Maryland Football -- Building Character

Discussion in 'Non Sports' started by fdr, Aug 11, 2018.

1. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,205
  2. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator VIP Member

Money:
    $634
    Having never been to a Butler practice, I have no idea if no one ever gets yelled at (I'm sure they do even under Jordan), but it seems like the guys on the team really like the coaching staff and their strength coach Matt Johnson. Kids today certainly are different, and so are the rules of what is and isn't acceptable, but I'll never understand the mentality that some people have to try and "build toughness" by yelling and screaming and threatening their players.

bwesson15, thevinrod and SRG like this.
  3. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Active Member

Money:
    $3,391
    I remember there being a story about LaVall getting mad at Paul, but it was for not being confident and taking an open shot in practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,506
    Have been told Vall does not holler as much as others.

Ignatius J. Reilly likes this.
  5. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,602
    To rant and rave all the time simply does not work. I do think it is appropriate at times to gain a player's attention or to impress upon a point, especially a more experienced player. At this level most players should have a maturity level with an ability to reason. Brad's style was not totally unique from that respect. Still each player is certainly different and some may require handling with kid gloves or dealt with individually.

6. fdr

Money:
    $1,205
    I hope you guys read the entire article. One of their players died this summer and, per the report, the coaching and available training/medical staff likely played a role in his death.

It's ok to yell or light a fire under a player's butt every once in a while. But it's not ok to verbally abuse them. It's not ok to physically abuse them. It's not ok to berate them, intimidate them, or belittle them. It's not ok to embarrass them in front of their teammates. It's not ok to force them to eat until they vomit. That doesn't help the academic, personal, and athletic development of a young man or woman. That's not how families treat one another.

I sincerely hope that no Butler program resembles anything like that of Maryland Football (and likely that of many other large division I programs, be it football or basketball, etc.). I would also sincerely hope that our program is interested in truly building character, even if is at the expense of our athletic endeavors. Life is far too short. Just ask Jordan Mcnair's parents.

NCJon likes this.
  7. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,602
    I seriously doubt BU would have any ethical issues in this regards. Of course different coaches have various styles but there is absolutely no place for physical abuse. I'm sure many coaches go overboard on the verbal end and may cross that line. That's part of normal motivational techniques but that style of "in your face" 100% of the time is rapidly disappearing and should. I do believe you can win through intimidation but it's with structure and organizational skills. That has little to do with the motivation of players in this day and age. Standards and reasonable expectations are and should be acceptable. Pushing players beyond the their known barriers physically is fine but no player should have to pay the ultimate price for a damn game. If this all of this is true it was pure torture.

8. codawg

codawg Member

Money:
    $56
    Matt Canada, a former Butler QB coach is now the interim coach there.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. fdr

Money:
    $1,205
    Maryland accepting "legal and moral responsibility" for Jordan McNair's death. Several members of the athletic training staff were placed on paid administrative leave while an external investigation into the event takes place. The assistant athletic director for sports performance has already resigned and wrote an incredibly tone-deaf resignation letter that he posted on twitter. Head Coach DJ Durkin is also on paid administrative leave. The university president is forming a four person committee to look further into the football program's "toxic culture." Seems like they have their work cut out for them, since preliminary findings from the external investigation revealed a "general disregard for the players well-being."

My only hope is that there will be significant change that arises from this situation. Not just at Maryland, but at athletic programs across the country.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ponsibility-mistakes-made-death-jordan-mcnair

Irishdawg likes this.
  10. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator VIP Member

Money:
    $634
    Agreed - I know there's a ton of money and livelihoods involved, but at the end of the day, it's still kids playing a game, and it's ultimately entertainment. Now I'm sure as soon as Butler tips off I'll have to keep reminding myself of that fact, but sports should enhance the players' overall college experience, not cause them physical and mental anguish, and definitely not to the degree it appears to have in this instance.

11. fdr

Money:
    $1,205
    I've been reading a little more into the ongoing investigation and the reaction to the events. I'm now less optimistic anything positive will come out of this station. Why? All of the following are quoted directly from the articles listed.

