Next Season

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BulldogsAllTheWay, Mar 20, 2016.

1. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $685
    Predictions? Expectations?

What's the rotation going to be?

Lewis/Washington
    Savage/Baldwin
    Martin/Baddley
    Chrabs/Davis
    Wideman/Brunk

Who really knows? But I'm already excited. The key will be if how ready are the freshmen. If we can get significant contributions from the young pups, I think we can be good enough to dance.

2. thespianrunner

thespianrunner Member

Money:
    $83
    Yeah, wanting to know from those more in the know what the expectations would be for next season? I feel like to be the program we want to be (consistent top 20/25 team), you can't have seasons where you miss the tourney.

IMO, Martin needs to become a superstar, a potential BE POY type guy. Lewis has to become a leader and a true PG. Chrabs has to consistently play close to what he did against VA. Wideman needs to establish himself as the GUY in the middle. The rest is totally up in the air.

Do the frosh show up ready to contribute day one?
    Do we get a grad transfer that makes an immediate impact?
    Is anybody leaving - Davis?

3. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,240
    "Recruit and return: Butler must replace key pieces
    Adam Finkelstein

We continue our recruit and return series with the Butler Bulldogs, whose season ended Saturday with a 77-69 loss to Virginia in the second round. A look at what the 2016-17 season could hold:
    Possible 2016-17 starting five (statistics reflect regular season average)

G: Tyler Lewis (6.2 PPG, 3.0 APG)

G: Kethan Savage (transfer from George Washington)

G: Kelan Martin (16.1 PPG, 6.8 RPG)

F: Andrew Chrabascz (10.1 PPG, 4.2 RPG)

C: Tyler Wideman (7.7 PPG, 5.7 RPG)

Who is lost: Kellen Dunham, Roosevelt Jones and Austin Etherington are all gone from this season's lineup. Dunham is a two-time All-Big East selection who led the conference in 3-point shooting and was sixth in points per game this season. He has been a major offensive weapon for the Bulldogs for the last few years and the type of guy who you can run plays for in the half court. More than that though, he was also known for being a great teammate and consummate program-first type of player. The loss of Jones is no less substantial. He too played a major leadership role on this team as a fifth-year senior, but his versatility was virtually unmatched. A second-team All-Big East performer, he finished among the top 15 ranked Big East players in seven different categories. He was Butler's third-leading scorer at over 14 points per game, led the team in assists at just under five per game and also was second in rebounding at just under seven per game. Combine that with his ability to play multiple positions on both ends of the floor and Butler isn't likely to find any one player capable of plugging as many holes as Jones. Etherington, a second-year transfer from Indiana, provided consistent rotation minutes and a quality 3-point shooter at the forward positions off the bench.

Who is added: Butler welcomes a four-player recruiting class that might not have an ESPN 100 product but does feature balance, depth and a pair of four-star prospects who will both be capable of playing consistent rotation minutes as freshmen. Six-foot-10 big man Joey Brunk will have the luxury of learning behind Chrabascz and Wideman as a freshman but should gradually be the type of player who can develop into a signature piece as an upperclassman. Howard Washington is a versatile guard who is as skilled as he is cerebral and also uniquely experienced. He might have the most immediate opportunity next season and could be capable of playing both on and off the ball. Scoring guard Kamar Baldwin and athletic swingman Henry Baddley could also challenge for playing time on the perimeter as well. The Bulldogs' most notable addition will come via the transfer market as Savage will become eligible after sitting out this season. The former George Washington guard was a stat-stuffer in the Atlantic 10, starting 25 games and averaging almost 12 points and five rebounds. Sean McDermott, a big 6-6 wing, could also contend for a spot in the rotation after redshirting this year as a freshman.

What it means for next season: Butler was a team that was in many ways led by a big three of sorts this season in Dunham, Jones and Martin. With Dunham and Jones both leaving, Martin will be asked to build off his sophomore season and take over as the team's primary offensive threat as a junior. A second-team All-Big East selection, he led the team in both scoring and rebounding during conference play and now will need to do it as the primary focus of opposing scouting reports on a nightly basis. That won't be the only change for the Bulldogs next season. They'll go from a team that carried the majority of their firepower on the perimeter, albeit big and versatile guards, to one that will now be far more experienced on the interior with the return of Chrabascz and Wideman to the starting lineup. Lewis will need to step up and provide stability at the point guard position, and Savage will also be relied on to step right in and make an immediate contribution as another probable starter in the backcourt. The team's depth will fall, in large part, upon the four-man freshman class, as there will undoubtedly be minutes available to earn.

Trending: Level. There are major changes in store for Butler next season, but coach Chris Holtmann still returns his starting frontcourt and one of the better players in the conference in Martin. If he can get consistent play from his backcourt, the Bulldogs are again likely to find themselves in the middle of the conference and contending for a spot in the NCAA tournament."

-http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/on-the-trail/insider/post?id=15200

4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,728
    I think it's hard to knee jerk a rotation right now because I think we may see some changes (as in additions and subtractions) here soon. I'm not predicting it, so, no one lose their **** unnecessarily...I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if any of the following are bye bye-Lewis, McDermott, Davis.

In the same breath, I wouldn't be surprised if a juco or grad add was made, or if Gordon signs with Butler. All that combined I think it's tough to predict a full rotation just yet. I am most interested in a three things-the two new guards...can they have a big impact and will Washington be the PG? How does Brunk move from HS badass into Big East and big time competition? How does Fowler develop and can he give 8-10 minutes at the 5 in big time games?

