Markeese Hastings - 2018 Forward (Western Michigan)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 10, 2017.

1. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,999
    Excited about this recruit
    Was just talking about Marashall the other night with my brother and how great he was
    He could be this kind of player and college teams need that
    Nice work butler coaches

2. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,620
    Another great find. Appears to have that inside toughness we will need going forward.

3. SchlabbaDawg

SchlabbaDawg Active Member

Money:
    $3,149
    He fills a need, and I do trust the staff's ability to identify talent, but I do not get the excitement. Is it because we finally have a commit? If he's Kyle Marshall, I will be thrilled, but wasn't Marshall more regarded coming out? I get that he's a late bloomer, just don't get the excitement level.

Ignatius J. Reilly likes this.
  4. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,343
    Part of it is the high ceiling he brings - and part is a mild case of euphoria seeing that LJ was able to get some good potential in spite of being dealt a crap set of cards thanks to the mess left by Boltmann.

5. seadawg

Money:
    $8,620
    Agreed. Many folks are probably relieved.

6. bd5

bd5 Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $3,289
    There is little risk (multiple scholarships still available) and high upside in a position that Butler needs. Meyer was one of the lead recruiters, and he knows Michigan very well

7. ap234

ap234 Active Member

Money:
    $371
    Yes Marshall was 3/4 star recruit coming out of high school.

8. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,169
    I'd probably be optimistic about signing any under the radar kid who started blowing up over the summer in AAU after averaging a double double during his junior year (on one of the best teams in his state).

I also like the fact that the player & coach have said he spends lots of time in the weight room & wants to get bigger. We have several guys on the current roster that need this attitude.

estar20dawg likes this.
  9. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,916
    Hastings signed his commitment letter today.

NCJon, PSUButlerFan, Tark43 and 7 others like this.
  10. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,876
    He just posted a brand new workout video today:

He's definitely athletic, seems like a dedicated hard worker, and can step out and provide some matchup problems

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  11. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,839
    Time to change that VERBAL to a SIGNED

12. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,110
    Just needs to keep working and improving. I think if his skills catch up with his motor, he can definitely be a solid to good piece for the Dawgs.

bmradio99 likes this.
  13. Melvin Goldberg

Melvin Goldberg Member

Money:
    $46
    Do you think if Markeese wouldn't have committed right away, he would have started getting other big offers based on his Butler offer?

It just seemed like Kopp and Moore started getting a lot of big offers after they got offered here...

Is there really a correlation? Would the same phenomenon have played out with Keese?

godogs91 and Dawg4ever like this.
  14. seadawg

Money:
    $8,620
    That seems to be the trend thus far.

15. ghostryder

ghostryder Active Member

Money:
    $186
    This morning's Indy Star announced our first 2018 recruit as Markeese Hastings, from Grand Rapids. I looked him up and found he was 6'7"; any other info on him other than stats? Is he more of a 3 or 4?

16. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,086
  17. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,400
    It seems like coaches are afraid to step out on a limb and offer a kid that they think is good enough, until they have that validation that other coaches agree that the kid is good. Butler has been that validation for programs on a lot of recruits since LaVall has taken over.

18. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,169
    BEastDawgs, BHayden, Tark43 and 5 others like this.
  19. The Hound

The Hound Active Member

Money:
    $215
    We evaluate character better than almost any other Div. I program, letting other schools use us as a screening tool. Once we get serious about a recruit, everyone else starts knocking on their door. Laziness on their part, due diligence on ours.

20. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $167
    I will play a little devils advocate here. We have to do our due diligence because we are running out of potential commits. So we have to look harder than any other program. X, MSU, & Mich, they don't need to look for these late bloomers. I also think we have targeted other recruits that X or OSU have looked at first. I do believe that LaVall and Co can find talent and when they offer someone, they have BE potential. But saying that we evaluate character better and find all the upcoming recruits before everyone is a little overboard. We evaluate character better than almost any other Div I program because the people with high character respects BU more than recruits with less character.

MSUDawg likes this.