Navigating Covid-19.

Discussion in 'Non Sports' started by Staxawax, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,961
    E7AC1F7E-6BA6-43F1-968F-452047E2FAB8-1238-000000A8D711F8D1.jpg

Seems this should be a timely topic for discussion and thought.
    Here in Avon,IN (suburban west Indy) one of the elementary schools has been closed for 2 weeks because a student tested positive. So it seems a matter a time before we are all exposed one way or another.
    The DOW continues to tank and some are panicking.
    Experts say for most people it will feel just like a common cold. But for older people (willis has already labeled me “dead man walking” ) those with underlying health issues are at risk.
    Are we as a country doing this right?

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,395
    No, but unfortunately politics get in the way of science all the time - global warming (now you have to say climate change), drug companies, lead in gasoline, now this. Kind of reminds me of the plot of V for Vendetta with the St Mary’s school and the “cure,” find the cure or the vaccine on your watch? To a disease that is spreading (get the public in a panic by delaying response earlier) quickly? Likely get re-elected.
    Again, I’m not saying the current establishment is doing said things, just saying that funds could be appropriated better and things could’ve moved quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

estar20dawg likes this.
  3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,916
    The US is rated number one by the WHO for preparedness whereas China is rated like 55. As a former banker I had to manage a bank due to a run on the bank which was impacted significantly by the community newspaper’s sensational headlines. What I saw and had to deal with was an outright panic that didn’t need to happen. I had people threatening to throw furniture through the windows if they didn’t get their money, it was incredibly scary. What Im getting at is the panic can be far worse than the incident.

I’m not hoarding toilet paper or drinking water either of which will stem the virus.

I’m confident the CDC and state agencies are doing the right things but the MSM know publicizing “ the truth” does not sell. Something to keep in mind- the world’s population grows by around 9,500 people every hour. The Coronavirus has killed what around 3,500? Hinkle how is that for Advanced Metrics?

estar20dawg likes this.
  4. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,834
    A de-funded CDC and lack of a national leadership has resulted in public anxiety.

I work in healthcare for a major player in central Indiana. The fear is real, and overblown to an extent. I did read a very good article about the virus this morning, mentioned that it was much more similar (thankfully) to N1H1 than to SARS. Not an official reaction, just my hunch, it's been here for awhile. According to genetic scientists, it was in the Seattle region for 6 weeks before the first case.

It's going to be a long week for my wife, a stockbroker, and me in healthcare. I may need my own Corona virus on Thursday afternoon. :)

DawgsMD and NCJon like this.
  5. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,604
    We are woefully unprepared. The way our systems - local, state, federal governments, health car providers, first responders, insurance companies, etc. - are decentralized means they fail to communicate with each other effectively or in a timely manner.

The problem is compounded by the complete ineptitude at the helm of our federal government.

People's fears are warranted. How they express them may not be. Unfortunately we don't have leadership capable of calming those fears.

This story ought to scare the **** out of every American, and especially those with family in senior living situations:

https://www.kuow.org/stories/the-days-leading-up-to-the-outbreak-at-life-care-center-in-kirkland

Hinkle and estar20dawg like this.
  6. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,787
  7. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,211
    You need a real corona.

What I think is really troubling about this is just how much fear mongering is going on; it’s really hard to get real information.

I think anyone publishing death rates is full of it. It’s either lack of critical thinking or outright deception. I’ve decided just to try to ask medical professionals that I know since the media (All sources) seems to be unreliable.

One thing I haven’t seen addressed is that mainland China had about 85,000 cases as of Friday. If we concentrated those all in Wuhan (obviously not the case in reality), which has a pop of 11.08 mil (2018), thats 76 people out of every 10,000 that even got the virus. That’s less than 1%.

Obviously the fear is the uncontrollable-any of us could get it. My parents are old, I genuinely fear for them. Yes, China took extreme measures to stop the spread of it and we haven’t done the same, but still even at the epicenter, it’s substantially less than 1% of the population that even contracted it.

If we do the same job of controlling it as China did across our entire country and accept the death rate of approximately 2.5%, that’s a population death rate of 2.5*10^-2 x 7.767*10^-3. thats 19 out of every hundred thousand people that will die. (Total 62,168).

While that’s a lot of people and our lack of preparedness is a complete debacle, the level of fear for something that has a 19 in 100,000 probability of killing you is bananas.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

SnoopDawg and Dunhamfor3 like this.
  8. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,961
    Well crap, we (Avon) are screwed. A 2nd student has emerged, and now ALL Avon schools are closed for 2 weeks. I fear the end is near, but I will continue to post as long as I can. But, when I come down with it, make sure you wash your hands and wipe you ass before reading my posts.
    Butlerguy03, there is no “defunded” CDC. You are drinking the fake news kool aid.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,261
    03 might be talking the government getting rid of the entire pandemic response chain of command in 2018 and never replacing them. And, no, that’s not fake news.

butlerguy03 and dawgs2014 like this.
  10. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,245
    Combining your thoughts with NCJon's

1) the good news is that extreme measures (thorough testing, shutdowns, disruptions to everyday life) have worked against this virus in challenging situations-- in China (and possibly S. Korea). S. Korea has tested >195K people, China shut off the economy in places and checked temperature on every couple of blocks. In both these countries, the estimated R0 factor--basically how infectious it is--has dropped from well above 1 to below the key number of 1 (on average each person who has it now passes it on to no-one).

2) However, we had >1 month to prepare, testing is still botched, and coordination between federal/state/local is wholly inadequate.

So yes, it can be contained with coordinated effort and proven procedures, but our response thus far doesn't give me great confidence that this will happen very soon.

Tentozen likes this.
  11. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,527
    No worries as the very stable genius and Mr. Wizard are in charge.

Tentozen and butlerguy03 like this.
  12. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,131
    Short your Oil stocks. Granted it was the sell off of a lifetime today thanks to the Saudis, but I got in at the bell and by close I was up 9%+.

13. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,834
    I am buying like crazy right now.

estar20dawg likes this.
  14. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,211
    I’m buying some every day but I worry the election will possibly make anything that happens between now and then irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

15. Danville Bulldog

Money:
    $1,787
  16. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,617
    The fact of the matter is, news agencies get paid by clicks and views. Stop clicking on Covid-19 articles and they will stop posting about it.

To say the federal government is responsible for this is completely absurd. Keep drinking your Bernie kool-aid. I'll drink my Corona.

iluvsnow likes this.
  17. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,527
    Obama started Covid-19 and the media is helping it spread with the help of the Dems.

18. Danville Bulldog

Money:
    $1,787
    Let's get real ... Covid-19 was created in the Wuhan Institute of Virology as a biological warfare weapon. It likely infected one of the workers and was unintentionally leaked. WHO is fully aware of this. Meanwhile, the mainstream media’s narrative still maintains that the origin of the 2019 Coronavirus is the Wuhan Seafood Market.

19. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,435
    Oh, Danville.

bwesson15, bumba, dawgs2014 and 2 others like this.
  20. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,916
    No the CDC was not defunded. That was a lie repeated at the last democratic debate and then repeated by the MSM. Public anxiety comes from both sides of the aisle and the MSM.

iluvsnow likes this.