Nijel Pack - 2020 Point Guard (Kansas State)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, May 3, 2018.

1. Alcohol101

Alcohol101 Active Member

Money:
    $295
    It seems like the goalposts are always moving and whatever the staff does, it is always wrong. Taking a top 100, or whatever he is now, recruit in Harris when we had 5 open scholarships seems like such a no-brainer that I can't possibly fathom why anybody is actually upset. I've also read that he might be suitable playing off the ball as well, which would open the door for Pack or another PG to sign. It's definitely not a bad thing imo.

fdr and estar20dawg like this.
  2. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,612
    Yes, have you?

3. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,612
    It's pretty obvious the staff used Pack's offer to put pressure on Harris. There has been nothing connecting the two since and his interests clearly lie elsewhere (Belmont OV over the weekend, KSU coming soon). Nice little meltdown though. Hope you're right about Harris

4. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Active Member

Money:
    $428
    Suggesting he should be banned again was simply a joke. No, he shouldn't be banned for having an opinion. Sorry.

5. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,612
    They are both point guards.

6. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Active Member

Money:
    $428
    Meltdown? Coming from you? Lol

DawgsMD and Pick n Roll Dawgs like this.
  7. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,980
    With only 1 PG on the roster and 1 other guard on the roster after this year in Battle it is highly likely they take at least 2 PGs in the upcoming class with 5 spots available total, 4 now.

8. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,612
    Harris' stock is falling, Pack's is doing the opposite. I would absolutely disagree... the MIC is one of the best basketball conferences in the country.

These guys are both point guards. We aren't taking another in this class. I have seen both players in person... maybe Harris was just off when he was here for EYBL? It appears this staff likes a Thompson esque PG (distributor, can't shoot, decent defense) vs. a Clarke scoring threat one. I think that is a big mistake with how the game is evolving.

9. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,980
    Most scouts, coaches people who play and evaluate talent say Harris's best potential is still ahead. While Pack's stock is at an all time high, it in no way suggests he's an elite game changer for any program. I am like I've said a huge fan of Pack and think he's going to be a good college player. Harris is going to be a very, very good guard in the Big East.

godogs91 likes this.
  10. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,871
    Not sure I'd ever see the day where you're liking posts from Title!

It's obviously a very difficult task comparing high school basketball conferences halfway across the country, but the Washington Catholic League is definitely highly regarded on a national level. While I don't have time to find the numbers, I'd venture to wager that there have been significantly more division 1 basketball players come out of the DC league in recent years than the MIC...after all, those schools are recruiting players very actively. The MIC is probably one of the better public school conferences nationwide.

Is taking an official visit to Belmont something we'd classify under "stock is improving"? I really don't understand the position here.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    wazthree, Tentozen, SnoopDawg and 2 others like this.
  11. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,871
    Your participation is the only aspect of this board that embarrasses me.

NCJon, PSUButlerFan, DawgsMD and 9 others like this.
  12. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,319
    I think Pack and Harris can coexist, kinda different players.

Interesting he wants to wrap up his recruitment soon yet us just now drawing interest from high majors. That said my marbles are on K State.

13. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $3,140
    There are a number of posters on this board that would say we have no business recruiting a player with mid-major offers and visit plans. Heaven forbid.

wazthree likes this.
  14. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,612
    The guy is hardly right but he mostly nailed it here. The Thompson - Harris comparison seems spot on to me. Not a Thompson fan at all and would rather see a PG in the mold of Rotnei Clarke. AT is too much of an offensive liability, and isn't enough of a game changer on defense ala Nored to warrant the amount of playing time he gets. I am shocked this staff did not take a grad transfer guard. Very risky rolling with Thompson, Baldwin, and Battle as your only guards.

Based on the offers Pack had entering summer ball I would say absolutely his stock is improving. Butler, K-State, Belmont, Nevada, etc. all new offers. Harris didn't receive a single one up to his BU commitment. Seems to me the spot was for one of these two guys and Harris jumped on it. Hope he has a great career now that he is a Dawg but his game is very worrisome to me.

15. DawgPoundMac

DawgPoundMac Active Member

Money:
    $184
    Never thought I’d see the day we’d be angry about landing top 100 players. Both these guys are good and would do great things for the program. We landed one of them (who happens to be ranked higher) and people are mad about this? Why? (I’m not a big rankings guy myself, just happy we landed one of them)

Also, if Harris committed to Marquette, Xavier, Providence, DePaul, or any other Big East school Title and several others would be passive aggressively tweeting or posting on how we’re a useless program who can’t land top 100 players like Harris.

Just rinse and repeat. This happens every time we land one.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

knobcreekfan, NCJon, 2xDawg and 13 others like this.
  16. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $101
    Very well put!!

17. Dawg Guy

Dawg Guy Active Member

Money:
    $416
    Pack to Kansas State - Archive

18. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,319
    Yeah that was written all over the wall. Later.

19. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    Maybe Harris' commitment to Butler played a role, maybe it didn't (I still think they could've co-existed in the same backcourt).

However, it's also possible Pack wanted to play for Bruce Weber or at a bigger school.

Pack's stock was clearly rising, but we aren't at the point as a program where we can turn our noses at 4-star recruits. Harris is going to be a good player for us, and time will tell if that means he's better than Pack or not.

20. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,319
    It could be as simple as Pack seeing the Harris commitment and other Butler offers out there, realized Butler wasn't ready to get married, and he jumped at what he thinks is the best opportunity. Personally, I think Pack was going to get plenty of offers going forward if he would have stood pat. But the kid wanted to make a decision and quickly, which I find odd but whatever. Butler wasn't there yet (fine by me) and K State was. He took what he could get. Good for him and we have to hope our 2020 offers bare some fruit. I don't have a problem with him going elsewhere.