Markeese Hastings - 2018 Forward (Western Michigan)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Melvin Goldberg

Melvin Goldberg Member

Money:
    $46
    He was offered by Wyoming in June.

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyom...cle_d511dcfb-aef9-527d-9ae6-dbda3736c511.html

"Wyoming offered Markeese Hastings, a 6-foot-6, 195-pound small forward from Wyoming, Michigan, on June 19.

Hastings also holds offers from Northwood, Ferris State, Grand Valley State and Indianapolis.

He is not ranked by Rivals, 247 Sports, Scout or ESPN."

2. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,798
    I apologize if that was unclear meant had zero heading into June, picked up his first in June, here was his summer league stats:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Previous
    Next

3. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,083
    Looks like a good shot blocker and defensive rebounder. Outside of that, looks like a project.

4. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $399
    He just looks like a Cleveland St player, which would seem appropriate because that’s who was recruiting him. It’s a lottery ticket. Not much you can do than hope for the best.

5. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,903
    It is so, so tired. I know you have to come on here to get a rise because no one interacts with you on Twitter, but when does it get old for you?

6. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,935
    You just read like an always wrong, former male cheerleader, with a mass inferiority complex , which would seem appropriate because that's who you are. It' sad. Not much you can do but hope for the best.

7. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,125
    This is an interesting comparison to Marshall. Videos look like he's scrappy in the lane but seems to have better handles in transition. Baddley still doesn't have a consistent outside shot, so Hastings may be ahead of the curve there too.

Also agree with others he looks physically capable for D1, especially if he spends another year in the weight room adding muscle.

Could be a steal considering where LJ started from. Welcome to the Big East, Markeese.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  8. Melvin Goldberg

Melvin Goldberg Member

Money:
    $46
    Its an absolute steal. This kid will be a leader Day 1. I saw that he is Homecoming King at his school, so you know he has a strong personality.

Going forward I'm going to nickname him the Marquis De Sade.

I'd rather have him than Young, Neese, Udeze, Moore, Kopp, etc.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  9. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,433
    Given where we are at (lack of commitments and many open scholarships), this is the kind of player it makes sense to take. With his frame and athleticism, he has obvious potential to be a plus player - almost surely not immediately, but perhaps by the time he's an upperclassman and knows the defense cold. I think it's fair to assume there is a pretty serious skills deficiency for his athleticism to be what it is and yet still have such a short and un-impressive offer list. But given where we're at, you have to take some chances on potential, and he's obviously got some of that.

10. bd5

bd5 Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $3,289
    While I actually agree with you regarding Neese, Udeze, and Moore, let's not get carried away here. Young and Kopp are/will be instance impact guys and at this point (based on the information in front of us) would CLEARLY be better options than Hastings.

With that said, I like the make-up of what I've been able to read/see on Hastings within the last 12 hours or so. Kid seems like a leader on a stacked HS team and is definitely trending up following a solid UA circuit.

The lack of high major offers, while curious, doesn't outweigh the potential ceiling in my opinion - especially given that we can consider this a swap for Neese, with multiple scholarships still available.

Will be fun to watch him this upcoming season compete against some great competition.

11. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,848
    A lot of things to like about Markeese and he seems to have a lot of upside if he can continue to develop. I was impressed that he is so smooth and natural with both hands around the rim. In the first video I watched (in the Verbal Commits profile which mostly showed put backs, drives, and lay-ups) I couldn’t tell for the first 30-45 seconds if he was left-handed or right-handed. Being able to use both hands easily will serve him well in the future.

estar20dawg likes this.
  12. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,132
    Like your enthusiasm, but you might want to rethink the nickname;) Looks like it gets shortened to ”Keese”

13. indienapolis

indienapolis Active Member

Money:
    $362
    Ah yes, named after the original sadist, and sexual libertine. Makes sense...

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $567
    I️ think Vall has shown he has a good eye for talent. I️ trust this offer, particularly given his athleticism and length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LA-OC-IE likes this.
  15. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,130
    So is the thought moving forward that he's going to play SF/wing or that he’s going to be like Khyle Marshall and play PF?

he’s still growing:p

16. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,511
    I feel like I've said this a million times by now, but wings are not a need for '18, so I like this pick-up A LOT. Has a high ceiling, and we aren't 100% dependent on him panning out.

17. chc3

chc3 Active Member

Money:
    $254
    Just to stir the pot... How about a 2/3 guard/forward. It fits the faster transition pace after rebounds...

18. LA-OC-IE

LA-OC-IE Active Member

Money:
    $254
    Sounds like a great kid... excited to have him on board. Welcome Markeese.
    http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports...nds-humble-versatile-forward-out-of-michigan/

19. joliebeth23

joliebeth23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,661
    Looks like a great "get" before he got noticed much by other major programs. His athleticism certainly looks promising.

20. ButlerHomer

ButlerHomer Well-Known Member

Money:
    $411
    I definitely trust our coaches with Michigan kids. This will be yet another steal for Butler.