Marquette Golden Eagles (8-9, 4-7) vs Butler Bulldogs (5-9, 4-7), Tuesday, 2/2, 5:00 PM EST (FS1)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Jan 30, 2021.

1. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,890
    Lowery is featured in this list of "50 Impactful High Major Assistant Coaches" that is compiled by "consulting with AD's, Presidents, search firms and numerous influencers in the basketball space."
    https://www.silverwavesmedia.com/news_article/show/1102625

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  2. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,518
    Only thing I think is slightly off is 2. Thompson has been the starting point guard on three very good offenses. Certainly our offense isn’t helped by his inability to shoot, but we’ve shown that with good surrounding pieces he can succeed. I think it’s overly critical to say it’s broken “because” of him.

I’ve also wondered about pace. One thing we were doing at the start of last season that I thought was really effective was when we’d get a rebound we’d push the ball back down the court and if there was an open shot there, we’d fire away. If there wasn’t something there, we’d then go into the “bleed the clock” pace were accustomed to seeing.

I see almost no downside to trying to do that this year given how hard we have to work to score.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

SnoopDawg, shoeevv and jeff like this.
  3. ChiDawg3

ChiDawg3 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $511

8:02 left in the game, Bolden hits a 3 to make the score 54-45.
    Come on Nut, plenty of room on the optimism bus!
    These kids have grit, they have fight, despite everything they have going against them, they made a game out of it. If that last second shot goes in, we win in OT, GUARANTEED!!!!
    My goodness, it did look bad for a while (down 17) but that's why we watch the whole game. If it helps, view this season as preparation for next year when we actually get a real, "normal" season.
    I'm with you man.

2xDawg likes this.
  4. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,286
    I hear ya. And it got to 10 by the 8 min mark, and then immediately back up to 15. Yes, they didn't quit. Yes, we all knew this was gonna be a rough season. And yes, I stated at the end of the game that the Dawgs win that game in OT (with John and Garcia out).

I'm on the bus. But damn, quit getting down 20 to everyone and then decide to start playing.

bwesson15, BoyGeoff, BUcheer and 2 others like this.
  5. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,925
    Hyperbole. Everyone of those guys has a job in D1 basketball wherever their next stop is. I believe LaVall can get to where we need/want him to be—but in the meantime, BU needs to go all in on an experienced proven X/O assistant coach. But I think we need to hold on to Omar and Emerson as well. Nothing good would come of letting LaVall go short of 2 more seasons like this.

2xDawg likes this.
  6. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,594
    I too think tempo would help some of our problems, I get the slower tempo especially at first in the season due to the fact of so many new roles, faces, injuries, etc but now you see what we have. We do have some guys who can get up and down, north/south in a hurry. AT, Tate, Harris, Hodges all can go coast to coast in a hurry, this would cause a ton of stress of finding Bolden in transition defense as well as opening driving lines, Nze and Wilmoth can get up and down, I really think this walk it up to set defenses is a direct cause of the 1st half deficits and why we have done better in 2nd halves. We all can see it, I don't understand why the coaches don't and if's to limit the possessions and set our defense up well that's silly cause our defense is giving up what yesterday was over 70% from 2's and teams get whatever they want.

AZRPh, jeff and BoyGeoff like this.
  7. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,748
    I’ve been permanently spoiled since Pete Campbell.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerNut, DawgsMD and UDDawg like this.
  8. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,748
    This. Tate and Harris have done this on rare occasions. Also the ridiculous repetition of who has to take the ball out of bounds, and let’s walk it up with LJ having to call every play (even though they all pretty much look the same) needs to go. You would think with a coach on the floor in AT Lavall wouldn’t need to be so controlling.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

willisbrown likes this.
  9. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,938
    I thoughtnthe two man game at the end with our two best 3 point shooters was good. They double Harris and Bolden got one of his better looks. I don't know if having both of them there was by design, but I kinda think you have to assume it was. Just like having Sean either set the screen or he and Tuck spacing the floor for Baldwin in end of game situations last year.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $661
    Concur on lack of pace. Several times last night I screamed....push the ball. With the addition of Hodges....we have some pace that can put other teams on their heels....yet we time and again gave up opportunities to push for an easy shot. I think the players are just as frustrated as well. They want to run....and coaching won't let the young colts fly.

Staxawax and cornette33 like this.
  11. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,518
    Yeah I don’t think we need to be a fast paced team. I’m not advocating to be St. John’s, but like off of misses run down the court and see if theres something there. If not, run your offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

12. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,286
    So you're saying Dawgs are as good as Kentucky at 5-10? Awesome. Thanks for pointing that out.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Butler Hoops mobile app