Next Season Will Be A Success If ________

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Jul 16, 2021.

1. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $727
    Simple question for the board on this Friday afternoon:

Next season will be a success if _________________ happens

Here are my thoughts: Next season will be a success if we finish in the Top 5 of the Big East, and make the NCAA Tournament.

Year 5 of the LaVall era comes with an incredibly unique roster. Lots and lots of experience, and also some young talent. If utilized properly, I think there is enough there to make the field of 68, and finish 5th or better in the Big East.

Anything short of that, I would consider a failure. I wouldn't call for LaVall to be fired, but year 6 would absolutely be make or break. In year 5, there's been plenty of time to recruit and acquire the talent to fit your coaching style. It is very important that we reestablish ourselves as a consistent tournament team. If we fail to make the tourney, it'd be 2 straight seasons, and 3 of 4 if we count the COVID season - which does not meet what I believe the expectation should be for the program.

Excited to see how it plays out this season, and curious to see what you all think.

HoosierDawg, Shimmy and dawgs2014 like this.
  2. tedfrye

tedfrye Active Member

Money:
    $369
  3. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member

Money:
    $624
    Next season will be a success if we finish in the Top 4 of the Big East, and make the 2nd weekend of the NCAA Tournament

A lot of teams are going to bring back mature players, but Butler leads the pack. Most will say, "But if the upperclassmen talent wasn't good enough last year, why would it be better this year."
    1. I'm hoping for the BYU (football) effect. When BYU was rolling, the AVG age of their 0-line was around 35. Joking, but due to missions, they were men. Seldom did a BYU 0-lineman turn their man dominance into NFL dominance. They were just wiser and more mature and that counts for a lot.
    I think this team is going to grind opponents into the ground. They have fouls to give up the wazoo. This year will not be pretty, but it will be effective.

Why am I bullish? If Bo and Jair will be our 3rd and 4th scoring options, that is a good thing. They might not even be that high. We have shooters and playmakers to carve up the D and free up the open shooters which we lacked last year. And going back to my 1st reasoning, having the maturing and familiarity on the court is going to be worth a lot.

Shimmy, #60, ButlerProf and 1 other person like this.
  4. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,523
    I'll break my thoughts into 3 tiers

Successful - top 3 BEast and Top 20 Nationally

Decent - mid-pack BEast and solid Tournament team with additional signs of Player Development.

Not Good - Anything less than decent.

One of the hallmarks of Butler and this staff is player development. I think the jury is still out on this. Last year has to be thrown out and probably still creates a negative recency bias even when you try to keep it from doing so. With that said, i think the development story still sits undecided. This year will go a long way in telling us if we have what we believe is a strength, or not. I also expect to see improved in game coaching and player situational awareness. If we allow an opponent to roll the ball up the floor, again, allowing the game clock to run down beneath the shot clock, I may lose my mind.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Shimmy, znelson15, #60 and 1 other person like this.
  5. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $429
    Fun conversation. Rebounding from 10-15, …Next season will be a success if:
    A. Beat Michigan St
    B. Beat Oklahoma
    1. Top 4-5 regular season Big East
    2. Win all but 1, maybe 2 Big East home games
    3. Win 50% Big East road games
    4. Win 2 Big East tourney games; depending on regular season & seeding this could be semis
    5. NCAA bid; Sweet Sixteen, win 2 rounds
    Maybe this is all hopes & dreams. Would be awesome though, especially coming off 10-15 last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,420
    Sorry - but as a professor, how do you go listing by letters to numbers? I feel that was a joke in a movie somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

ButlerNut and 2xDawg like this.
  7. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $429
    Ha, fair! Letters: preseason notes. Numbers: BE regular & post season notes

2xDawg likes this.
  8. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,443
    If we make the round of 32 in the ncaa tourney.

This has to happen on my kind with the upperclassmen returning.

I do worry about bolden starting (I think hundred he needs to come off the bench), Thompson needs to stay healthy and aggressive, and Golden needs to play sparingly if he seems like he is off.

Play our depth as much as possible

9. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Active Member

Money:
    $373
    I've mentioned this before in the past in another thread- This year is definitely the time to learn what LaVall has in mind as far as both style of play and personnel. He's never quite had an experienced roster with this much versatility before, so he should finally be able to put his vision in motion, but now with that comes the realization that he no longer has anymore excuses if they under perform. I've defended LaVall in the past, believing that what he needed most was his type of guys to make the scheme work, and I believe it can bring results this year.... But there is a part of me that's worried we could find out that it's a formula that won't bring the consistent success we're accustom to. It's fine to continue learning on the job, but he does need to show that his stuff works on the court now.

10. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,316
    Bare minimum numbers for me to consider the upcoming season a success: Butler goes 8-3 in non-conf games, 11-9 in BE, wins 1 game in BE tourney, & wins 1 game in NCAA tourney. This would leave them finishing 21-14 with a very similar season to Coach Jordan’s first year as HC.

BoyGeoff, 2xDawg, Shimmy and 2 others like this.
  11. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,806
    1. If Bo turns out to be the player we all expected him to be.
    2. Everyone stays healthy.
    3. Harris continues his second half of the season play.
    4. Nze can knock down an open three.
    5. Groce.
    6. Good coaching.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think if this team plays well it has final four potential. We need a 2+2 = 5 situation though. The team has to play better than the sum of the individual parts.

TheDawgDub95 and 2xDawg like this.
  12. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,358
  13. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,425
    Successful: Bryce bros being more consistent and steady with the rock. A true scorer to emerges (Scooby, Groce, Bo, Taylor, Chuck, etc.). Somebody that’ll get you 15+ every night. 4/5/6 in conference, BE tourney win, Round of 32

Best case scenario: 2/3 in conference, 2-3 BE Tourney wins, second weekend NCAAT

Purdue usually struggles to get it going- would be nice to clip them early. Man, they’re loaded with a Top 20 coach.

ButlerProf likes this.
  14. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,369
    Hard to imagine another season like last. It's reasonable to forecast some degree of improvement but to what extent. Team chemistry and leadership will determine whether any lofty goals can be reached. There is certainly no shortage of experience and merging young talent.

NCJon, LeeBU1984, 2xDawg and 3 others like this.
  15. seadawg

Money:
    $9,369
    Not to dampen enthusiasm, but there are still some glaring unknowns concerning the upcoming season. Namely shooting, size, and athleticism, all of which are key elements to compete on the national stage.

znelson15 likes this.
  16. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,316
    I liked your previous post better.

17. seadawg

Money:
    $9,369
    I did too, but these variables do exist. The team should be much improved overall. If the team lack these components they would need to overcompensate in other areas, but it's been done before.

18. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,523
    I don't think you can be a team that prides itself on player development and have ,maybe, the most experienced team ever and get a pass for a year that isn't good or better...

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,806
    Another factor that I think a lot of people don't think about is Myles Wilmoth. He might have the most potential of any player on this team and he's finally getting his first offseason in. If he can develop into a defensive nightmare and a stretch 4/5 then look out.

I know we are missing a conventional seven foot rim protector, but if you can put AT, Bo, Groce (or Scooby), Nze, and Wilmoth all on the floor together then you can defend the pick and roll with ease.

I will add that Scooby is the other biggest question mark on this team. If Bo, Myles, and Scooby all are what we expected them to be then I think the sky is the limit for this group.

20. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,443
    Shooting and athleticism still scare me big time for the year to be successfully, so I agree