NCAA nixes Hinkle Fieldhouse as venue for Indiana All-Star game

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by NCJon, Nov 8, 2019.

1. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,132
    So the IHSAA needs a temporary home for the Indiana-Kentucky all star games while Bankers Life is getting renovated.

They reached out to Butler since Hinkle was the Indiana home court from 1940-1975, but the NCAA said it would be an unfair recruiting advantage. Is there zero common sense at NCAA headquarters?

Anyway, games will be at Southport HS.

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...nkers-life-fieldhouse-renovations/2533961001/

DawgPoundMac, Shimmy, UDDawg and 4 others like this.
  2. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,359
    NCAA strikes again, look at Kansas, Auburn Arizona, North Carolina, Memphis. Talk about unfair recruiting advantage!

3. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,158
    Broughton pointed out that 55 of the 56 boys and girls involved with the Indiana All-Stars last year were already committed to colleges by the time of the games, negating the perception of a recruiting advantage.”

The NCAA needs to spend more time shadowing Penny Hardaway and less worrying about the 2% chance that uncommitted prospect is wooed by the Hinkle magic.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

BUcheer likes this.
  4. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $747
  5. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,792
    Yes, Hinkle, there is ZERO common sense at the NCAA.

In Illinois, the HS State football tournament is played at U of I or Northern Illinois (alternate years). The HS Basketball tournament is played on the home court of the Bradley Braves.

Those kids that play in the IN-KY all star games already have picked their college, and have already probably attended games at Hinkle. This is just stupidity on the NCAA part.

Tentozen likes this.
  6. NCJon

Money:
    $6,132
    It's nuts. College arenas are used for high school championship games all the time. In this part of the world, football and basketball happen at NC State and UNC with each campus hosting some classes one year and the other classes the next.

Virginia's high school championship in basketball is at VCU. Maryland's is at UMD.

I guess this is different because of when the game happens, but it's still ridiculous.

7. ButlerHomer

ButlerHomer Active Member

Money:
    $383
    That is the dumbest thing ever. Even if it was an advantage, and why would it be, every player is a senior and any D1 talent will be committed by then. This makes no sense. Would a Wisconsin All-Star game played at the Bucks arena be unfair because Marquette plays there?

The NCAA tops itself every day.

8. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,915
    Isn't the Kentucky game hosted by Bellarmine who is going Division I next season ? Why is that okay ?

9. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Active Member

Money:
    $260
    I am not supportive of the NCAA's decision, but I think the line separates state tournament events, because it isn't directed at a selected group - rather a win to get there, so equal chance for each player in the state. When you hand pick the group, it could be thought that the selection is to support the site school. Just my 2 cents.

10. NCJon

Money:
    $6,132
    So Southport just got banned from this year's IHSAA tournament after the coach paid tuition on behalf of a newly enrolled foreign player. That investigation had to be underway when this deal to host the All-Star games was being worked out.

Makes me wonder if that wasn't part of the reason they offered their gym rent free.

11. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,470
    Apparently the difference is that the all star game is not an IHSAA sanctioned event. While I understand how the decision seems silly, the NCAA tries their best to make these things black and white to avoid any gray area on what is or isn’t allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,792
    Unless it involves inappropriate conduct for a player or coach that doesn't make the NCAA have a black eye.

Sorry I sound jaded...but NCAA is all about NCAA and not about what's best for the student-athletes.

13. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,305
    My understanding is that if a 3rd party—in this case the IBCA—offered some type of “educational” presentation for the teams as a part of sponsoring these games they can be approved at a college site. At least that used to be the case a few years back.