Marquette (9-12, 5-10) at Butler (7-11, 6-9), Wednesday, 2/17, 6:30 PM EST (FS1)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,370
    You are right; something definitely wrong with AT’s attitude. Hodges almost had a triple double against Marquette last game and was nonexistent tonight. Bolden was much more engaged earlier this year, grabbing rebounds, making key baskets, now just stands around throwing up wild threes.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,171
    Hard to find any positive takes again. The BU defense was cut to shreds early and often. Marquette sliced and diced like a Ronco's Veg-o-matic. This team is not all on the same page.

bmradio99 likes this.
  3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,362
    The excuses of covid and being "young" are tired and boring. We're not really young. We play two freshmen. Everyone else getting real minutes is an upperclassman. Outside of JMM and...well whatever. Covid has hit damn near every program at some point. We got it early which you'd think was a blessing. Continuos play and find a cohesive unit...but no. It's getting worse.

Back to back performances like this? Yes, Nze was out but from what I saw ( at an admitted distance, I was out) was garbage. Just zero effort. Zero smarts. Zero motivation other than to just jack up whatever and get to that final buzzer. Also, I'll echo what others have said...AT's body language in the little I caught was pretty...just ugly.

No idea what was up with Hodges. But it's clear he didn't come here to be a part of this garbage...tonight maybe was a chink in his armor where he kinda just gave up. Which is inexcusable.

These kids came to play for a man and his staff that could lead, motivate and take them into promising places...I'm afraid they're seeing that may not be the case. I've questioned LaVall for years. I've had plenty of "pick" in my observations of him. But I never thought his teams could/would show up like they have the last two games. Something stinks. What that is? We don't know but it's ugly...it's 12 beers, a few bourbons and a whiskey flight of shots but still ugly...ugly.

Choosing to mostly skip this game while having a nice night out was the better decision. This team has quit. Blame whoever you want. But it has quit.

4. IrishDawghouse

IrishDawghouse Active Member

Money:
    $283
    Agreed on the quit part. I’m not mad we are 7-12 and bottom of the Big East, or that we lack the talent and/or depth of our competition. I’m mad that we’ve willingly marched out to our death at center court, and have done nothing, nada, jack-squat to stop it the last 2 games. That’s not Butler basketball, as a matter of fact, that’s not a brand of basketball that any college team in the country would claim.

I sat up above the basket and watched a 9th place, dead in the water, Marquette team hoot and holler pregame as if they were ready to face Duke in the elite 8. Look a little further down the court to find a team that mine as well be dressed in all black just going through the motions. It’s a hard year I get it. But I’ve been to every home game the last four years and something especially weird is going on right now with the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  5. willisbrown

Money:
    $11,362
    Well said. Why do we fall behind every game so early? No energy an no focus. Eventually Barry has to look to the top. I get fired up to play 18 with my step dad. You telling me kids getting a 40K free education can't get fired up for a big east basketball game? Horse crap. Changes are needed.

6. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,314
    Sometimes the simplest explanations are the best ones.

We fall behind because we have *maybe* one “good” offensive player, and a couple of guys who are not very good at defense.

Go ahead and question why our effort and passion and enthusiasm have been dogshit the last week.

Question why our body language has been awful.

We *should* be asking those questions.

If you have to question why a group of pretty limited offensive players can’t score, and feel the need to insert wild speculation into the explanation, you’re either being intentionally inflammatory, or just aren’t very smart.

7. willisbrown

Money:
    $11,362
    Ok so...then in four years he's yet to recruit one player that can play at this level? Is that what I'm/we're supposed to believe? Because that just isn't true.

Tuck, Battle, Harris, Tate (and when healthy Scooby and Coles) are talented enough to play at this level. Is AT not good enough to be a PG at this level? Surely he is. So why is it a mess?

