NBA to Offer Top Recruits $125k for G League

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by Jared Grubbs, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,066
  2. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,285
    Still have 4 years until the CBA is up and the moving of the tectonic plates

3. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,066
    I'm actually happy with this regardless of the outcome. I personally am not a fan of the "one and done" players that have no interest in being college students and I don't mind if they leave. It's not going to hurt the game. If they don't leave, it means they value the college exposure/experience more than the $125k+ offer from the G league, and that should pretty much squash the myth that players are being exploited. Win-win in my book.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  4. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,285
    So bc less than 20 players choose not to turn pro out of HS, the other 3,000+ players are not being exploited?

5. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $92
    Not really. It's no longer going to be something that's forced on the players that they have to go to college without a legitimate option in the U.S. to go the pro route. Kids get cost of attendance on top of their scholarships, parents can now get flown to tournament games, teams can provide the kids as much food as they want/need.

Do I think more players could possibly earn more money during the season than they are now? Sure. But now they have a choice. Go to the G-League, deal with worse facilities, amenities and travel arrangements BUT get paid a decent chunk (basically fair market value based on these trials) of change and play against better competition on a nightly basis in order to develop their games and lives for the pros or go the college route and get paid very little but have a bigger platform and better amenities to showcase their skills, but not playing the same class of competition on a nightly basis. It's a choice that families will have to make going forward, and I think it's a good thing to give them that choice. I also don't believe this stops guys from still leaving school early if they feel like they're ready.

WestLoopDog likes this.
  6. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $225
    I see the opportunity to take the true one and done player out of the mix as a net positive. The NBA has moved in the right direction. It won't change elite college players being drafted after demonstrating NBA worthiness post season whether that is year 1,2,3 or 4. Nor should it. But it does address the challenge of university as a 1 year farm for NBA elites.
    I am thinking your question speaks to compensation above the full scholarship, based on player/sport contribution of wealth to the university. This debate is still in play. Very complex issue to solve.

7. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,830
    Coach K : "Chump change"

8. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,066
    If nobody takes it, it’s proof that the value the NCAA is offering to players is worth more than $125k per year. And it’s even more than that considering those top players would absolutely get endorsement deals, as companies would probably sign them to long term deals hoping they land some elite sponsors on “cheap” deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

dawgs2014 likes this.
  9. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,217
    or it proves some of the top places pay more than the above market price ;) just couldn't help saying it lol

shoeevv and Hinkle like this.
  10. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,711
    This could prove to be a step in the right direction. Still the NBA needs to put an end to the one and done era.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  11. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,066
    Or that, lol. I do wonder if it will make that part worse. If you are a top 10 recruit who wants the money then why not see if a college will pay you $200k. If you get caught you can just go G League.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

estar20dawg likes this.
  12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,154
    This is only true only works if the players aren't getting anything under the table to go to college. As we've seen in the last year, many of the top recruits are.

If we could somehow ensure the only things players got from colleges were all of the permissible benefits, and they still chose that over the 125k + endorsements they could get from the G league, I agree it would really damage Bilas and others' arguments that many players are woefully underpaid. But the fact that 100k under the table + the permissible college benefits may add up to more than 125k + endorsements doesn't prove that.

Regarding the pay-the-players argument generally, it's tough. I definitely believe the vast majority of college basketball players and especially college athletes are fairly compensated. So it does seem silly to argue that we should turn the American athletics landscape upside down to benefit the few hundred athletes (out of tens or hundreds of thousands) who are being underpaid. The more sensible solution is exactly the one that's emerging: the market is providing alternative options for the relatively few who may be underpaid, rather than radically changing the current option that does exist and does work well for the vast majority.

13. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,154
    I find it amusing how adamant he is that this scandal is "just a blip" and "not what's really happening" when Zion had a cash offer from Kansas and yet still chose Duke. Just loved Duke that much? Get out of here. That's straight out of the Pitino Lie-Til-You-Die playbook.

14. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,554
    He's an arrogant "put on a pedestal" coach who learned from Bob Knight. Could we anticipate anything less?

15. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,830
    I bet Nike had nothing to do with Bagley going to Duke after sponsoring his dad's AAU team to the tune of $700,000.

16. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $415
    Not so fast my friend. I get the first half of this sentence but the second half has to be challenged. 2011 Drexel study while dated still sums it up well. http://assets.usw.org/ncpa/The-Price-of-Poverty-in-Big-Time-College-Sport.pdf

Strides have been made with the cost of attendance additions but I'm not convinced the 125k g league option squashes the myth of player exploitation. The fact you still can't use your likeness reeks of it. The fact they are not defined as employees and thus cannot unionize reeks of it. What about workers comp and 401ks? Unfair cap on wages? Or if you want to get real heavy then the apartheid it uses and reinforces (there's an interesting Michigan state paper which proposed this and the excellent HBCU article in Vice).

Definitely not convinced.

Btw, any one know cost of attendance figures for butler bball players?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $92
    I'm only going to speak to college basketball because college football is its own unique animal. They can use their likeness in the G-League now to garner endorsement deals outside of the salary they can generate in the league, so if the player believes he has that much value, then they absolutely have an alternative, and apparel companies can lock them into massive endorsement deals. There's now an alternate route (at least for basketball) for the top players each year. Giving them choices is what prevents them from being exploited. Before there wasn't a realistic alternative to this problem that the NBA created.

The Drexel study also is a massive oversimplification of a player's fair market value, as it doesn't factor in the boost they get from the school's brand, nor the free dollars in promotions they get by playing for certain schools. Guarantee that Kyrie Irving wouldn't get the boost in shoe or jersey sales that he gets if he went to Drexel vs. going to Duke.

18. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,066
    If athletes ever become defined as employees it will mark the end of a lot of lower level NCAA programs. The vast majority of NCAA sports teams lose money. Only the top programs for basketball and football are profitable. Unless those programs break off and form their own league and get to play by their own set of rules that don't apply to other sports, it isn't going to go very well. How many women's soccer teams will be able to afford offering their players worker's comp and 401ks? Is such a drastic overhaul really in the best interest of college athletes? I doubt the ones that lose their programs completely would think so.

The NCAA is, and pretty much always has been, the best available option for student athletes. Almost every single one of them would be worse off if the NCAA didn't exist. For basketball, there has been two other alternatives around (G League and Overseas), yet almost nobody ever chooses them. I've really just never understood how people can be so critical of the option that 99.99% of athletes decide is the best one available. Nobody is forcing these kids to go college. If it's so terrible, why do they continue to do it?

19. troggy

troggy Active Member

Money:
    $596
    Yes and this is very important. Almost every game major conference teams play is on TV now. Playing for someone like Duke carries huge promotional value. Even guys who don't go on to play professionally get a boost in their chosen career because people know who they are.

20. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Javin DeLaurier, Joey Baker, Jordan Goldwire, mike buckmire, Antonio Vrankovich, Justin Robinson, Jack White, Marques Bolden.

Can anybody name what those people have in common? They all play basketball for Duke, one of the most talented teams in history. Yet, we don’t know who they are.

But because they play basketball for duke they get to be celebrities for 4 years. They get paid to receive a $200,000+ education. They get one of the the best networking opportunities on the planet simply by existing. They travel weekly but not stand in a security line a single time in their 4 years of school. They’ll receive better food than the student body and as much as they want. They’ll completely outkick their coverage with girls. If they do care about their classes they’ll receive free tutors. And they’ll receive about $1,500 a month just to be there.

Now in the d league, no one will know who they are. Their travel schedule means waking up at 3 am the morning after a game to bus to an airport, they’ll battle airport terminals and commercial flights, delays, and cramped seating. They’ll play in empty gyms in places no one wants to go. If they struggle their support system is.....well it depends how good at basketball they are.

maybe 4-5 guys in the country are worthy of nba contracts but not able to earn them because of the rules. As I showed earlier, even the best teams have half at least half a roster that only generates revenue because of the name on the front of their jersey. Yet because the luxurious life offered to 99% of power conference athletes the NCAA is exploitative because those 4-5 players could *maybe* make more that one year?

It’s a nonsense argument.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

WestLoopDog likes this.