Marquette Golden Eagles (8-9, 4-7) vs Butler Bulldogs (5-9, 4-7), Tuesday, 2/2, 5:00 PM EST (FS1)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Jan 30, 2021.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,538
    Well if it's that bad maybe he shouldn't be playing as much? He can't shoot for crap as it is, now with a bad hand/wrist...maybe limit his minutes a little and let Harris/Tate run the show? At least they can FT a little.

Thompson is an important piece but he's one that has to be 100% (or close) to clearly make an impact. If you have a 70-75% Thompson out there it does no good. And he's maybe not even that healthy.

It's time to pass the baton if this is the case. I don't see him healthy the rest of the year and that big run at the end was with him on the bench.

BUdawgsfan04 likes this.
  2. willisbrown

Money:
    $11,538
    He looks as bad as he has since being at Butler at the line. Whatever is causing that (injury, mental etc) he loves to try and attack...if he's going to do that he's got to be better. And if he cannot, he doesn't need to see the court as much.

3. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,615
    Agreed
    It was another game this year where am we got behind first half and couldn’t dig out of the whole and outplayed the opponent second half.

I struggle cause the team has fight which is coaching and we always seem to fight all the way through, but also coaching is being ready from the get go and we rarely do that.

I think a starting lineup shake up is truly what we need.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen and BUcheer like this.
  4. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,615
    I love AT as much as anyone but his lack of shooting has killed us for four years now. You can’t argue that

He has helped the team so much when we have go to scorers but has hurt us when they are not hitting, injured , or in four trouble.

This year we don’t have those and it showing even more.

AT is bulldog through and through but game planning for him is so easy, it takes no effort

dawg767 likes this.
  5. jarik

jarik Active Member

Money:
    $175
    I would like to think that the main problem this year is that the two guys who would be tough in the lane and consistently hitting layups are both out for the season with knee injuries. Time will tell, I suppose.

Tentozen likes this.
  6. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,394
    Does Bo remind anyone of anyone previously in a Butler uniform? I was going to say Tucker in the way he moves to get his shot on offense.

Bo is refreshing in the way he plays D, attacks the glass, is athletic, how he moves. His shot isn't that bad. Another off-season and he could be like 2nd team All BE.

I can't think of who he reminds me of. I see visions of Shelvin with the jersey #, his dribbling in a way...

NCJon likes this.
  7. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,760
    13-25 FT 52% :eek:

8. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,517
    At least we can agree that none of this is Lavall’s fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

9. dawg767

dawg767 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $941
    No offense, but Hodges is no JT. Please do not denigrate him like that.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. BUdawgsfan04

BUdawgsfan04 Active Member

Money:
    $320
    Bo came close to a triple double. I am amazed at how well conditioned he is just after two games. What is his eligibility? Does Hodges and Bolden have 1 year of eligibility after this year

11. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,394
    Oh I know. Hodges is a way better player. I was just thinking about the way he moves on the court.

12. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member

Money:
    $633
    I was.... Good thing I also bet 1H U60...

13. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,388
    They haven’t been and are not going to be getting anywhere near 25 shots from 3 feet. I agree it’s maddening to watch them miss those (Nze), but a few of those a game is not as big an issue as the overall shooting.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  14. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,517
    It’s also important to remember the why here.

Without good shooters, defenses are just loading up inside and down low. Without respect for the shooters we have, they don’t have to worry about getting beat by a pass out to a shooter so they can prioritize defending the interior. This means that every inside we get is contested. While we have missed open layups no doubt, the overwhelming majority of our missed shots inside have been attempted over and through defenders, rather than having just the split second extra before the defense arrives that good shooters can buy.

15. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,890
    Can we talk about how tough Harris is? Not only did he score 13 of his 16 after getting his tooth knocked out. But he is already one of the most mentally tough players on the team.
    I know this has been said a ton, but I really can't wait to see what him and Tate look like in a few years.

16. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,771
    I'm truly not trying to give outsized expectations, but I don't really think we've had a player with the combination of Hodges' size and athleticism since Hayward. Not comparing their size exactly, or how good they are, just the combo. We've had unathletic bigs and athletic smaller guards like Kamar and Tate. Like the PxP guy said yesterday, Hodges looks good stepping off the bus. NBA body. Kelan Martin was close, but I think he was more purely skilled than athletic. I'm hoping next year's freshmen continue the Hodges trend once they get into our strength program.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  17. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,771
    I was only able to watch the first half live yesterday, catching up on the rest of the game now. Am I blind, or did it take over 7 minutes for Chuck to get in the 2nd half? I know he still led us in bench minutes, but couldn't we have used his offense earlier? He finished with 3 fouls, were those all in the first half?

Some of those and-ones the refs gave Marquette, jesus...

No foul called for Tate when McEwen jumped into him on a layup, when refs called JMM for the same type of thing earlier in the half.

Sorry I keep making edits to this post. Figured it's better than making new posts each time I see something.

Did anyone notice it seemed like LaVall was pretty indecisive on calling our last timeout after Hodges' 3 to cut it to 66-62? He turned back to the bench and slowly made the "timeout" hand signal as if asking whether he should call it, but some of other coaches (Kampen especially) looked already focused on directing the press. Then, LaVall ends up calling it and holds up one finger back to the bench (which I took to mean "We still have one left, right?") and then he looked at the ref and scoreboard a little confused. *Shrug*

HELL of an ATO to get that Bolden 3 to cut it to 69-67.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  18. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $931
    Agree. That said if Thompson's wrist is not 100%, and, it clearly is not, his ability to drive and score is gone and the impact on his free throw shooting (being generous here, yet plausible) further diminishes his value on the floor. Let Thompson get healed, start Tate and adjust if needed.
    Start Tate, Harris, Hodges, Nze and pick one you like: Golden or Wilmoth. Thompson and Bolden come off the bench.

ButlerAlumDad716 and willisbrown like this.
  19. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,388
    Been pleasantly surprised with his passing ability.

znelson15, cornette33 and bmradio99 like this.
  20. willisbrown

Money:
    $11,538
    He has pretty damn good court vision. He also attacks rebounds like no one else on the team. If he fine tunes his shooting even just a little...watch out. He literally does everything else extremely well. Just brings a dynamic this team didn't have.

cornette33 and Tentozen like this.