Memphis Recruiting Violation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by kac12568, Nov 8, 2019 at 6:49 PM.

1. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,793
  2. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,265
  3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,222
    Reaching out to some old Memphis contacts...trying to get more info on this because this is huge news and can result in Wiseman not being eligible but also Penny losing his job. But...

A Shelby county (tn) judge about 30 minutes ago allowed for a restraining order to be filed by Wiseman's attorney (who is like, if you commit murder ever, hire him) and with that the judge overruled the ineligibility. So Wiseman can play tonight per this order. And Memphis is going to play him.

I think that's insanely risky. But Memphis already has their attorneys involved and fighting all of this.

Because Penny has made big contributions to Memphis in the past, he's considered a booster (even though he's now the coach) so any monies exchanged are very much against NCAA rules. And he did help with thousands of dollars and paid for the family move to get his claws into Wiseman and get him to Memphis from Nashville.

2xDawg likes this.
  4. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,293
    Let's face it Hardaway went behind Tubby's back and got him fired, Tubby is a decent guy and got screwed by Memphis. Hardaway will cheat like crazy for a year
    or two and Memphis will wonder what happened. The other cheat Pearl is also on tonight, all he did was get Chuck Person indicted. How does that slimeball keep
    his job? Oh well that is the state of NCAA basketball today. The NCAA is powerless and those cheats like Pearl, Self, Sean Miller, Williams, and Coach K know it.

Tentozen likes this.
  5. willisbrown

Money:
    $4,222
    Memphis is playing angry. Up I think 300. It won't last long. But they are going double bird against the NCAA and basically saying "we're playing Wiseman, you can go f off"

That won't last I don't think. The NCAA will take away all of their wins this season and show cause Penny. It's just a matter of time. NCAA went public about it, so has Memphis.

It was $11,500 that was given, in a cashiers check, which is what the NCAA has. Memphis is in deep ish. But they are fighting it. Not worth it. Fire Penny and suspend Wiseman, get ahead of it. Instead, they are going to be just mauled by the NCAA.

MBA2003 and Tentozen like this.
  6. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,724
    Yeah, Memphis might be opening up a tournament bid for someone else by playing Wiseman while the NCAA says he is “likely ineligible.”

jeff likes this.
  7. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member

Money:
    $564
    The NCAA has shown a great ability to roll over and play dead when challenged like UNC did. Memphis is no Kentucky, but I'm still getting a bad feeling if I'm a Cleveland State fan.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 9:32 PM
  8. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,323
    With this year’s below average draft class, the NCAA really needed something to get ppl to pay attention to the sport before March. What better way to do that than suspending the number 1 prospect?!?!

on a serious note, question for old ppl that have moved, how much does it cost? Is $11.5k pretty absurd?

9. willisbrown

Money:
    $4,222
    Nashville to Memphis is 200ish miles depending on what part you are going...so it would cost about 1000 to get movers and about 75 bucks in gas. This was pay to play. And Penny is nailed. I cannot stand Memphis at all, but objectively they need to run away from this as quickly as possible. Letting Penny run things and steadfastly let this kid play? It's basketball suicide. Their football program is improving but their money maker is hoops. And this will A-bomb their program.

10. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,349
    Certainly not surprised they’re getting nailed, but I am surprised it happened so quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

UDDawg likes this.
  11. willisbrown

Money:
    $4,222
    I gotta believe it elevated quickly because there was hard prove and they didn't have to go down a cash payment rabbit hole. I have no idea why Memphis is fighting this but they are. Parrish wrote about this morning, and he's a huge Memphis honk. Even he said it was a dangerous and probably dumb game to play.

12. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,216
    And $10,000 in Memphis would allow you to rent three mansions for a year. So there’s that.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

BulldogsAllTheWay likes this.
  13. willisbrown

Money:
    $4,222
    It's basically this-his lawsuit is that he knew nothing of this so he should be allowed to play.

