Marquette (9-12, 5-10) at Butler (7-11, 6-9), Wednesday, 2/17, 6:30 PM EST (FS1)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Feb 15, 2021.

1. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,319
    Don’t forget about people partying in broad ripple before every game.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

NCJon likes this.
  2. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,771
    At the 5 or 6 minute mark of the second half, during a Butler timeout because they couldn't get the ball in under their own basket, the color man says that Butler is 4 of 19 from behind the 3-point line. So following that timeout, the next three Butler possessions, missed 3, Thompson turnover falling down on a dribble drive, missed 3. L.J.? He's standing on the sidelines with arms folded. By all means L.J, let's launch some more ill-advised 3's. Can't blame the players if L.J. is down with them taking the shots. I'm starting to feel sorry for him. Nice guy. You'd like for him to be successful. Head coach of my alma mater. But he's in so far over his head it's becoming more and more painful on so many fronts.

It's not Covid. It's not the players. It's not their talent level ("old" Butler used to win...and were always competitive....with a lot less talent by being fundamentally sound, playing with effort and playing with some smarts...a few of those teams that L.J. was on.) Last night is all on L.J. It's his coaching. His preparation. His game plans. His in-game coaching and adjustments. His offense (or lack of). His defense (or lack of). It's all on L.J. Has he lost the team? Hell, did he ever have any of the teams in his four years here? Rolling out the ball and telling Kamar to go for it in the vast majority of our offensive possessions isn't exactly well-thought out plan to maximize every possession. He underachieved beginning in his first year with Holtmann's roster which arguably was a potential Sweet 16 team, and maybe Elite 8 with the right draw. He lost 14 games, 3 or 4 of them directly from his bonehead in-game decisions (see the St. John's fiasco for one). As time goes on there is a lot more evidence (and losses) of his head coaching ineptitude, notwithstanding the laughable excuses. Beginning next year, if you're going to keep him, the time has come to limit him to being the "face of the team," recruiting, radio and TV interviews, conditioning in practice....and leaving to some new assistants the strategy and game planning and in-game management. Or, get rid of him altogether. What makes anyone think it's going to get any better. If he doesn't get it after 25 years in D-1 basketball......

ButlerGoalie and ButlerProf like this.
  3. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,236
    That’s a burning hot take. Breath of fire.

NCJon and bmradio99 like this.
  4. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $201
    That’s so weak. I posted ions ago about how well the team actually performed/Brandon did in his one year under the circumstances—Stevens leaves July3, Rosie’s out with injury, 3rd conference in 3 years, 1st year in newly formed Big East, 1st year head coach (seriously, think about that!), minus Rosie they were 10-1 heading into conference play. Lost crushers in OT and single digits.
    So stop with how “bad” he was. I’ll unapologetically stand up Brandon every time. Those who find some ridiculous cause to bash him, especially considering the whole of his worth to Butler can just, ... what the h-e-double hockey sticks. Find someone else to bully. Geez.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg, bmradio99, jal8908 and 6 others like this.
  5. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $201
    Seemed like a perfect fit at the time. Not sure what happened. Glad he’s doing well.

Daddysmack likes this.
  6. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,180
    While your point stands, I believe we had two losses heading into conference play. We lost to Marcus Smart at Ok State in a close one, and then we lost the 3rd game of whatever holiday tourney we were in, I think to LSU.

IIRC

2xDawg and znelson15 like this.
  7. dawgs2014

Money:
    $6,319
    I’ve talked to players who speak EXTREMELY highly of his coaching ability.

That season was a disaster so we never really got to see what may have been, but I was surprised with how positively he was spoken of.

ButlerAlumDad716 likes this.
  8. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $201
    Sure, if you researched it I trust you. Maybe it was 10-1 heading into January? In any case, ... a remarkable feat under the circumstances. Who here today wouldn’t love a 10-1 or 2 season start? Thanks.

9. dawgs2014

Money:
    $6,319
    I think it was 10-2 and pretty sure that the Nova game that went to OT was New Year’s Eve.

I think part of the frustration from this season is that we didn’t have a non conference so this team never got to experience winning.

That team played NJIT, Vandy, Princeton and some other non conference and we got a couple feel good moments. This year we’ve had like 2-3 real feel good games, and a lot more frustration. I understand how that can be taxing.

10. Baseline

Baseline Well-Known Member

Money:
    $693
    Bench player? He has started all year and plays about 30 min a game but yes, he would make no difference on this team.

2xDawg, bmradio99 and willisbrown like this.
  11. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,365
    So would Laravia. But we didn't even sniff him. If we're going to hand out scholarships to the likes of JMM and Hastings...no reason for anyone to think players like Neese and Laravia couldn't do better here nor be deserving of a look.

12. dawgs2014

Money:
    $6,319
    If you’re going to criticize a coach for the players they don’t get then you are going to be in constant criticism of every single coach in the country.

JMM and Hastings seem to have been reaches, but they also came under extenuating circumstances.

Every single other freshman he’s brought in seems to be considerably talented.

2xDawg likes this.
  13. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,988
    Yeah, if there's someone on ISU's roster worth discussing in this manner, it's Laravia; not Neese. Another kid that grew up 10 minutes away from campus. Welp. Can't get em all

In this case, I think it's more of a "losing/missing on a player" to ISU vs losing a recruiting battle to IU/Purdue/ND and the UVA, Texas, tO$U, etc of the world...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    willisbrown likes this.
  14. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,365
    From watching some ISU, I think Laravia could give some good McDermott like minutes. Long at 6'8 and can pop from deep plus goes after boards. Nothing we couldn't use right now. This wasn't a "miss" in terms of aw shucks he went somewhere else. It was a blatant miss in that the staff never even hard eyed him. I guess he just didn't fit the bill...or whatever it is they are trying to build. God forbid a 6'8 kid averaging 12 and 6 with some decent range. 32% this year from 3 but for this Butler team, that would be welcomed.

15. dawgs2014

Money:
    $6,319
    If we miss on a guy who went to ISU so did literally every other big school in the country.

butlerguy03, NCJon, 2xDawg and 2 others like this.