5. TheOnlyNameLeft

TheOnlyNameLeft Active Member

Money:
    $246
    I'm really confused as to why Jackson Davis didn't get more play. Especially in the early season blow outs. If the Dawgs want to play deep into March they're going to need both good play from the bench and height.

6. Blue three

Blue three Active Member

Money:
    $64
    I think there's a really good chance Davis and the team will part ways. In fact I'd say 50% chance or more. To be honest I'm completely fine with it.

7. Clevedog

Clevedog Active Member

Money:
    $284
    If Lewis and Davis do transfer, what type of schools would they be headed to? Are talking Division 1, perhaps Horizon League type? They may not have gotten the playing time they wanted, but they probably did not earn it or Coach Holtman would have given them the time. I always wanted to see more of Tyler Lewis, especially after all the preseason hype he received on this board. I never saw Davis in practice or High School, but what playing time I did see from him was not all that impressive. I am not being negative, I just wonder where they would transfer where they could start?

8. bu1973

bu1973 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $537
    One of the things to really keep an eye on in looking at next year is who is back from some of our Big East rivals. Will Ellenson, Dunn, Bentil and Whitehead move to the NBA? That will have a dramatic effect on our prospects for next year. I would hate to lose Davis but with Brunk in, I don't know there are enough minutes in the front court for both Davis and Fowler to develop and be happy.

9. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,728
    Davis-low major. His athleticism would shine there and the lights wouldn't be too bright. He could work on his game without all the quick hooks, mistakes against top notch competition, slower paced game etc. I think he could really shine in that type of environment.

I do think Lewis could help someone, just not us in the Big East. His size just limits him so much and the guards, mostly, in the big east are so big, quick, strong...it just kills his game. I think something like the MVC or A-10 would be good for him. Still good competition, but nothing like the Big East.

10. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
    I'd be surprised if Lewis transferred. He's going to be our starting PG next year, barring us landing a grad transfer PG. So why would he leave?

Now there's always the chance of landing one of these great white buffaloes, but high-major, starter-quality PG grad transfers don't just grow on trees. There's only a couple each year, and it's usually a streetfight to land one of them.

11. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,728
    I surely don't disagree with your point. BUT, Lewis isn't that. There's a reason he mostly ate pine during the big east season and tournament. If he is our starting PG next season, I think we'll be ok at times, but will be pretty bad in the Big East. I shouldn't say pretty bad, but maybe 7-11 or 8-10.

12. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,650
    Lewis isn't going to transfer. I thought Davis might earlier this year but I'd be surprised if he left as well. If he puts the time and effort in the off season he has the potential to play significant minutes next year. He is the most athletic and coordinated of our bigs.

13. HoosierDawg

HoosierDawg Member

Money:
    $50
    First of all, I've never seen anything that would lead me to believe Tyler Lewis wants to transfer. Secondly, it's not an option for him regardless. A player has 5 years to use 4 years of playing eligibility. 2 years @ NC State, 1 year sitting out @ BU, 1 year playing @ BU. ONLY playing option is next season @ BU.

14. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    I certainly hope Lewis doesn't leave. I was disappointed that he didn't have a better year but I still have a little hope his shot will show up and make him dangerous and even if it doesn't I still have a hard time imagining we could find 2 better PGs than him. Even if backup PG is all his role is it's still a role we need.

As for Davis, I'd personally like for him to stick around. I'm not convinced he will ever figure it out, but I would like to see it through. He's a perfect fit in this lineup if he does. Lots of players don't see significant playing time until they are juniors. Davis was actually starting to see more time a few months back until Etherington took off and pushed Davis to the bench. He's also appeared to have been a great teammate and is always the first guy off the bench cheering the team on.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

15. Bulldawg

Bulldawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $590
    Lewis isn't transferring. He's going to start next year on a BE team and without Rose I think we might see a change in how he plays. I think if Jackson stays we could see him become a late bloomer like Bradley Hayes at gtown this year.

If I had to guess on a BE record I'd say 7-11 and 3 nonconference losses. NIT most likely.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Butler Hoops mobile app

16. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    He could be a graduate transfer and not have to sit out a year. I'm assuming he's done enough in 4 years to graduate. I would be stunned if he actually leaves though.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
    If he graduates in May from Butler, then he could transfer and play immediately at another school so long as he enrolls in a grad program at the new school. Now, I won't pretend to know how many credit hours Tyler Lewis has accumulated, but either way I don't think it matters. I think he will see his opportunity to win a starting PG spot for Butler and be up for the challenge.

18. HoosierDawg

HoosierDawg Member

Money:
    $50
    I just read in indystar that Howard Washington is now considering prep school next year. That's bad on 2 counts-1) that would seem to indicate that someone (BU coaches?) thinks he's not yet ready for D1, and 2) leaves us very thin at guard again next year. Really need another guard on the roster who can contribute. No idea who that might be unless it's Eron Gordon.

19. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $685
    I'm with you. I don't know if fans are more impatient these days or if people have always expected players to significantly contribute through two years. Either way, Davis' career is only half over. There are dozens of Butler players over the years who given nothing through their first two years only to be huge in their junior and senior seasons. Lightfoot anybody? Will Davis be that guy? I don't have the slightest clue, but I'm not going to give up on him. I think he has the ability and it'd be nice to have some front court depth for once. If the band can stay together Fowler, Brunk, Wideman, and Davis should be pretty formidable in two years.

20. HoosierDawg

HoosierDawg Member

Money:
    $50
    Yup-good point, C-ville and Jared. I forgot about that possibility.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016