Next Season Will Be A Success If ________

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Jul 16, 2021.

1. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,889
    Clarification…do both have to happen?

What if team finishes 6th in BE and makes tournament?

Is that a failed season?

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,485
    Idc how many non-conference wins we get, what position we finish in the Big East, how we do in the Big East tournament, or really how far we advance in the Tournament. All I care about is that we make the Tournament (it’s all based on matchups and some luck). At this point, I’m kinda done w excuses. Injuries and COVID aren’t exclusive to just Butler. There’s no more Holtmann recruiting classes to blame. There’s more than plenty of player experience on the team. The “well the Head Coach is still learning” excuse was bs to begin with. It’s time for the coaches and players to step up.

I didn’t put getting your degree bc I hope everyone would see that as a mandatory deal breaker to representing Butler

ButlerNut, dawgs2014 and willisbrown like this.
  3. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,756
    Okay guys, how we doing so far on our goals?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

znelson15 and Tentozen like this.
  4. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $665
    This thread is the perfect abstract for the FAQ ‘What is the site all about?’

5. schoops

schoops Well-Known Member

Money:
    $622
    I miss the blissful optimism of mid-summer.

Tentozen likes this.
  6. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,803
    I think the ‘LaVall’s last season’ thread is as close as you’ll get right now.

NCJon and schoops like this.
  7. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,574
    Oh reading back on this is great!!!!

Thanks for bringing the thread back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. Cranjis McBasketball

Money:
    $2,756
    In a few games I’ll bring up the thread where we thought Creighton would be 2nd worst next to DePaul since they lost all 5 starters and 85% of their scoring in the off-season… sigh

Tentozen, znelson15 and NCJon like this.
  9. Cranjis McBasketball

Money:
    $2,756
    Seadawg gets kudos for his accurate, albeit pessimistic, expectation.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  10. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,800
    Yeah, Creighton is the biggest surprise of this Big East season so far.

11. Cranjis McBasketball

Money:
    $2,756
    Now that the season is officially over. This is the final bump on this thread to bring it out of the depths one last time. It's definitely worth a quick read from the beginning to see how this season went in respect to expectations. I will be starting a new thread with some quotes in a few moments.

12. Cranjis McBasketball

Money:
    $2,756
    Before the season really starts going. I thought I would bump this thread back up so maybe we can get some more freezing cold takes next spring (looking at those who were expecting butler to be a March madness team last year including me).

I think the season will be a success with 20 wins. That keeps us near a bubble. Obviously I would LOVE to be a tourney team and I think that would be the benchmark if we had a fully healthy roster from the gate. (Thomas, Ali, Wilmoth are arguably starter material on most teams). I think being in top 6 at the end of BE would be a success too which you would assume would get us into tourney as long as we don’t lay many eggs in the non-con.

tcdtcd and Tentozen like this.
  13. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,803
    I defended LaVall for pretty much the whole off-season until they lost to Texas A&M, I'll take the next cold take. :)

Assuming success is making the Tourney, I'll say it's a success if:

1. They leave the Bahamas with at least 2 wins and can avoid any bad losses before they begin Big East play. We are going to learn something about this team come Monday, but like others have said the Battle for Atlantis will show us what kind of resolve they have. 2 wins would be acceptable, but if they find a way to beat Tennessee then that should be the marquee win that makes everything else easier.
    2. They play .500 against the Big East. I don't believe Butler is finishing near the bottom, but I do expect the league to be tough this year, and that should work in Butler's favor....assuming they don't roll over against the likes of Georgetown and DePaul.
    3. Manny Bates avoids any serious injury I know injuries have been an ongoing issue, but we cannot afford to have Bates be out for any extended period of time , not with Thomas and Wilmoth's health in question and no one else with legitimate size to take their place.
    I'm prepared to see some growing pains, but I believe Butler will get better as the season goes and they will find a way to, at the very least, stay on the bubble.

Cranjis McBasketball likes this.
  14. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,414
    Here's what I think makes this year a success:

IF we stay healthy, and IF we have all players academically eligible, we enter the month of March still in consideration for the tournament. Being on the bubble down the stretch alone will provide us with more excitement than we've had in a while.

I think that there's a much wider range of possibilities that could play out with the pieces on this team, compared to previous years. The ceiling is much higher than it has been. But if we can make the tournament in some way shape or form in Year 1 (part 2) of the Thad Era, I'll call it a great success.

15. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,621
    I'd like for them to show effort and be competitive in every game...that would be a success. Unlike most years, I'm not too concerned with wins and losses, I just want to be able to say after this season that this team is on the verge of something special.

I'd love to see them be on the bubble and then maybe win the NIT? I do think that this team needs to re-learn how to win and how to play being the favorite. Some pieces will help with that (Hunter), but a lot of the young pups have known nothing but pain since coming to Butler...time to change the whole mindset.

2xDawg, BUcheer and Gregory Roach like this.
  16. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $10,204
    While it's entirely too early to make a summation on the success of the season, there is little question that this team is improved over last couple of years. Still, TM is not a miracle worker and this team up to this point has a glaring weakness, namely outside shooting. Expectations probably need moderation. Perhaps Ali can change that, but inconsistency may be the norm going forward, with regards to shooting. That flaw will show its' evil head from time to time throughout the season. Let's hope it's less than more...