NCAA is saying-hey Memphis-you kinda should have asked these questions in your Penny interview and because you didn't, we're coming down on you.

Memphis is saying F you and F off. We're going to get this thing tied up in the courts, you can't do ish right now, if you come after us after the lawsuit is done being snarled up...we don't care. We'll win 25-30 games, go to the tournament, give these kids a great experience, our fans the best season they've seen in years, and if you want to come after us in 2020 or later, fine. Take our wins, everyone knows we have them. Shove your rules up your ass and we're going to go beat down teams, win our conference and go dancing.

GP said today that he's talked to plenty athletic directors and everyone said this was a crazy strategy, they'd never do it. But, Memphis gonna Memphis.

BulldogsAllTheWay likes this.
  14. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,293
    As long as writers like the Star's Doyal are pleasing for Wiseman the NCAA will be under pressure to the wrong thing. Let's face the NCAA is becoming a great
    bit bag of wind. Hardaway broke the rules and should be punished, but he won't.

15. ap234

ap234 Active Member

Money:
    $175
    If there is proof that Wiseman didn't know that his parents took the money then I feel Penny and the program should get the bulk of the penalties. Give Wiseman a few games but to lose the entire season is ridiculous for the kid. I think the athletes need to stop getting the bulk of the penalties for adults violations.

estar20dawg likes this.
  16. willisbrown

Money:
    $4,222
    That's the defense his lawyer is rolling with-that he's simply a kid and had no knowledge of what his mom/penny were doing. Which, I call BS but then again, when I was a kid, I just wanted to be to play golf/soccer/tennis/hoops and have enough pocket money to go to Pizza Hut and Taco Bell. I never questioned where it came from. I was ignorant, willfully. Maybe he was and this is all on his mom and penny. He's the #1 pick in the draft next year regardless. Memphis is going to let him play, and they'll take their hammering after the fact. Banners may not fly but the memories and excitement of the fan base will.

17. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member

Money:
    $564
    That's a very slippery slope. If you say the kid gets penalized minimally or not at all if he didn't know about the payment at the time, that leaves a giant loophole for future recruits. The logical thing for parents to do in the future would be to take big payments but not tell their kids--best of both worlds for them.

It's very interesting reading the Memphis message boards. They seem convinced that the basketball fans are almost unanimous in their support of Memphis against the hated NCAA. They see it as a PR war and they think they're winning. I think they're delusional. IMHO, a lot of people feel bad for Wiseman but there's no reservoir of goodwill for Memphis--they used that up years ago.

I have no problem with penalizing the player, the coach and the school in this situation--especially since, as you pointed out, somehow mom got about 10 times as much as it should have cost for the move. The most troubling part of the case for me is that the NCAA, with full knowledge of the facts, initially approved his eligibility, then, with no additional facts and just before the first game of the season, said they thought he was ineligible. That's a really bad look for the NCAA.

There seems to be a general feeling on the Memphis boards that they cooperated on the Derrick Rose situation and still got whacked by the NCAA so there's nothing to lose by fighting this time.

18. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $619
    Is the Pope Catholic? Do bears **** in the woods? Does the sun set in the West? All are well known sarcastic, rhetorical questions. "Is that a bad look for the NCAA?" could easily be added to the list.

19. willisbrown

Money:
    $4,222
    If you go listen to GP and Norlander's podcast, they dive really deep into this and it's fascinating. If it is proven the NCAA knew of this and said ok, then backtracked...yeah that's a bad look and complete horse doo doo. I have no problem with the initial decision, but if they cleared him before, I start siding with Memphis (who all of you know, I despise).

Saying that, I completely am of the belief that the lawyer's argument is a pure lie and this whole thing was in play with Wiseman knowing. But they're playing that card so...we'll see. Either way, they are going to come down and obliterate that program.

20. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,323
    At least Reggie Bush was in college up in LA, when his parents took money behind his back down in San Diego...