NBA Picks vs. Performance

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by ButlerGoalie, Jun 20, 2013.

1. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,713
    I didn't really know where else to put this, so I created a thread here for this very interesting and interactive infographic.

http://visual.ly/nba-draft-top-picks-v-top-performers?view=true

Naturally, this is meant to show how players performed in respect to their draft position. From there, you can see which players over-achieved (Jeff Hornacek in '86 anyone?) and which ones bombed (Darko, Oden, Thabeet). Additionally, you can click on the teams and move the slider for top performers to see which teams really maximized their draft picks and which ones couldn't pick their way out of a paper bag.

As it relates to Butler, in the 2010 draft, Hayward (picked 9th) is actually ranked as 5th best in his class (based on minutes played and efficiency ratings) and Mack (picked 34th) is actually ranked 31st in his class. It's a truly fun and fascinating little distraction. But it got me thinking, I bet there's a way to create something similar for college basketball. Using high school rankings and college performance. Of course, it would tough given all of the early departures, but I still think it would be interesting to see how that shakes out.

2. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $375
    I feel bad for Greg Oden. I saw him walking around Indy with a cane. Only 25 years old and he is done.

3. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,856
  4. wazthree

wazthree Active Member

Money:
    $2,879

I feel about as bad for him as I do for Ray Rice.