Myles Fox Morrissey - 2014 Guard (Xavier)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Dec 5, 2012.

1. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,235
    "How about simply not bring Macura in for a visit within days of accepting another job . . ."

I don't think that's the case. Why do you?

2. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,194
    You don't think what is the case? I'm not understanding the point your making, thus can't give you an answer.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    I agree Xavier and Butler have similar size, similar academics, are both private schools, aren't BCS schools, both are in the same conference and both have good win-loss percentages. The kid picked the school he thought was most stable and proven at the HC position. I think he may have been better off picking Butler because of style of play and we all would have been happier had he picked us. Let's move on.

4. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,218

Ugggggggggggggg........................A few days prior to Brad accepting the Celtics job he had no idea the Celtics were really interested. Besides in any professional situation it's always business as usual right up until someone bolts. Seriously have you ever spent a single day in the real world ?

5. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,839
    You're overreacting here pf1. How often does a kid commit to a school within 2 months after the head coach leaves? I would love for you to find me some examples of this happening at the major level.

Also, I don't have a problem losing recruits to Xavier if we continue achieving more basketball success than them. Butler and Xavier rarely recruit the same players anyway.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  6. BUcheer

Money:
    $9,235
    Brad had not accepted the Celtics job when Macura came for his visit. Why do you think he had?

7. I Am Butler

Money:
    $5,194
    I've been in plenty of professional situations where transitions occur. The way most professionals handle it, and in no way am I calling BS unprofessional, is to leave your successor is the best position possible.

The visit could have been rescheduled for any number of legitimate reasons without raising eyebrows. While I have no doubt that BS meant well and I'm sure worked hard for a committment, what is the very best case scenario having Macura visit the week prior to BS leaving? A commitment followed by a quick de-commit.

1) Macura was brought in under the pretenses that BS would be his HC. 2) The OV was burned before Mier could use it to his advantage.

8. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,584
    I hate losing recruits to Xavier if it's someone we really wanted and could help us take down the likes of Xavier in the future. Problem is when you don't even make the final cut of Macura's schools after he was reported to be a somewhat heavy Butler lean...then lose him to your big rival 100 miles away, it sucks.

I think most are making solid points as to the "why". Losing him to Minnesota would have been one thing. Getting slashed off of his list and then him going to a place like Xavier hurts. He was on board with a lot of what Butler had to offer. When BS left it threw everything up in the air and put us behind a **** load to our competitors on many recruits. We all knew this would happen, now it's unraveling as we expected. I do believe almost every poster predicted this immediate implosion once Stevens left. It won't last forever but it's painful right now.

But I think this one is pretty obvious. Macura wanted Butler with Brad Stevens, he wanted nothing to do with Butler without him and cut us from his list soon after the departure to Boston. No choice now but to hate him like every player who dons that sickening uniform.

9. BUcheer

Money:
    $9,235
    Has anyone considered for a moment that Stevens didn't know for certain he was taking the position when Macura visited? That there was still a very good chance he could be Macura's head coach should he decide to comitt?

10. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,584
    I think that's very fair if BS was in negotiations with the Celtics when this OV happened, and if so how far down the road were the negotiations.

11. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $4,218
    "The way most professionals handle it, and in no way am I calling BS unprofessional, is to leave your successor is the best position possible."

Most professionals don't alter business assuming they are taking a job that has yet to be formally offered, or terms extended and negotiated. I am sorry but you are just clueless.

12. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $4,218
    "Has anyone considered for a moment that Stevens didn't know for certain he was taking the position when Macura visited?"

The Celtics job hadn't even been offered.

13. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,978
    Well thought out post pf1, I would just ask, what is a reasonable expectation? Chris Mack is a proven head coach that has taken Xavier to the tournament, and actually did pretty well last year with what was probably Xavier's roughest offseason as a program in their recent history in losing Lyons, Wells and having several of their players as partial qualifiers. Xavier's facilities are better than Butler's, their fanbase is bigger than Butler's, the money pouring into their program is greater than Butler's and they have a proven head coach that's been to the tournament while Brandon Miller is 2 months into his first head coaching gig and is just getting to know a lot of these kids from his previous 3 months on the job before becoming head coach.

