Nate Fowler - 2015 Center (Signed)

Discussion in 'Former Bulldogs' started by Jared Grubbs, Dec 26, 2012.

1. ButlerHomer

ButlerHomer Active Member

Money:
    $307
    It says that there are kids who just love the university and believe in the Butler Way. It's good to see, especially with guys who I think will pan out like Fowler.

2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,679
    I remember his family saying they didn't want him to go to a big nicer sixty and wanted him the have a normal college experience. Unlike a lot of kids education experience is more important than basketball.

3. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $14,679
    Just heard that Fowler has a stress fracture in his foot and will be out a significant time period. Not good for his development and as a recruit.

4. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
  5. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,458
    And that's troubling because as a big, a real big, this is something that may be a continuing issue going forward. Sucks for the kid and hopefully he can fight through it. But it's definitely something to keep an eye on and could be significant going forward.

6. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $14,679
    Not good. Seems like once big guys have bone problems they often never get better.

7. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    It is concerning. I can think of a ton of BIGS that had foot problems. I know Moeller probably wants him to play this season, so they might not opt for surgery....but for the long term Fowler needs to do what is best....so that he can play 100% pain free.

"Seeking multiple medical opinions." That's the part that scares me.

8. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,606
    Hopefully the "multiple opinions" include the BU team docs.

9. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $14,679
    Surgery?

10. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
  11. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $171
    It's not the end all be all, but generally speaking, yes, once a big man starts having problems, especially ones that have to do with the feet, it tends to be a chronic issue. Hopefully that's not the case in this instance, but it's definitely concerning.

12. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,537
    Poor Bill Walton had an okay NBA career when he could have been elite if not for his foot issues. Yep, these tend to be chronic once they begin. Hope there is a "cure" on the horizon. Wish him well. We sorely need a reliable 5. Does this make Joey Brunk a little more important, even though he is probably a real long shot? In any case, having Brunk and a healthy Fowler would be awesome.

13. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $14,679
    Walton was freaky good until he had foot problems. Outside of Jabar there were few as good.

14. willisbrown

Money:
    $7,458
    Bill Walton is a great example of a big whose foot problems really derailed what could have been a special career. Hell in somewhat recent history, Yao MIng was a great talent that couldn't beat the foot issues as a big. Granted, Fowler is nothing close to those too but he's a big boy, getting bigger, putting a lot of pressure on the feet...and if he's already had this problem before? It's not a good sign. We really need his size so selfishly, you really hope it's nothing too serious, but it's very concerning.

15. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Brunk is definitely a priority for 2016. I'm concerned about our BIGS depth for the 15-16 season, given Fowler's penchant for injury and possible chronic foot problems. Wideman/Chrabascz/Davis. If you count Etherington as a stretch 4...then it's 4 bodies not counting Fowler.

I think Butler is going to need to add one more BIG before next season to be on the safe side. We have the scholies. 2015 is a woefully bad class though Nationally. I doubt if they can find another FR BIG that can actually play in the Big East at this late date. Taking a 5th year grad transfer BIG for next season might make sense, given Fowler's injury history.

Tyler Cavanaugh. Man, would he have looked good. Now we kind of know why Butler was so all in on that. I hope Fowler gets healthy, cause he is very important in the numbers game. He's a very serviceable BIG.

Big decision for the coaching staff IMO as transfers become available. A regular transfer at the end of this season really does us no good for 15-16 as they would have to sit. Maybe something comes up in the Mid-season variety, a Grad transfer or even possibly a JUCO BIG. I have this bad feeling, it's going to need to be addressed.......

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  16. willisbrown

Money:
    $7,458
    I agree with your feeling and it underscores the point even more about getting the coaching situation figured out sooner than later so we have stability enough to be enticing for a transfer or JUCO. There are a few good JUCOS unsigned and there will be names pop up coming up soon when the semester is over, as well as into next Spring for transfer options. If we continue to play well it certainly helps, but with no coach it'll be hard to get in front of anyone that could be a solid piece for 2015-2016.

You hate this for Fowler too in his Senior year. You want to dream on the hope that it is an easy fix and he'll be out there competing for playing time next season. But the history of this kind of thing is tough.

17. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,945
    The one potential positive is if he opts for surgery in the off-season is using a medical red-shirt on him his freshman year. Getting an extra year to grow, heal and develop/learn the system never hurt a big. Short-term it hurts, but could be a good thing long-term.

18. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,837
    Would be all for this if we can snag another big for a year or two.

19. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Fowler was at the NW game yesterday. Left foot in a Boot.

20. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $139
    Better in a boot this year than next!