“A few major donors have called me,” one booster told The Washington Post.“They’ve all expressed that basically DJ is getting made to hang out to dry, and that some of these so-called athletes are looking for participation trophies.”

https://www.theringer.com/2018/8/15/17691580/university-maryland-dj-durkin-rick-court-jordan-mcnair

When asked at a journalism school event May 9 about the concussions and head trauma often linked with playing football, Durkin denied there was a link between concussions and CTE — citing an unreleased Department of Defense study — before extolling the virtues of playing football. He called it the "ultimate team sport" due to the values it instills in its players.

"[You learn] life lessons, that I don't know where else they can be mimicked or translated in the same way," Durkin said. "Our society is going in a direction where it's the opposite of that. So where else does someone learn how to be a part of something bigger than themselves? How to be accountable to more than just yourself? How to take ownership of what's going on?"

Multiple times since Maryland hired him in December 2015, Durkin has told reporters he intentionally scheduled practices during parts of the day when it was hottest.

"The heat makes cowards out of us all," Durkin said in August 2016, according to the Carroll County Times. "We're working on some mental toughness, and that's what we're going to do.

"We're trying to make it as hard as we can."

And:

This callousness persisted after McNair's death, players told ESPN. After McNair died, Maryland coaches reportedly had a meeting with players, listening to their concerns in the wake of their teammate's death.

But while the intensity lessened during the remainder of the summer, players said it returned with the beginning of training camp on August 3.

"Now that we get to camp, it just seems like regular business," an unnamed player told ESPN. "That's when I started to get upset because I feel like nothing's really changed. Have these guys learned their lesson?"

The Maryland athletics department hired Walters Inc., an athletics consulting firm, to conduct a review of the team's protocols in the wake of McNair's death. A final report is expected Sept. 15.

Yet players alleged that the meetings with investigators, intended to be anonymous, were brief and unhelpful, and organized via a sign-up sheet outside assistant athletic director Jason Baisden's office — allowing coaches to see who was being interviewed. Interviews reportedly took place in the Gossett Football Team House, near Durkin's office.

"Basically anybody can walk by, any coach or whoever really wants to can walk by and see who signed up and see who's talking to the investigation," a current player said. "They're singling us out even more when it's supposed to be an anonymous investigation."

http://www.dbknews.com/2018/08/11/m...ath-dj-durkin-investigation-abuse-rick-court/

Surely other coaches and people in the college football world would be repulsed by the situation at Maryland, right?

estar20dawg likes this.
  12. fdr

Money:
    $1,205
    In the course of reading about Maryland's football program, I've come across a number of different statements and opinions that are just flat out shocking to me. And these aren't from random twitter accounts, either. Take Durkin's quote that I posted above (extolling the virtues of playing football):

"[You learn] life lessons, that I don't know where else they can be mimicked or translated in the same way," Durkin said. "Our society is going in a direction where it's the opposite of that. So where else does someone learn how to be a part of something bigger than themselves? How to be accountable to more than just yourself? How to take ownership of what's going on?"

Huh? So if you've never played football you can't learn certain life lessons? Our society is going in a direction where it's the opposite of that?

Calling out "so-called athletes" for asking for participation trophies when one of their teammates just died?

Here are some, uh, interesting takes from UNC's football coach Larry Fedora:

I'm speechless. I won't even comment on the political undercurrent of football in today's America, but I would sincerely hope that what I've posted above troubles you.

Tentozen and estar20dawg like this.
  13. bobbu64

bobbu64 Member

Money:
    $58
    Me thinks Fedora thinks people want to hear his drivel--what a dork. I wonder which general, if any, would say what Fedora says he did. Can't find anything from Pershing saying football turned the tide of WWI or General Bradley attributing our WWII victory to the sport. As concerns CTE, he probably doesn't have a clue. Fedora will probably be a memory next year.

14. NCJon

NCJon Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,192
    Fedora is an idiot and an embarrassment. He should've been fired for having the shoe sale happen on his watch, anyway. How that could happen at a program under such intense scrutiny is beyond me.