ButlerProf and DawgPoundMac like this.
  8. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,245
    I agree with Irish. I can deal with 9-9 seasons in the BE. Hell I can do 4-16, as long as they are pushing their limits. I’d rather the team go 0-16 and put everything on the court every day and lose close games then go 9-9 with half assed effort where they get blown out and doesn’t seem like they even got off the bus. And just to get it straight, this isn’t new to this year, just seems more pronounced.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $654
    Not a winnable game left...including the BE tourney. With the effort and disinterest displayed last night...this is the Titanic taking on the cold north Atlantic. Hope I'm wrong...but we've hit an iceberg...may be under the surface...but something is wrong with this program.

10. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member

Money:
    $633
    Man, I skipped last nights game for a dinner with some folks from our church. Looking at the score periodically, I knew I didn't miss anything on the court. I am really disappointed to come online this morning and see the chatter about Scooby's absence from the team. Doesn't look good, regardless of the outcome.

This season has been disappointing, even with my lowered expectations.

11. WDLTH

WDLTH Member VIP Member

Money:
    $67
    Agreed, it's just going to get more difficult. When the schedule came out, looking at the last few games was always going to be brutal. However, if the team has quit it will get VERY ugly.

12. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member

Money:
    $633
    So you are suggesting LaVall has lost the team?

knobcreekfan likes this.
  13. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,171
    Whatever has transpired over the past few days concerning certain players, illustrates this team's already fragile mindset to perhaps completely broken. Perhaps when some accurate information trickles out, it will provide some degree of understanding to exactly what has unfolded. Until then, rumors can be be devastating.

ButlerProf and Daddysmack like this.
  14. WDLTH

WDLTH Member VIP Member

Money:
    $67
    No, I'm saying if G-Town and Marq. beat us by 15 how do you think SH, Villanova, and Creighton is going to go? This board is already losing it's mind (some of it justified), now tack on 4 more losses...... which were probably going to be losses even if we were playing decent. I had already set my expectations low for this season (and to end on a losing streak), but the last 2 games have been brutal, and from an opponent stand point it just gets more difficult.

I still have faith in Butler Basketball and LaVall. However, something's off.

15. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,314
    I’d imagine they’ll also end up right around 15 point losses.

Seton Hall may be closer, Creighton may be be bigger.

16. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,187
    At this point, I would take a half assed effort

willisbrown likes this.
  17. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,722
    Apparently Hodges had a calf strain, according to Woods' postgame article, which is why he played so little in the 2nd half.

18. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,843
    The injuries were certainly a concern, though I doubt it would have drastically altered the outcome of the game. Maybe having Nze on the floor and a healthy Bo and healthy AT would have allowed a little more room for error from a team that flat out can't score (which, as many noted, has a negative effect on the defense.) I don't want to add to that "other" thread, and it's still relevant to the game / last two games, so I'll say this:

Programs with their collective s--- together don't have this many rumors and accusations flying around - not even false ones.

DawgPoundMac and willisbrown like this.
  19. willisbrown

Money:
    $11,362
    I can't like that last point enough. It's troubling. This thing is spiraling out of control. Too bad we can't just click our heels and the season be over.

Spot on dude.

bmradio99 likes this.
  20. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,106
    OMG! Comments about rumors and accusations on a board that is famous for starting/spreading rumors and accusations is hilarious.

We had people state that a recruit’s grade/academics must not be good enough to be accepted at BU as that is the only plausible reason the coaches would back off the recruit. Several posters took that accusation and ran with it. Meanwhile, the recruit’s dad had to come on the board to defend his son.

We had people stating that LJ is leaving for UofM because they tracked a flight of a Cessna 172 from Ann Arbor to IND. Anybody with an ounce of common sense would have known that was complete BS. Yet, people on here were sh*tting bricks and already assuming the program would never recover.

I don’t know a lot, but I know a lot of people on this board could use a bit of self reflection.

2xDawg, ButlerNut, godogs91 and 8 others like this.