Markeese Hastings - 2018 Forward (Western Michigan)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 10, 2017.

1. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,648
    According some some sources he actually measured 6'7 in a pre-draft workout. Some believe it's the reason he went undrafted. Even so, you get what I mean. Draymond Green a true 6'7 and he's a pretty good shot blocker.

I don't understand why people get so caught up in height anyway. Why should anyone care about where the top of someone's head is for basketball? We don't use our head to block shots or dunk. It's all about reach.

2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,916
    It's also about timing, quickness and ability to react quickly. Height is a big reason why Tyler Lewis was not a great shot blocker.

dawgs2014 and BulldogCTM like this.
  3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,550
    +100.

Draymond actually measured at 6’-5 3/4“ at the combine. His reach? 8’10” - the same as Perry Jones and Festus Ezeli, who each measured 6’10”, two inches HIGHER than the reach of Tyler Zeller, who measured 6’11-1/4”, and an inch and a half higher than the reach of Miles Plumlee, who’s 6-10 1/2).

Reach is infinitely more important than height. Height doesn’t actually mean anything in basketball *other than* being an imperfect proxy for reach. Draymond has very high shoulders and very long arms, so his effective height is like that of a 6-9 or 6-10 player even though he’s 6-6. We all marvel at his defense and rebounding at that height, but it’s really not surprising or complicated.

My guess is Baldwin’s effective height is something like 6-4 or 6-5, and Wideman is probably around 6-10 - both have high shoulders and long arms, and both can defend well above what their height might suggest (conversely, Fowler’s effective height may be below his real height of 6-10).

(Can’t recommend “The Sports Gene” highly enough. It’s a deep dive in how sports performance is influenced at the highest levels by factors we routinely overlook.)

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

troggy and Irishdawg like this.
  4. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,619
    There are always exceptions to the rule. Whether or not Hastings is a shot blocker is in essence immaterial. The real question is can he be effective as a power forward and he certainly could be. Time will tell.

znelson15 likes this.
  5. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,169
    I love strawman comps to nba players, especially elite nba players

6. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $167
    "Good as advertised
    The Wolverines appeared to be the team to beat in the Grand Rapids area heading into Tuesday’s season opener with a pair of Division I commits in Lamar Norman and Markeese Hastings leading the way, and the two didn’t disappoint. Hastings, who has committed to Butler, scored 23 points, including 11 in the opening quarter to spark the Wolverines early."

BHayden, Mad_Dawg 48, Hinkle and 4 others like this.
  7. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,110
    I'd prefer they continue to go for Thompson. That way I don't have to learn new names as we transition from Aaron to Isaiah.

BHayden likes this.
  8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,916
    UTEP's coach all of a sudden retired last week. Kids that go there tend not to be strong academically.

BHayden and NateDog like this.
  9. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,169
  10. El Conquistador

El Conquistador Member

Money:
    $54
    Have you ever been to Wyoming Mi? Not exactly a hoops hotbed

I have spoken.
    (Hello, NSA)

11. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $167
    Drew Neitzel? Also Godwin Heights. Where Hastings goes. Is an elite basketball program for their class.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

12. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,343
    Xavier Tillman, Michigan State Freshman, 6-8, 260, is a Grand Rapids product, and he is going to be a load when he gets rolling, already is averaging 10 minutes a game on one of the top teams in the country.

13. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,110
    Depending on the roads/weather, I may be going up to watch Hastings and Norman in a game against Grand Rapids Catholic Central. Hopefully all is clear that day/night.

14. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,180
  15. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,400
    Looks like we should dust off some of those backdoor lob plays that we ran for Khyle Marshall.

16. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,110
  17. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,110
    Didn't get to go to the game tonight. Showed up 90 minutes before tip, didn't realize that they sold tickets at the school on Monday and sold them out then (capacity's only 1400), so had to head home and listen to it on the radio. Wasn't all bad, as I got home from the Morehead State game just before 2 am last night.

Was a huge game as Grand Rapids Catholic Central has Marcus Bingham Jr who's going to Michigan State next season and Tom Izzo being at the game along with several other college coaches (didn't see anything on Butler's coaching staff, but doesn't mean they weren't there). GRCC had the size advantage for sure (along with 6'10 Bingham Jr., they have a 6'8 Jacob Polakovich), but Godwin Heights pressured the bejeezus out of them, and built a lead quickly in the first half, and ended up winning 76-58. Lamar Norman scored 23 points in the first half, and he hit something like 6 of his first 8 threes. Foul trouble kept him from being too aggressive in the 2nd half.

Markeese Hastings didn't shoot the ball all that well (missed all of his 3 point attempts), but along with his rebounding and defense, had several dunks, including at least one over Bingham during the game and hit both of his free throws. Hastings also runs the point for Godwin Heights fairly frequently, and his ball handling was something that the announcers (including Drew Neitzel) kept commenting on. Hastings held Bingham 16 points below his average and 4 rebounds below his average (He had been averaging 29 points and 16 boards a game coming in).

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  18. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,110
    One other nugget from the game, Neitzel commented that he was heavily recruited by Butler coming out of high school and had a lot of complimentary things to say about the program, school and Hinkle Fieldhouse.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  19. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,839
    Thanks for the report Irishdawg, sounds like a good game from Hastings. I am intrigued about him running the point. He seems like a real stat stuffer and a guy who could become a lockdown defender. Any info on if Butler has reached out to Norman? Good stuff on Neitzel too, always liked him at MSU.

20. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $569
    Yeah what’s the deal with Norman. He seems like a stud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk