New Big East

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by BUCovington93, Dec 17, 2012.

1. BUCovington93

BUCovington93 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Which matchups excite you most about the new conference that will soon be announced? (Georgetown, Marquette, DePaul, Seton Hall, Providence, St. John's, Villanova, Butler, Xavier, St. Louis)

2. brebeufbrave06

brebeufbrave06 Member

Money:
    $8
    RE: Catholic 7 +3

In order:

1. Xavier
    2. Georgetown
    3. Marquette
    4. Villanova
    5. St. John's
    6. Everyone else

3. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Active Member

Money:
    $299

Georgetown hands down. They are a great program and one team I have always enjoyed watching as they are pretty similar to BU (tough, disciplined, well coached, etc.). Marquette has me excited as well as they have a great program. Hoping Nova can turn it around...last couple years they have been down. St John's could be fun if they keep playing at MSG but who knows if they will continue doing that with this conference move. Every one (Prov, SH, Depaul) else= meh.

Will be a dogfight for the top spots in the conference. G-town, Marq, X, BU should routinely be teams to beat. Gotta bring it every night...even with the bottom-tiered teams.

Will be interesting to see how this affects recruiting. This would have to help immensely in the short-term with recruits like Hall and Bluiett and it will be interesting to see if they start going after more 4 (and occasionly 5) stars.

Excited about the future, that's for sure!

4. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,182

Last I heard, Creighton is more likely to get the early invite before St. Louis.

If/when the look to expand to 12 teams, they'll look at St. Louis, Dayton, VCU and Temple.

5. tkdawg10

tkdawg10 Member

Money:
    $6

doubt Temple will be involved, they have D1 football.

6. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $295

I doubt that there is any intention to move to 12. The preference is universally 10 (or even 9). Its less mouths to feed and there is a true round robin. I would've picked Creighton, as well, but whatever.

7. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $728

How awesome is it that we will soon have Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova, St. John's, and Xavier at Hinkle every year?

This program has come a long, long way in the last 15 years.

8. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $798

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/ncbexperts/id/8758285/bracket-concerns-former-big-east-schools-college-basketball

9. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,837

This conference needs Butler and Xavier and another strong basketball school.

10. I Am Butler

Money:
    $4,182

Care to summarize?

11. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,310

I don't know where I'd put this: http://www.buzzfeed.com/ktlincoln/butler-university-is-super-arrogant-about-their-ba

12. BUCovington93

BUCovington93 New Member

Money:
    $5

Personally having Georgetown and Xavier visit Hinkle on Saturday afternoons with the sun shining in will be amazing.

13. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,078

Basically says the Catholic 7 aren't really that good on their own, and even if they add 3 other basketball schools they still aren't a conference that can put half of the members in the dance. He thinks the conference needs to expand to 12 or 14.

14. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $295

In summary, Lunardi is still an idiot.

(that 10 team league is going to do 4-6 per year)

Its also a little funny that he tried to sneak in the St Joes thing. St Joes isn't being considered and for good reason, Villanova is already in that market. Joe Lunardi is a St Josephs alumnus and has done color commentary for them for almost 20 years.

15. I Am Butler

Money:
    $4,182

You will easily have years with 5 teams at the dance.

Not hard to imagine years where you see Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, Xavier and Butler all dancing.

16. bujet15

bujet15 New Member

Money:
    $5

same reason I don't see Dayton being added.

17. hoops34

hoops34 New Member

Money:
    $5

Wow, what a great opportunity got Butler! This is a very exciting league, love to see Butler Georgetown, Marquette games.

Big time!

18. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Active Member

Money:
    $299

I know the Big East has a lot of things on their plate but does anyone have an idea when a possible announcement could come?

19. I Am Butler

Money:
    $4,182

A lot will hinge on the catholic 7 negotiating any early exit. As of now, they can't officially leave until June 2015. That said, with strength of numbers, they shouldn't have a hard time leaving early.

I'd expect the first year for the new league would be '14/'15.

As fort the timeline for announcements of who is officially joining the "Catholic 7", that depends on a number of things I (probobly most people) have no idea how to predict.

We have nothing to worry about though. Just sit back and enjoy it as the saga unfolds.

20. I Am Butler

Money:
    $4,182

@McMurphyESPN: Big East open to let Catholic 7 leave in 2014 & ECU likely to become all-sports member Aresco tells Wash Post

Like I said, my guess is the first season will be '14/'15.