Marquette (9-12, 5-10) at Butler (7-11, 6-9), Wednesday, 2/17, 6:30 PM EST (FS1)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Feb 15, 2021.

1. BigHoss

BigHoss Active Member

Money:
    $426
    Any of our "beat reporters" going to ask about Scooby during the press conference? Or are we just going to pat Coach on the back, tell him good try, and give a few easy questions to answer.

bmradio99 likes this.
  2. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,843
    Love getting treated like a practice squad two games in a row by bottom tier teams. There's no excuses anymore for regression. Injuries and youth meant the season, as a whole, wouldn't be great. But everything, top to bottom, is trending the wrong way. My DVR cut off the last 5 minutes of the game. Honestly surprised they cracked 55 points.

willisbrown and znelson15 like this.
  3. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,602
    Many of you may hate this or maybe you all agree now but Thompson has been a huge disappointment

I expected him to be more aggressive, show senior leadership, be a fiery player, and let games be more on his back aka Rosie Jones style.

Cant shot or not I just don’t think he is into at all and as we have seen the team goes as he goes

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen likes this.
  4. dawg767

dawg767 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $941
    Quite the CBB Doubleheader FS1 has tonight. DePaul-SH game even more putrid.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Butler Hoops mobile app

5. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,756
  6. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $894
    Given how much worse the team plays without him, I don't put this season on him. His lack of development has been disappointing over his career, but he's still the best player on this team.

NCJon likes this.
  7. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,856
    Haven't read the thread because I just got home but seeing some questions about Scooby on Twitter. He was there for warmups and the anthem but honestly didn’t pay attention after that.

NCJon likes this.
  8. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,318
    I don’t think it’s fair at all to say he hasn’t developed. Some guys aren’t shooters, and for them to spend their time practicing that takes time away from practicing stuff they may actually use.

Obviously ideally he could learn to shoot, but not all guys can.

I also think it’s fair to say he’s disappeared the last couple of games, but we’re still a better team with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

ButlerProf and BUcheer like this.
  9. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,106
    But....but....an anonymous Twitter account got their info straight from another anonymous Twitter account that he has been kicked off team and not going to classes this semester. Hmmmm....who to believe?

NCJon likes this.
  10. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,434
    Don't laugh, he was smart. I think he went up intending to dunk but realized it was not happening, then made a quick adjustment to an awkward, but nonetheless two-point, layup.

11. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,922
    We are almost below 40% field goal % on the year after another sub 35% effort. I wonder where that ranks? Kind of... I'm sure, with everyone feeling completely comfortable against us that our opponent's fg% is pretty poor, as well.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. IrishDawghouse

IrishDawghouse Active Member

Money:
    $283
    The only potential silver lining of this game: we might’ve saved wojo his job...

NCJon, bmradio99 and TheDawgDub95 like this.
  13. IrishDawghouse

IrishDawghouse Active Member

Money:
    $283
    On a real note though, what in the actual hell was that. I thought the Georgetown game was bad, I really had to sit through that garbage in the stands until the final buzzer and act like I was happy for Mike Parker to throw in a bucket while we were down 30.

Something is going on inside the locker room, and it’s really starting to show itself. 1. Bo Hodges visibly, and I mean visibly had zero interest in that game and got yanked because of it, playing I think 3? minutes in the 2nd half. (That’s our most talented player on the roster by a margin.) 2. It’s been discussed already but, Scooby Johnson was once again a no show during the game. Along with Hinkle20, I too have heard chatter that this won’t end pretty by the end of the year. 3. The effort differential looked as lopsided as I’ve seen in a Butler game in a long time, maybe forever? (against a 5-10 2nd to last Big East opponent with nothing to play for on the road)

This team is deteriorating and it’s really sad to see. I’m seeing board members who are usually very positive even start to become frustrated and ask questions. When a coach loses his team, that’s when things really go downhill. I’m not saying that’s what’s happened yet, but with the way things are starting to develop, you’ve got to begin to look at the writing on the wall and wonder.

14. ButlerAlumDad716

ButlerAlumDad716 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $608
    The FIVE "P's" - Proper Practice Prevents Poor Performance. Butler has been unable to have a proper practice since the players arrived on campus due to covid and injuries.

15. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,434
    We are not this bad. The athleticism and pure basketball ability are there--they're not great but they're there. It's something beyond that. There is something wrong in the chemistry/morale department. AT wears his heart on his sleeve; he sure is pissed about something and it's affecting his play and his leadership effectiveness*. I think it's not just him, it's just that it's so obvious he's cranky about something.

If LaVall and the other coaches are the captain and lieutenants then Thompson is the platoon sergeant. The rest of the platoon and their morale will be more attuned to the sergeant than to the officers. And by that tortured analogy the sarge is pissed about something.

*I originally wrote "leadership ability" but I think he still has the ability but he's not using it effectively because something is wrong.

iluvsnow and Tentozen like this.
  16. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,188
  17. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,370
    AT has been that way for a while now.

willisbrown likes this.
  18. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,862
    Butler is now 126th in Pom, making this the worst team since 04-05.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

bmradio99 likes this.
  19. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,995
    Just 8 nights ago they had the big OT win vs St. John’s after beating DePaul at home the weekend before that. Makes me wonder if something specific has happened within the last week that has seemingly caused the team to completely derail.

jarik, DawgPoundMac and NCJon like this.
  20. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,370
    No.