Martin's Career Night Propels Butler Past Marquette

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 12, 2018.

By Jared Grubbs on Jan 12, 2018 at 9:25 PM
  1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $14,009
    Jorgensen1.jpg

The Bulldogs were desperate for a win after dropping 3 straight games to the top half of the Big East. Kelan Martin wasn't going to let the Bulldogs skid any longer. The Bulldog senior scored a career high 37 points to help Butler rally from a 7 point second half deficit and defeat Marquette 94-83 at Hinkle Fieldhouse. Kamar Baldwin scored 19 points, Wideman had 16, and Jorgensen added 10 points and 6 assists.

Kelan Martin's Career Night
    It was all about Kelan Martin tonight. Scoring 37 points is impressive all by itself. Kelan scored 37 points and only used 20 possessions to do so. He was 12-17 from the floor, 9-9 from the FT line (3 FTs coming after made baskets), and turned the ball over 0 times. That efficiency is absolutely stunning. On top of all of that he was the game's leading rebounder with 7 boards and also handed out 3 assists. It's going to be a long time before we see another Bulldog post a scoring night like that.

Where Is The Defense?
    The offense averaging 91 points per game through Big East play is exciting, but Butler isn't going to get very deep into March if they can't fix the defense. The Bulldogs defense has fallen off a cliff after living off it in the non-conference schedule. The Bulldogs held Georgetown to 1 point per possession on the road to open conference play, but have since given up 1.29, 1.13, 1.29, 1.23, and 1.20 points per possession. Butler's defense was ranked 39th in the country prior to that stretch. Now it's 83rd. I don't have a solution to offer, but the coaching staff is going to have to come up with something.

Shutting Howard Down
    Markus Howard couldn't be stopped all game, and he eventually emerged for 14 points, but Kamar Baldwin completely shut him down in the first half. Howard, who scored 52 points on the road earlier this month, didn't record a single positive box score stat in 13 minutes in the first half. He didn't score his first point until 16:54 left in the game. The Butler defense held him to only 10 field goal attempts. The attention he drew opened up the floor and gave opportunities for others. Sam Hauser exploded for 30 points of his own. Containing Howard was a big reason Butler was able to do enough defensively to win this game though.

Playing Under Control
    At times this season Butler has allowed an increased tempo to get them out of control. At no point during this game did Butler ever feel out of control on offense. There were relatively few questionable decisions with the basketball and it led to only 3 total turnovers on the evening for the Bulldogs. Shooting 59% from the floor and only coughing it up 3 times is certainly a great way to win a basketball game. The turnover margin has been a strength for Butler all season, and they once again won that battle 10-3.

The grind doesn't stop for the Bulldogs. They head on the road to face Providence on Monday. The Friars are coming off an impressive win over Xavier at home. There are no days off in the Big East.

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Irishdawg
      Irishdawg
      In terms of the defense, Butler really needs to do a better job of finding guys in transition after misses. They got torched time and again losing guys on the break. Think it's another instance of the guys not talking and yelling out who they have and resulted in several easy buckets for Marquette, and it's been a problem the entire time in Big East play.
    2. seadawg
      seadawg
      The defense in the first half was pretty damn good. Overall we slowed 2/3s of a 3 headed scoring monster. Overall teams are adjusting to the 30 second shot clock by running when available. More possessions will usually result more scoring. Being efficient with opportunities is the key.
      Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    3. Insane Dawg
      Insane Dawg
      Defense was also good in the last ten minutes.
    4. Eric
      Eric
      Except for the switches that kept putting AT and PJ on Hauser. They couldn't do anything with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app
    5. Insane Dawg
      Insane Dawg
      I think Marquette didn't score a field goal in about 5-6 minute stretch during the last ten minutes of the game. I'll rewatch it tomorrow.
    6. pjohnsto2003
      pjohnsto2003
      Fairly certain that is correct. They went almost six minutes without a bucket until Howard hit a layup with less than a minute left.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops
    7. znelson15
      znelson15
      Does anyone have an updated career scoring list for butler
    8. Insane Dawg
      Insane Dawg
      Go to Wikipedia for Butler basketball. Kelan is in ninth place. He should end up around fourth or fifth which is where Dunham and Howard are.
    9. bumba
    10. butlernut
      butlernut
      I saw this on Twitter and didn't even think to post here. I just figured everyone here had the T. I appreciate you making sure everyone here sees greatness too.