Nate Fowler - 2015 Center (Signed)

Discussion in 'Former Bulldogs' started by Jared Grubbs, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    [align=center]Nate Fowler
    2015 Center - 6'10" 235 lbs
    Moeller High School - Cincinnati, Ohio
    AAU: King James Shooting Stars

[​IMG]

Scout Profile (2 Stars)
    Rivals Profile
    ESPN (79)

Offers: Butler, Dayton, Miami, West Virginia[/align]

2. thevinrod

thevinrod Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $719
    RE: Trevon Bluiett - 2014 Forward (Offered)

Saw Bluiett in the second row behind the Butler bench.

3. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957

Anyone else there who hasn't been mentioned yet?

4. ButlerHomer

ButlerHomer Active Member

Money:
    $297

I'm pretty sure I saw a tall white kid in a Michigan hoodie that was with the other recruits.

5. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,143

I think he may be a recruit from Cincinnati moeller--don't know a name.

6. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957

Nate Fowler?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Nate-Fowler-139732;_ylt=Ak04ii8mdXLrQqJBH20ItLpIPZB4

7. ButlerHomer

ButlerHomer Active Member

Money:
    $297

It was hard to get a good look because his hood was up but the size looks right. I really don't know though.

8. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,143

Didn't get a good look at is face, but he was a big kid. Thought he might have been a football recruit until I was told BB.

9. Three Specks

Three Specks New Member

Money:
    $5

yup. thats him

10. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $279
  11. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957

You'll notice he plays with Butler targets Luke Kennard and AJ Harris.

12. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957
    Looks like he was at the Michigan camp yesterday:

http://www.umhoops.com/2013/06/02/scouting-upperclassmen-big-men-at-michigan-college-practice-camp/

13. bd5

bd5 Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $3,289
    Undersized, non-athletic center with a slow drop step. Sounds about right.

I will withhold most of my judgement until I actually research him a little bit more (as I am not familiar with him at all) but from the "highlight" video to the write-up, just doesn't seem like a good offer to make a priority. Although I have to commend the staff on recognizing the need for a Center.

14. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957
    You could say the exact same thing about Smits. I actually started to put together a highlight video for him, but then I thought it might get the same reaction as the Darius Thompson one I made, where it actually made people not want him. It's all about potential with both of these players. I also don't think it's a coincidence they received offers on the same day. Michigan has actually been all over Fowler for the past few years. He's been hearing from Ohio State for quite a while too. The upside is certainly there. As I said in the Smits thread a few weeks back, Butler has some room in the 2015 class for a project. I don't think it's a bad gamble at all.

15. bd5

bd5 Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $3,289
    My concern though is that we are using the first offers (which are usually used for known/elite talent to show you are serious about a player) for project/developing talent. I have no problems that the offers were given - as I agree the upside is certainly there, but would have been more comfortable with a Fleming offer or another player that being offered first would have played dividends against much tougher recruiting competition.

Either way, I am fine with the offers - just find them interesting as the first offers for the 2015 class.

16. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957
    It is kind of interesting that they have not offered players like Coleman, Kennard, Flemming, etc (at least that we think anyways, it hasn't even been 24 hours yet since they would have happened). I don't really have a good explanation. If I had to throw out a theory, it would be that they wanted to be 100% they were the first ones to offer Smits and felt like they couldn't wait another 2 weeks. Then they wanted to make sure they offered Fowler at the same time, so they offered him too. Maybe that is to try and put pressure on Smits to get him to speed up his timetable, or maybe it is because they know that if they are going up against Michigan and Ohio State they can't have Fowler thinking he is a secondary target.

It's all wild speculation that probably isn't true. It's certainly been an interesting turn of events this weekend. There are a thousand different ways to interpret Butler's last 4 offers. While tempting to try and decipher it really won't do any good.

17. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    Makes sense to offer both Smits and Fowler if they fit what Brad wants. If one chooses great. They both probably won't go to the same school. I also don't have a problem with guys like Smits, Chaz and Fowler being undersized, not athletic( read white) and young if they hustle, play defense, team ball, set picks and block out. Larry Bird once said that 90% of all rebounds are below the rim.

18. Three Specks

Three Specks New Member

Money:
    $5
    I know everyone is going wild over Smits. (im guessing it has something to do with his name value) I honestly think Fowler is a better prospect. If I had to choose one, I'd choose Fowler

19. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Why do you think that?

20. Three Specks

Three Specks New Member

Money:
    $5
    Just going off what little tape on them that I have seen.

I get that Smits might end up being 7'1 or taller, but Fowler is a guy who will be 6'11 or 7'0 when its all said and done and he has a better frame and post moves than Smits. He can also consistently knock down the mid range jumper

I'm not a coach, nor do I claim to be a recruiting expert, so this is all just my personal opinion. I'd probably be happy with either