So what's he supposed to sell? Ed Cooley can sell the NBA route to guys and the fact that they're the biggest game in town. Different league, but Chris Collins has the B1G, his multitude of years recruiting the Midwest for a monster program like Duke, and Northwestern's academics overall are the best in the B1G. Xavier and Creighton are going to have their facilities, coaches and tournament experience, Creighton's the biggest game in Omaha, and Xavier, while maybe isn't as big as Cincinnati, is still a bigger game than what Butler is in Indy.

Right now Butler, and conversely Brandon Miller, have a major perception problem amongst recruits, fans and basketball experts, because Brad Stevens is and was bigger than Butler, and they don't have enough in material things to make up for that loss recruiting against other schools in this league. I'm not giving Brandon Miller a permanent excuse, but until kids even have an idea of how he can coach and if Butler is going to amount to anything post Brad Stevens, what is he going to say to kids to sell them on Butler over any school in the Big East?

As ButlerWay stated in his blog post, Butler is going to have to continue being Butler. They're going to have to win to get recruits to listen, and the guys they bring in oftentimes aren't going to be as highly rated as guys going to Xavier (or pretty much any Big East school for that matter). It's not an excuse though you may look at it as one. It's reality, because whatever Butler tries to sell to a kid, Xavier, Creighton, Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova, Providence, St. John's, etc... yeah, their's is nicer.

14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097
    Irishdawg and pf1 you are both right. Again Butler doesn't have the facilities or budget to attract big time talent and now with a new coach it is hard to sell history. I don't know how Miller will do but I can't imagine he won't be as good a practice and game coach as Chris Mack or Ed Cooley. Macura said he wanted to play some point guard and he wanted a stable program. He got half of what he wanted. He doesn't have the skill set to play point guard but was probably told otherwise. Xavier's other recruit is a point guard.

15. I Am Butler

Money:
    $5,194
    Nobody is arguing that Stevens purposely caused this. The point is that it's fair to assume Macura might have felt a little misled and the lack of an OV for Miller to use did nothing to help his chances of rebuilding that relationship.

16. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,584
    I guess it depends on what you believe and don't believe about how close he was (wasn't) to committing. Some pundits talk as if he was a very heavy lean. If that is the case, and a monthish later he cuts Butler from his high interest list, after taking an OV here, then I think it's very fair to say that his biggest attraction to Butler was the success under Stevens and what Stevens could be for him as a coach. When Stevens bolted, Macura's interested dimmed, to the point where the following month he cut Butler from his list of schools, none of whom should be beating us for a recruit we really wanted.

So, in my mind, it says to me he didn't want Butler after Stevens left. Of course he listened and kept somewhat a relationship, but not as serious as he once was...which I think is obvious by how things went down.

17. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,584
    This is an outstanding post.

18. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,352
    Jerry Meyer‏@jerrymeyer2473h
    @cbeane51 J.P.Macura was tempted by big state scholl but his desire was to go to a smaller private school. Why Butler was originalky leader

--------------

Dunham vs Macura is going to be interesting for two years. I'll go with advantage Butler in the Jr Dunham vs the Fr Macura. Great job by X to beat out local state school Minnesota. Probably says alot about Pitino. Read a tweet where Macura really liked the new X assistant coach that was his lead recruiter and he had a great visit there last weekend. So Darren Wolfson's tweet about Butler was crap.

Just curious about transfers within the Big East though. Do we have the same rules as the Big ten where you cannot go on scholie if you transfer to another school in your conference? X has alot of transfers. Macura could be one down the road. I thought if he chose Minn he might eventually be a transfer candidate also.

19. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097
    He would have been a star on potential cellar dweller Minnesota. I know Title was big on Minn. getting big time recruits from their state and they need them badly because Pitino has very little talent this year.

20. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,788
    Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 1h
    Here is some fuel for #Crystalball of Isaiah Whitehead. Heard J.P. Macura tried to commit but Minnesota held off