Myles Fox Morrissey - 2014 Guard (Xavier)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    They either want him or they don't. Sounds like he isn't high on their prospect list.

2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,116
    I agree. But also have seen on twitter (fwiw) that he was to meet with Pitino today, or some crap like that. And that an offer is expected soon.

3. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,194
    He would be a great start (albeit late) to the 2014 class. He'd immediately become one of the better recruits BS has landed and would give Bluiett some perspective as to what the class could look like. Would certainly be nice for Bluiett to not feel like he has to be the first domino.

Dunham/Brown/Bluiett/Macura in 2014/2015 would be some nice firepower from deep.

4. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,764
    JP Macura ‏@jpmacura 50m
    Excited to take my first official visit tomorrow to Butler

5. SchlabbaDawg

SchlabbaDawg Active Member

Money:
    $3,159
  6. bd5

bd5 Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $3,289
    I have a feeling that was done/said just to delay the process so Minnesota could get more looks at him. If they were going to offer, they would have done it while he was visiting. With word of his visit official visit to Butler looming, they took a shot at stalling his recruitment so that they can have a chance to re-evaluate him. Hoping that J.P. doesn't give them the chance to.

7. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,218

My understanding is Pitino wasn't on campus and the strength and conditioning coach conducted the tour. U of M claims Pitino was on vacation, but that makes no sense, what D1 coach schedules a vacation at the height of the prep recruiting and visitation period. It's much more likely Pitino was off campus doing home visits with other recruits, they just didn't want to admit it. It looks to me it's likely they brought him in as a PR move because he is a local kid, and only have interest if a couple other offers fall on flat ears. I don't think they will offer anytime soon.

8. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Ben Johnson, Minnesota's top assistant and the guy who has been Macura's primary recruiter, hosted Macura. (http://m.1500espn.com/pages/sportsw...ts_with_lakeville_north_guard_jp_macura062613) It certainly wasn't their strength and conditioning coach.

I think this idea you're floating that Pitino is lying about being on vacation is a totally speculative conspiracy theory. I also think it's extremely more likely that Minnesota is genuinely interested in Macura than that they are putting on a dog and pony show for PR purposes. All reports indicate that Minnesota is very close to offering.

9. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5
    If Macura does not commit in the next couple of days, it will be interesting to see what happens to Justin Gray's offer and whether we make a hard push to get Devin Mitchell up here for a visit.

10. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    I think I read somewhere that Pitino hadn't seen him play in person. But the University in Minnesota is the only university of import in the state is tough for a kid to pass up. It probably is an easier sell than even IU in Indiana. Where is Title?

11. bd5

Money:
    $3,289
    Why would they not offer while he was on a visit then if they are already very close to offering? If they are waiting to evaluate him again, they won't get to see him in AAU action for 3 more weeks. Doesn't sound like that fits the "very close to offering" timeframe. What more could they be waiting on? Another prospects decision?

This impropmtu visit was a direct result of the news the Macura was taking an official visit to Butler. They were not ready to offer him a scholarship, but wanted to make sure he thought they were in case he had already made up his mind on Butler. Doesn't matter now though, if Butler does not get a commitment from Macura on this visit, we can assume that this tactic worked (regardless of it he gets a MN offer soon or not).

12. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5
    What you are trying to say makes no sense. If you're trying to bait another poster, coherence helps.

13. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $4,218
    " totally speculative conspiracy theory"

It may be based on objective and well thought out speculation, but in no way is it a "conspiracy" theory. Does it make sense to you Pitino would be on vacation this week ? If he is U of M hired the wrong guy.

Sorry I saw Ben Johnson labeled as the strength and conditioning coach on a another forum. I was wrong on that and should have pulled up their coaching staff before posting.

14. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $4,218
    What he is saying is they may not be as aggressive pursuing local recruits because they have a feeling they can back pocket them as needed.

15. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5
    It makes a ton more sense than the athletic department lying to recruits in an age where the Internet continuously reveals the whereabouts of coaches. My first assumption tends not to be that someone is lying. Maybe we just have a different outlook.

Agree it's probably not the greatest time for a vacation, but coaches are humans too.

16. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Because part of the definition of "very close to offering" is that you aren't ready to offer yet. Maybe our disagreement is just semantics.

Yes, or for an internally set deadline on another player's commitment, or for more evaluation. I agree that they are trying to keep Macura as a back-up option, but I don't think this means they aren't "very close to offering." Both can be true at the same time.

Anyway, this is splitting hairs. What's important is whether we get a commitment in the next couple of days. I'd imagine things will only become tougher if we don't. Plus, this could force Justin Gray's hand, so we might have to make some choices there.

Right on. Kudos to the staff for getting him down here for a visit and putting on the pressure.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  17. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Oh, OK. That makes sense. I agree.

18. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $4,218
    "It makes a ton more sense than the athletic department lying to recruits in an age where the Internet continuously reveals the whereabouts of coaches"

We will have to disagree on this. I believe athletic departments lie to recruits all the time. Remember the information he is on vacation came from the press, not the recruit.

"Agree it's probably not the greatest time for a vacation, but coaches are humans too."

Yeah and they are also expected to be professionals and their employment can be terminated at any time.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  19. bd5

Money:
    $3,289
  20. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Looking through the new Rivals rankings, I noticed Purdue's Dakota Mathias at #129. On the surface it seems like these two are very similar, but Butler never really pursued Mathias. I wonder if we had a change in strategy or whether we see something in Macura we didn't see in Mathias. If so, what?