New Big East

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by BUCovington93, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $294
    Trevon Bluiett is wholly irrelevant to people's opinion on Brandon Miller's qualifications to run a high major program. All of this has been out there since before interviews were even done.

On the other, we'll see after a couple seasons with win counts in the low-teens how much faith is there. But frankly you may be right, this could ultimately end up in not only a new basketball staff if things go entirely sideways; but, several layers on Butler administration.

Anyway, wasn't commenting either way, just correcting that this has anything to do with losing any recruit.

2. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,507
    About 10 years ago when Miller was running BU on the court, in case you forgot, half of the coaches in the country were looking for a "Miller clone" to run their teams because he was smart, tough, could shoot and made other players better. He took a pretty good but not great Butler team to the Sweet 16. Even Slick Rick Pitino was double teaming Miller at times in that Louisville game . Just about everyone around BU, including most alums, couldn't wait to have Miller coach this team at some point. The guy is really basketball smart. I have no doubt Miller is going to be a great coach. Not a shock that he's going to have some initial issues on the recruiting front until he and his staff gets established. Before we canonize Stevens, let's don't forget he left Miller with a lot of "misses" sitting there on the bench. There was no guarantee that Blueitt would have come to Butler even if Stevens remained. Liked Stevens a lot, but he was no great recruiter. Agree with BUCheer, back off Miller. I'll take him in the long run, even over Stevens. Wait and see. I'd like to have Blueitt, but if not, it ain't the end of the world. Going to X isn't a mistake, but IMO, it wouldn't be his optimal choice. Frankly, I'd take a PG like Miller (well, a little more athletic, but just as basketball smart) right now who is going to make these other guys better. Love to have Blueitt, but that PG position also STILL needs to be filled.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  3. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,229

4. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $294
    You are just naive if you do not think sentiment influences. (ie sentiment = those people you are calling every evening asking for donations) Its going to be pretty uncomfortable shortly, that sort of environment tends to sort itself out. Like I said, wait a couple of years and see where you are at. You aren't exactly saying anything about anything by saying they have "faith" in someone they just hired. If they didn't what would THAT say? And I don't know how much clearer in my implication that those in your "et al" are going to end up feeling it too. NO ONE is saying anything should or will be done today. Got it, OK

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  5. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Got a quick question, then you all can get back to your fire BMill talk....pardon the interruption.

https://twitter.com/InsideBBRecruit

Anyone have any insight as to who this is? I am seeing this twitter account more and more in recruiting news. The IU banner red flags it for me very quickly, but just wanted to see if anyone knew who this was and the cred of this account. This account is reporting alot of Bluiett news with the infamous "according to a source" attached to the tweet.

6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,830
    hoya1987- since this website is about Butler and you said this is your last post on defending Georgetown and JT2 I will send a comment back via a private message.

7. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    No idea who that is. My guess is they are a young kid (HS or college) as judging by their bio. They seem to be just regurgitating info right now - I highly doubt it's anyone influential.

8. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    What are you referring to when you say "lack of qualifications"? IMO Brandon Miller was/is quite qualified to be a Butler basketball head coach. Pretty sure he just landed a 4 star Top 100 recruit too.

9. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,229
    Of course sentiment influences, it's just not going to influence until reasonable people allow it to based on reasonable expectations. I see a lot of unreasonable, premature expectations being placed by a vocal minority. And while no one has asked for action today, the narrative is "this experiment is going to fail and fail badly and it needs to get cleaned up soon". I'm just pointing out that despite saying it over and over and over and over and over and over again, nothing is happening until they think Brandon has been given a reasonable opportunity.

BTW, the major donors to the program are completely on board and have full faith in those calling the shots.

10. Robwallssneakers

Robwallssneakers Member

Money:
    $9
    While it would be upsetting if Trevon picks XU over Butler I don't think we should be demanding Miller's resignation just yet. Fact is Brad had plenty of time to close the deal with Trevon and was never able to get a commit so why should we expect B Mil to come in and pick up the pieces and start closing these guys in a few short months.

Recruiting is moving in the right direction albeit at a slower pace than any of us anxious fans want to accept. Let's give Miller more than 3/4 short months to see if he can land one of the bigger fish.

11. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    I don't think Title would know anything about that LOL.

12. Nildogg

Nildogg Active Member

Money:
    $8,574
    I seriously doubt that many of the talking heads here calling for his job give anything to speak of.

13. ButlerHomer

ButlerHomer Active Member

Money:
    $305
    They can't be losing it if they never had it.

14. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    I get all that. What you still can't seem to understand is he is qualified to be the Butler head coach - that's all that matters.

As I'm sure we're all well aware of, Butler doesn't operate like most programs. Collier, Matta, Lickliter, and Stevens wouldn't have been "qualified" either. They all turned out OK.

We've been over all this a million f'ing times. Everyone understands you think Miller was the wrong hire. What purpose does repeating it ad nauseam serve? Just let it go man. Enjoy the upcoming season, and if Butler sucks in a few years you can come back and rub it in all our faces.

15. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,984
    Took the words out of my mouth (well, keyboard), Enforcer. Butler is not a "normal" program. You dance with who/what brung ya, and Butler's strategy--both in game and the way they run their program--got them into the Big East. No question. If they just get their brains beat in in-conference for the next couple years, then yeah, those would be grounds for introspection and to look into how the program is run.

16. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,170
    Keep in mind I like Coach Miller and I support him a Butlers choice, but what exactly does that mean? Just because he was selected doesn't mean he is necessarily qualified. There are unqualified hires all the time (none that I can think in this type of position) that are made based on gut instincts. Some work out and some don't. I hope and believe Miller will pan out. He was very highly regarded prior to his absence and I think he will be a significant better recruiter than Stevens when all is said and done.

However, I completely agree with pf1 that his hire is quite unique and he has significantly less experience than any major college coach I can ever remember being hired.

17. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,830
    The NCAA approved Georgetown transfer Josh Smith immediate eligibility for the next two years. At 6'10" and 350 pounds that is like getting two players. It will be interesting watching Kam and Josh guarding each other.

18. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Shane McCarthy‏@ShaneInROC1h
    KenPom 2014 preseason rankings have been released. The #BigEast is the 2nd ranked conference behind the Big 10

19. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Yo Butler Way! Can we just hit the delete button on this whole damn thread? :)

It was a waste of 3 months.

20. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Make that like 6 months. Some of the most mind numbing posts are in July after Brad leaves. If you Butler backers want a good laugh go back and re-read this whole thread from start to finish. It's better with a Rum and Coke in hand as the laughs are more frequent.

I don't how many times some of us tried to tell people that the current Butler squad had talent. Any coach in the country would take Dunham/Woods and Marshall. We have ballers people.