Next Season

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BulldogsAllTheWay, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $72
  2. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,493
    Wouldn't it be pleasant surprise if it turns out Bede might have had to come off the bench for his first three years until after Baldwin graduated. At around 6 foot plus and averaging nearly a point a minute in top class high school games takes some serious skills and athleticism. Fingers crossed he solves the PG need, both short and long term.

3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,049
  4. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,784
    Well...I'm not convinced they're a Top 37 team frankly...

#60 Active Member

Money:
    $1,242
    If your caveat is "I'm waiting to see if we live up to our internal/message board projections," then that's a fair statement. ESPN & others seem to be taking the same approach.

Other prognosticators--with varying degrees of reliability--believe it's more likely that transfer players such as Savage, Woodson & Lewis (in a kinda "bounce back" way) will live up to the team's needs/demands.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-ridiculously-early-preseason-top-25-and-one/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...016-17-super-early-top-25-experts-poll/page/8

Given that this season's transfers are upperclassmen, I think they'll quickly gel & play to their potential. (Not throwing stones, but--with concerns stated in other postings in mind--TLew is my biggest question mark in this regard.) Savage says his shoulder is 100% & he's spent more than a year in BU's system. After shaking off rust, I think he'll be more than fine. Woodson has a serious desire to dance in March & says he's a more complete player now. Plus, he's a grown man. It's unlikely that he'll be making "freshmen mistakes" on the court for us. I think he'll play with this post-season desire at the forefront & this will foster good results. All three upperclass transfers played for elite mid-major (is that oxymoronic?) or high-major programs, so they won't be overwhelmed by physicality or by playing on a big stage.

Projecting Butler in the Top 25, or "bubbling up," doesn't seem like a big stretch to me.

bmradio99 likes this.
  6. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,241
    Wait, hold up. So are you saying that you're with ESPN writer and IU alumnus, Eamonn Brennan for not putting Butler in his/(its?) pre-season top 37??? It blows my mind how someone could leave out a team that last season went 22-11 overall, 10-8 in conference which tied for 4th, lost its first conference tournament game, and lost in the 2nd round of the Tournament!?! I mean the team is only losing about 45% of its minutes played, including its two best players. Plus, I'm sure ESPN has our 2016 recruiting class just outside the top 40 that its team recruiting class rankings go up to. It's def got to be Eamonn's ESPN/Big East bias as to why he would only include 40% of the league in the pre-season top 37 and not 50%.

7. MilkSteak

Money:
    $2,784
    We'll learn more about this team in the first 5-10 minutes of the Northwestern game than the entire offseason + the exhibitions + the game against Northern Colorado.

For now, I have major five questions about this team:

1. Who can reliably score in double-digits or near double-digits every single night except Kelan? Or...Can we even win if a team shuts Kelan down?
    2. Who is that fifth starter?
    3. Our defensive efficiency should improve, but will it be enough to offset the obvious loss in offensive efficiency?
    4. Who is our second option from three-point land? (I already think this team will struggle from deep.)
    5. Is Holtmann for real, or was he dealt a generous hand with Stevens-era/Miller-era leftovers? (This year will tell us more about him than any other year he's been here.)

8. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,049
    I think "3" is the million dollar question. Our offense will undoubtedly take a step back as it was elite last year and two of the players most responsible for that are gone. But how big of a step back? And I'd like to think our defense is a sure thing to improve as it hasn't been that bad in recent memory, was elite with holtmann with better personnel (14-15), and we've added some guys who should be plus defenders and eliminated a couple of the big holes (KD generally and Rose guarding points). But how big of a jump forward?

As far as holtman and getting a good hand vs being a good coach - not sure itll matter for long regardless as he is well on his way to creating better hands than he was dealt.

9. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    1. Not sure. A rotation/ combination of Savage, Woodson, Chrabs and Wideman probably.

2. Woodson, Savage or Lewis. What matters most- who starts or who gets most minutes?

3. Yes with a combination of more depth and offensive improvements by returnees.

4. Woodson, Baldwin, Chrabs and Savage.

5. Was he dealt a generous hand?

10. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,049
    I glossed over this one. If you're implying we don't know who the second option will be from deep behind Martin, I think the question itself is wrong. Woodson will be our primary option from deep. He took nearly as many threes as Dunham last year and made the exact same share of them (a cool 43%). Martin will likely be the second option from beyond the arc. Who's the third option? Not sure. Baldwin will be a threat when he's out there, but we don't know how much he'll play. Lewis and Chrab could each make a third of their attempts, which is serviceable. Savage hasn't been much of a three point shooter in his first three years of college, but he's obviously more of a threat than Rose. If either of Fowler or Brunk gets real time, they'll be a threat to make a three per game.

I don't think we'll be bad from three. And in fact, we could be quite good if Woodson and Martin are both shooting 38%+ at a solid volume (as they each did last season).

11. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $380
    Joey Brunk will shooting the 3 by the end of the season after the butterflies leave and he gets more minutes...

12. LA-OC-IE

LA-OC-IE Active Member

Money:
    $199
  13. I like turtles

I like turtles Active Member

Money:
    $388
    Bro if you want to cherry pick to argue a point, just know that it goes two ways. We ended up one of top 32 teams in the country last year, beat many tournament teams, no bad losses and fought to end the against a number one seed. This year we add a ton more depth and return a lot of experience.

SRG likes this.
  14. MilkSteak

Money:
    $2,784
  15. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,414
  16. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
    This will be nice for everyone in Central Indiana.

17. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,414
    Unless there are some streaming blackout rules, guessing this will be available for those of us out of the area, too. Wasn't that the case a couple years ago for the game at ISU?

18. MilkSteak

Money:
    $2,784
    Pretty nuts that a local network is picking up exhibition games. This program has come far in just a few years.

Hell, we used to have watch games using that godforsaken Horizon League streaming service as recently as march of 2012...

19. bu04

bu04 New Member VIP Member

Money:
    $20
    I sort of miss the "Ho Net" (Horizon League Network). It always felt like you where some how cheating the system/sticking it to the man, when you hooked the laptop up to the big screen TV to watch a January game in Green Bay.

Danimal likes this.
  20. BullDawg2789

BullDawg2789 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $609
    I remember having to watch the live updates in my dorm room when Zach Hahn hit that buzzer beater at Cleveland State (?). Horizon Network wasn't showing anything and even ESPN was barely following at that point in winter '08

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app