/starting. I just see no scenario where he returns (assuming JaKobe is back) with Taylor and Thomas coming in. Not to mention if they hit on an impact transfer.

godogs91 likes this.
  7. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,180
    Sure -- I just think we as fans can get a bit ahead of ourselves with proclamations about kids' roles. My larger point is what the staff values may be different than what we do as fans.

That said, I'd be surprised he's back too but I don't feel as certain as you do. I will echo your sentiments lauding his readiness to step up when needed. He's had a rough career.

BUcheer likes this.
  8. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,314
    There are always defections for almost every team across the board season to season. A season this turbulent? I'd say odds are high there will be one or two more. There isn't a player(s) that jump out at me it's just been the norm for many years now.

And someone else's defection could be our blessing. We'll see...Let's hope LJ identifies a shooter and goes balls out for him. Even if it's a 10-12 minute a game dude, a threat from the outside will help so much.

9. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,876
    Well it certainly won't hurt to bring in two guys who can knock down 3's in Thomas and Taylor. Both in catch and situations are 40% plus shooters, and Taylor is much better off the dribble and creating. But it's not like we aren't getting a couple more guys who can shoot next year. I wouldn't say no to a 6'7 3 and D guy but I still would prefer and athletic big who can guard on the perimeter and rebound first

10. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,314
    I also think Tater Tot's shot gets there. He didn't just forget to shoot (at least let's hope). I believe we'll have a couple good longer perimeter in Coles and Scooby...but we can always use another. Especially if they can knock it down. But either way our guards have to get better from deep...and I believe they will. Adding a pure launcher will take away some pressure from them. I'd love a banger big as well...but those don't grow on trees like they used to.

11. estar20dawg

Money:
    $5,876
    I mean I don't know how much better you want Harris to shoot, he's 40% as a freshman, I think you are just confusing how bad Tate has been that is bringing you down. I think even Wilmoth is shooting better than Tate is from 3

12. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,314
    Yes...combo wise they'll get better. I've been very happy with Chuck's shooting from out there an coming into this year, Tate was a better bomber. His will come...imagine having a backcourt like that both around 38-40%. Oh we don't have to, we've had those before. That's what I believe they will be for sure.

Add a wing sniper we in theory should be pretty devastating from deep.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  13. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,053
    To be honest, the only thing that I negatively opine regarding Harris/Tate is that both of them get too far ahead of themselves by getting to the lane (which the penetration is great) and then get caught mid-air and - BOOM - instant turnover. I can almost give it a pass because I think this is how the offense is envisioned - ball movement initiated from the defense collapsing the paint, which almost always leaves someone open.

The thing that I do not get is, if it sticks out like a sore thumb to me, wouldn’t a coach like LVJ, who played the position, be able to address it? If they can get that under control and play a little more within themselves or just anticipate better, this will be a pretty fun team to watch for the next four years.

14. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,314
    When is penetration not great?

I think the game is still running fast for both of them, but more for Tater Tot than Harris. But Tater Tot now vs a few weeks ago you can see the slow down happening.

I did not expect Harris to be this good of a shooter his whole career, let alone right away. When Tate catched up, it's bomb city up top.

15. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,110
    Chuck has been a pleasant surprise from 3, but he has to become more efficient from 2. His overall FG% isn't good. I think and hope that when he and Tate get better at creating our shots in rhythm their % will go up meaningfully. As disjointed as our offense is, we don't get a lot of attempts that are in a rhythm or flow, which is critical for efficiency.

My biggest concern about those two playing big minutes together is their size.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

16. estar20dawg

Money:
    $5,876
    Well the problem is when he is driving he is the only 3 point shooter on the floor usually so when he's driving he's driving into 5 defenders plus our own players, that's a lot of traffic. I suspect the lanes will open up and be easier to finish when we get a Taylor, a Thomas, another Transfer. If we could put 3 or more shooters out there, it'll make it a whole heck of a lot easier to finish. I think you'll see a direct correlation to a much better overall FG % when we can create proper spacing

17. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,804
    Committed to Western Michigan university

As a side note...so did Lamar Norman Jr so they’ll be back together. Good luck guys

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

bumba, WestLoopDog, BoyGeoff and 7 others like this.