NBA to Offer Top Recruits $125k for G League

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by Jared Grubbs, Oct 18, 2018.

1. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $414
    Since I don't want to talk Butler basketball at the moment, we'll trudge this thread back up. Anyone read the book below? Am into it now and I can't see how we continue to believe in the NCAA nor the student athlete amateur concept.

Also, the argument isn't about the NCAA vs g-league or alternative pro leagues. It's about the NCAA still being designated as anything close to amateur sports and the revenue it generates from that. Full stop.

And I'll strongly disagree with Jared's comment regarding the myth that NCAA athletes are exploited. If the prologue of this book doesn't scream exploitation then I don't know what does.

And I feel that continued support of the NCAA will be on the wrong side of history. My position is quite clear but I'm happy to discuss and engage the issue. It's still in relative infancy but I think it will continue to get exposed and attract more attention.

As I asked earlier, anyone know of the cost of attendance figures for Butler men's basketball players?

Edit: can't seem to attach photo from mobile so book title is "Indentured: The battle to end the exploitation of college athletes" by Joe Nocera and Ben Strauss.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,301
    I haven't read the book, but I gave up on the myth of the student-athlete-as-amateur long ago and on any hope or expectation that the NCAA was motivated by anything other than money.

I really would like to see the American academy divorce itself from sports. I suppose that makes me a hypocrite for continuing to watch and enjoy college athletics, though I find myself watching and attending fewer games each year. I also know it will never happen. Schools are hooked on the marketing boost and the opportunities sports create for interaction with donors.

3. MasterSplinter

Money:
    $414
    Watch out! Joel Klatt talking sense. I realise Trevor Lawrence is the trigger but he's talking about college bball too. I sense the number of voices is growing. Maybe not the right ones just yet but the day will be here sooner than later.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. MasterSplinter

Money:
    $414
    another domino...