Marquette (9-12, 5-10) at Butler (7-11, 6-9), Wednesday, 2/17, 6:30 PM EST (FS1)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Feb 15, 2021.

1. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,286
    Dawgs looking to bounce back from the horrendous showing in DC against a very bad Georgetown team.

Dawgs should be playing this game to get to 8-8 in conference. Oh well. Moving on.

Game thread...not a bash the team thread. You want that, make your own thread.

2. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,748
  3. ButlerNut

Money:
    $8,286
    I don't think so. I think it is a statement of fact. If Dawgs won in DC, they would be 7-8 in conference.

znelson15 and 2xDawg like this.
  4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,538
    As wooly and as excited as I was after Tuesday heading into Saturday afternoon, I'm shrug and whatever about what will be a pretty bad basketball game. Two bad teams. After what I saw Saturday I don't know what to think. Same garbage different day and this time the hole was dug way too deep and the team forgot how to put effort into a conference game.

It'll be more of the same this week. Same lineup, same crappy first half, same attempted comeback...on and on.

I'd love to think LaVall learned from Saturday. But he didn't most likely and it will be something like 22-6 about ten minutes in.

5. ButlerNut

Money:
    $8,286
    Unfortunately, I agree with Willis. I would like to see a starting lineup that was more aggressive on offense and put some pressure on shooters on defense.

What lineup do you think that would be?

6. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,925
    While I know this team is a work in progress, games like St. John’s and Creighton made me think we’re putting it together and then wham! X and Georgetown happen. Ugh. It’s just so frustrating not being in the tournament when it is literally in our backyard:(

OldSchoolDawg1983 and UDDawg like this.
  7. willisbrown

Money:
    $11,538
    It's definitely frustrating. It's going to happen in a year like this but whatever that was Saturday took the air out of my sails. As high as I was after Tuesday night...I'm about as down after that performance. And that's to bad because it was becoming a fun story. Again, shrug. And we'll never have a season like this again where we had a chance to play a tournament in our backyard.

I get the injuries and covid and whatever the hell else, but whatever that was saturday left me uninspired.

8. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,268
    We had that in 2010. It can happen again.

9. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $936
    Not sure what to expect on Wednesday. Frankly, both teams have plenty of reason to be motivated. Marquette is more talented, but Butler has played much better at home than on the road. Still not expecting a ton as they've been down by double digits at some point in 15 of 18 games thus far.

10. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,615
    I like:

Nze
    Hodges
    Harris
    Tate
    Thompson

Golden and bolden first off the bench and maybe help them get going

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,517
    It was in Indy in 2015 too. Third time In last 12 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

12. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,771
    We're not dumb, we know when Indy has had Final Fours. I'm sure Willis and others are referring to the unique nature of the entire 2021 tournament being played in the state.

13. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,925
    Yeah, it’s just so lousy we won’t be in the conversation—except for the fact that we’re not in it. Every time they play a game at Hinkle they will discuss our runs and how cool Hinkle is and the one stinkin’ year they can talk up the program because THEY HAVE TO, we won’t get mentioned as a tournament team. Sigh.

UDDawg and willisbrown like this.
  14. willisbrown

Money:
    $11,538
    Yep...

UDDawg likes this.
  15. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,394
    I thought I saw somewhere Nze is dealing with a groin strain?. Wish we had Coles available.

Maybe LJ sticks with this lineup cause have no depth at Center and PF.

16. willisbrown

Money:
    $11,538
    He is. Sat out a bunch of the second half saturday with it. Not sure severity. Much like all things butler injuries we won't know.

17. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,994
    Butler's record when...
    Opponent scores greater than or equal to 65 in regulation: 1-10
    Opponent scores greater than or equal to 60 in regulation: 3-1
    less than 60: 3-0

Think positive. You're never as good as you think you are and you're never as bad as you think you are. After ending the +65 losing streak and scoring the most points in a game all season vs SJU, Butler came out flat and inept af vs Georgetown... While I think Jair Bolden has hit like a "freshman wall" and is struggling, I think some members displeasure & anger towards him is over-inflated and unjust. Likewise, I feel the opposite about Golden... Hopefully, the bad Marquette shows up and Nze can play. Again, glad to see all the new members to the 4 out, 1-in club, but gotta contain Theo John. Go bulldogs

BulldogsFTW and BUcheer like this.
  18. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,268
    Maybe Butler will win the Big East Tourney

19. willisbrown

Money:
    $11,538
    We're -2.

20. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,012
    I guess Butler -2 sounds about right although who knows how tonight will turn out. A couple of things I am confident about tonight’s matchup: 1. This is Butler’s best chance to get another win with the remaining games. 2. The line for the first 10 minutes of the game should be BU +13.

tedfrye and bmradio99 like this.