Mason Gillis - 2019 Forward (Purdue)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 11, 2015.

1. dawgnation

dawgnation Active Member

Money:
    $181
    Ya the staff like to stay pretty quiet about all the visits, contact, etc. Interesting considering how involved the team is on social media.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $396
    Please excuse my ignorance, but just curious as to where do all these people who post that such and such recruit is having an in-home visit with such and such college get their information from. Is is from the recruits themselves or is it from the schools who are recruiting them? Maybe I have slept since then, but I don't really recall seeing much information regarding the recruitment of Avery Woodson, Kethan Savage, etc. prior to them announcing that they were transferring to Butler. As dawgnation said, it just seems like Butler has historically been very hush hush about visits, contacts, etc.

3. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $34
    Staxawax likes this.
  4. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $396
  5. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,041
    Spring Break for Vall’s daughters. Things will pick up next week. But they historically are stealthy. Also whoever asked above, any media about in-homes are not coming from the staff—they can’t comment on recruits.

6. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,225
  7. Tark43

Tark43 Active Member

Money:
    $346
    No, but the staff could, I think, request the recruit to keep it quiet. I don't know if they do that or not, and so, how often the recruit complies, but it might be a good strategy in some cases since certain schools seem to jump on anybody we vet. Obviously in other cases, it's beneficial for interest to be known.

8. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $253
    There is absolutely no reason why a kid would comply to that which is why there is absolutely no chance that is happening.

The inactivity is because they are inactive. This is approaching Brandon Millerian levels of nothing

nindiana and peeps112 like this.
  9. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,079
    Scary it is.

10. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $551
    Spring break?!? Guess X and Purdue didn’t shut it down for spring break. Come on Vall and co where is the fire and momentum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $596
    Gotta love the yearly April panicking. It's a time honored Butler message board tradition!

12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,878
    To be fair, has it ever been that unwarranted? I mean, people give crap to those who panic this time of year, but in defense of that panicking, our classes pretty much never turn out good on paper.

If you want to make fun of something, I guess you could make fun of proclamations that we won’t be any good because our classes suck (somehow it almost always works out that our teams add up to more than the sum of the parts).

But people saying “we always panic this time of year, calm down we’ll get the highly regarded recruits/transfers in the end like we always do” is sort of dumb. Because we don’t. And we seem to have fallen behind again. So we probably won’t in this case either.

13. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,057
    I suppose it depends what you call "highly regarded".

Brunk/Baldwin/Baddley. With Savage and Woodson.

David/Thompson/Young. With PJ.

Transfer market doesn't fully developed until mid April and continues into late may. Freshman market won't pick up heavy until June. Lot of new names will appear. They always do. A lot will develop in July and you will see visits in August/September, followed by decisions.

And LaVall has already jumped the transfer market in January with Tucker and the Freshman market with Mulloy. Tuck would be one of the highest rated/sought after transfers in the market had he waited to transfer. Mulloy is just outside the Top150 and trending positively.

I'm sorry, but the "OMG, why isn't LaVall meeting this recruit?" nonsense that occurs every other post is asinine and it screams ignorance of the process.

14. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $703
    There’s not a coach in all of D1 who shuts it down because he wants to take his kids somewhere for Spring break. And if there is someone who does that, they should be fired on the spot. That’s not how it works at this level.

15. I Am Butler

Money:
    $4,057
    Coaches take vacations. Holtman did so as well. When that happens varies, but late march/early April is typical and is the best time for them because in mid-April things start to ramp up into recruiting season which runs right into the season.

Do college coaches not deserve a vacation and time with their family? That doesn't necessarily mean radio silence.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    huss587 and beezer16 like this.
  16. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $703
    I’m basing my comments on experience, what’s your basis for your response?

17. I Am Butler

Money:
    $4,057
    I deleted my comment because I believe I misinterpreted your post. But I may not have, I'm not sure.

If you are suggesting a coach would not take time in early April/spring break to take a short trip with family, I can promise you, I know otherwise and its absurd to suggest they shouldn't be able to.

If you a saying that despite a family trip, they never really "shut it down", I agree with you.

18. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,353
    The simple facts are BU was on Gillis early and often. The kid is going through the recruiting process just like most others do. He is a BU priority. Whether BU is in contact or not presently is an unknown. It's certainly not a reason to criticize the staff or others who post. Gillis is rated as a 3 star or 2 star, which granted is probably low, but BU is still a school of interest.

19. BHayden

BHayden Active Member

Money:
    $448
    This may be more on the crazy side since it’s Cal, but in high school I went on a vacation to Destin during the SEC coaches week and hung out with Calipari’s son Brad. I happened to meet him on the basketball courts around there playing against him. Cal barely ever had a moment of peace because he was making so many recruiting calls. These coaches don’t take a break, even when it seems they should be. He was on the phone the entire time.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

BUcheer and I Am Butler like this.
  20. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,936
    This. IF LaVall stopped doing his job at this critical time because he’s on a vacation, then he should be fired on the spot. At his level, there are no vacations.