Markeese Hastings - 2018 Forward (Western Michigan)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 10, 2017.

1. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,068
    Ha figures. College and NBA are completely different games.

In football, you can be a great college player but not succeed in the NFL (Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson, Quinton Flowers). But you can’t really be a terrible college player and succeed in the NFL.

Myles Turner proves you can be terrible in college and yet still good in the NBA. Strange.

2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,550
    I️t’s probably the age thing. If Myles had to stay three years, he’d have been an all American by his junior year. Similarly, I’m sure there are college football players with loads of potential who’d be drafted high after one year if they could be, even if they weren’t very good in their lone season. By the time they’ve been in college three years, that potential has materialized (and if it hasn’t by then, it wasn’t forecasted correctly at age 18 and NFL teams know to stay away).

3. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $16,068
    Good points. I just still remember that 05 NBA draft. That UNC team was loaded: McCants, Felton, May... and the top player taken was a freshman backup named Marvin Williams. Didn’t work out at all.

You’d never see a backup drafted high in another sport, although you might see a few football players taken on potential over production.

4. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,696
    He may not be a superstar, but Williams has been a starter for most of his 13 seasons in the NBA, including this one. Meanwhile McCants was out of the league in four years, and May in five. Felton is still playing, but also isn't a star and has started fewer games. Seems pretty clear the scouts got the order of players from that team right, at least relative to each other.

Bulldawg likes this.
  5. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $16,068
    And that’s totally fair, but 3 were college studs and one was a freshman backup. If Hastings is McCants and Bingham is Marvin Williams, give me Hastings every time. I just care about how good guys are at Butler.

6. beezer16

beezer16 Active Member

Money:
    $158
  7. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $18,695
    Hastings looks ridiculously smooth. His highlights kind of remind me of Jackson Davis when everyone was getting super excited over him. Hopefully Hastings has a much better feel for the game than Davis did.

znelson15 likes this.
  8. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,999
    One of the most exciting recruits for me that butler has landed
    His a bigger stronger baddley that if improves and works as hard as he seems to work will be able to do it all at the college level
    Hastings is playing higher level competition on a daily basis in high school than Davis did right?

9. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,916
    Hastings is definitely playing a higher level of competition than Davis did. Class B in Michigan is pretty dang good. The school he plays for is one of the best at that level and effectively recruits kids to play there. I was a huge Davis fan and continued all the way to his departure. Jackson had and continues to have the athleticism and size to excel at this level much like Hastings. I have watched Jackson play at Eastern Kentucky and what I have seen is what continues to be missing and that is effort and court awareness. Jackson stands around a lot watching the action versus initiating. Hopefully Hastings has a different mind set.

znelson15 likes this.
  10. TahoeDawg

TahoeDawg New Member

Money:
    $16
    Markeese reminds me a lot of Kameron Woods. Long arms, quick feet, good vertical, can block shots with both hands. If he continues to develop a nose for rebounds, I see him making the same kind of impact that Kameron made for Butler. If he continues to develop his shot and ball handling, his upside could be higher. Athleticism and versatility at the wing position is underrated. Markeese Hastings looks like he has both. Hopefully, he is also working on his shot from the line, because he may be spending a lot of time there in the future. And under-recruited is right in Butler's wheelhouse.

tjreese, BHayden and znelson15 like this.
  11. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,696
    I get the point you're trying to make, it's just these aren't great players for that analogy.

Even though he was only there a year, I don't know a single Carolina fan who would take McCants - a supremely talented headcase who got a coach fired and frequently played outside the offense being run - over Williams - a supremely talented player with a hell of a work ethic who accepted a sixth man role behind a senior leader because it helped the team.

I'm glad Hastings will play for Butler, but in this analogy I would much rather he come with a Marvin Williams-type attitude. It would fit right in the "Butler Guy" mold.

Bulldawg likes this.
  12. tjreese

tjreese Active Member

Money:
    $301
    I too was reminded of Kameron Woods. Kid is much better than a 2 star player and seems like a nice recruit. I wonder if the Michigan connections found a player before others noticed. Hated to see Young leave for OSU, but this kid seems to have a nice upside even if a year later...

13. TooBigYo

TooBigYo New Member

Money:
    $14
    2012 Alum from Grand Rapids - caught this game in person over the holidays. Hastings first time up in pregame layup line he threw it off the backboard to himself and finished with a huge windmill slam. Second time up he buried a fallback triple. Looked like a true 6'6" too.

I can understand the Kam Woods comparisons, but Hastings is more built as a HS Senior than Kam ever was throughout his Butler career. And while Kam's high release line drive jumper was effective, Hastings is the more pure shooter.

I'd love to land Norman as well. He runs just as fast with the ball as without, like it's attached to his hip. Unconventional shooter (ball knuckles a bit, not much spin) but I'd see him being more of a distributor and lockdown defender (Ronald Nored-esque) at the next level.

Best part about both of these two is their conditioning and defensive focus. They diamond pressed Covenant a good portion of the 2nd half which is when they pulled away. Reminded me of Shaka's HAVOC press at VCU. Norman and Hastings never looked winded and were solid from the FT line all night.

Pumped for Hastings to be a Dawg - hope we offer Norman and he tags along.

troggy, NCJon and Grandpa Bulldog like this.
  14. BHayden

BHayden Well-Known Member

Money:
    $543
  15. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $167
    26pts 10 rebounds 6 blocks tonight ^

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

BHayden likes this.
  16. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $907

#60 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,399
    This article's first 3 paragraphs are lovely for a Butler fan to read. I really like the attitude Markeese has shown. (Nice to see his skillset, too!):

WYOMING - Markeese Hastings loves a challenge.

So when the 6-foot-7 Godwin Heights forward defended Calvin Christian’s 6-foot-10 Blake Verbeek on Friday night, it was game on.

“Regardless of who it is, whether he plays outside or inside, I’m ready to get up on him. I just love to play defense,” Hastings said.

Shimmy, NCJon, BHayden and 1 other person like this.
  18. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,804

Good night for both Lamar and Markeese. 16 rebounds!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

19. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $167
    And Norman sat out for the whole 4th quarter.

Irishdawg likes this.
  20. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,110
    Nice interview with Godwin Heights head coach Tyler Whittemore

seadawg likes this.