NIL Era Begins

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $18,791
    seadawg and joliebeth23 like this.
  2. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,751
    I definitely think it hurts Butler and helps large state schools with giant fan bases more. Definitely happy that we have moved into the Big East though and have a national TV contract. Mid-Majors are really going to take a hit from this.

butlerdude05 and seadawg like this.
  3. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,276
    A Pandora's box that will not end shady dealings and will probably create a buffet of inequities, and problems amongst players and teams. Teams, conferences, and states can form their own rules which essentially is a "free for all" and will be impossible to police. It will certainly change the face of recruiting. While players do need permission to identify with universities, some will get it. This should have been instituted nationally with a set of standards, but that's not the case. Evaluate this nightmare in a couple of years.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    ButlerProf likes this.
  4. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,992
    There's no going back in two years or five years or ever, really. Maybe they can make some tweaks around the edges, but from here on out players can get paid.

Fully prepared to have this hot take tossed back at me in a few years, but I don't think it's going to cause the seismic shifts that others do. Money already flows to players in most of the dominant programs in revenue sports. If anything, this should help bring that out of the shadows, while also enabling the athletes in non-revenue sports to benefit from sponsorships and camps, and the players in revenue sports outside those select programs to pick up some sponsorship money, too.

BNiche and 2xDawg like this.
  5. seadawg

Money:
    $9,276
    What's to keep HS recruits from doing same? This was not thought out. There should be 1 uniform policy to level the playing field and that is simply not the situation. Can't wait to see the lunacy that evolves on social media. This effectively ends the essence of amateur sports IMHO. Wish I could share in your optimism, but any positives will be more than offset by the negatives. A few tweaks will not repair this creation, Welcome to the wild west...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    ButlerProf likes this.
  6. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $18,791
    I agree this really hurts Butler. It's also going to test Butler's culture. Can they continue to run a team first program as everything changes to focus on the player? It's not an easy thing to do already, and it just got harder.

ButlerProf likes this.
  7. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,632
    I agree, it’s definitely going to put the culture of a lot of teams to the test. Colin Gillespie has signed with Barstool. Players from Virginia, Illinois, and WV have signed with StockRisers and agreed to blog about their seasons.

I think student-athletes trying to balance being content-creators while also focusing on basketball and maintaining program/locker room confidentiality is going to be really interesting and likely to be a headache for coaches.

Schulzy and Tentozen like this.
  8. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,704
    Think about Butler 2019/2020 - would that team have been any different if Kamar had a few chances on Sunday afternoon to go down to the local car dealership to hang out with fans for 2 hours for $1,000? Probably not…

Then again, it could turn college basketball into AAU where every kid is for himself to get noticed and recruited, only in this case to get noticed for endorsement deals.

Shimmy and 2xDawg like this.
  9. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $16,704
    Im sort of with you. I think a lot of kids have $$ in their eyes and will be surprised to learn they won’t make as much money as they think. $10 to do a product Tweet? You have to balance - you run the risk of losing followers if that’s all you do. Even 1 per day is only $300 per month. Not exactly getting rich here.

And I don’t buy the concentration of talent thing… I think it spreads it out… my thesis is this: If you’re a 4-star WR with an offer from Alabama, you’ll likely go there today and compete and hope to see the field. But Now you might be sold by some smaller program, say Southern Miss, Bc you can be THE GUY and be the star at that level and get all the local endorsement deals.

If you’re a 4-star who goes to Duke, why not go to Butler and be the top player? Yeah Duke has a bigger fan base, but Butler is well known in a big Midwestern city, and local businesses will want to capitalize on that. The city here matters more than the fan base.

That Penn Station in Broadripple is delicious. The one off College Ave by the weird baby blue bridge. They can pay $500 for Butler’s biggest name to show up on a fall Saturday for 2 hours to draw in customers. Players all over the country will get those chances by being the biggest name in their market. Why by the 3rd option at Utah when you can go to Weber State and clean up?

BNiche, 2xDawg and NCJon like this.
  10. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member

Money:
    $593
    The 1 hypothetical that will probably never happen, but if it does, would cause shockwaves.
    Say a starting QB on a CF playoff team, with no chance of being drafted, receives a $2MM offer from an opposing alumnus to support a legitimate product, but forces said player to not attend the game.
    1. The QB would now be the most hated player, but if that is his last game and he isn't going to make NFL money, this might be a smart business decision
    2. The opposing team would make more than $2, 3, 4MM in advancing to the next round, so the value is good
    3. Anyone who bet on the team prior to the QB announcing he would not attend the game, what happens to them?
    Plausible? It seems crazy, but if that number jumped to $5MM, we would all take a second to consider our personal future finances, right?

This is the 1 scenario IMO, that would kill NIL

11. seadawg

Money:
    $9,276
    On the lighter side, imagine an athlete doing a testimonial advertisement on social media. "I don't always have sex, but when I do I use KY brand lubricants."

bumba likes this.
  12. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,344
    This going to be like Hollywood where A-list talent commands the level of pay & project. Until we get 5 star athletes who are recognizable, I anticipate guys like Nze & Golden will probably be doing TV commercials for Zotec Partners or other BU alumni.

I also think this puts pressure on the athlete. Let's say Gillespie says something really stupid on social media for Barstool. Jay Wright still determines his playing time. We'll see who is mature enough to handle it.

BNiche and ConnersvilleBulldog like this.
  13. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $855
    Oh....and don't forget.....the student is supposed to be there for an education. Need time from the sport, and now personal appearances, product endorsements, commercial shoots, etc. for classes and home work. What a world....what a world! Agents will be coming out of the rocks to manage and promote their player clients.

ButlerProf likes this.
  14. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $16,704
    Only if this athlete is at Liberty, Notre Dame or BYU!

15. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $16,704
    This is a fascinating scenario. Someone like JT Barrett comes to mind. Had zero chance of being drafted out of Ohio State. But how many QBs go to the playoffs now without much chance of being drafted? That’s probably somewhat rare.

The other big factor is who the alum is representing that will pay. Take OSU vs. Bama last year. What Bama alum in Ohio can get more than 2M in value from the OSU QB promoting some product? And if that player didn’t play, OSU would turn on him and boycott the product, so you wouldn’t get the value. And some player not expected to be drafted likely doesn’t have the national marketability to derive enough value to justify the cost. Would have to be someone very wealthy who is in complete control of his/her company since no board would never approve that with a detailed cost/benefit analysis.

I think Jason White won the Heisman in 03 and wasn’t drafted, so he might have had the national appeal, but players like this are rare.

As you said, very unlikely to happen I would think. But fascinating to think about.

16. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,439
    Call me a purist/idealist/naive whatever—not a fan of the direction it’s appears to be going. Just so much opportunity for things to go wrong. Locker room dynamics, distraction from school/team, maintaining the Butler “brand”, competing with sponsors for revenue. Can’t wait til somebody shows up late to practice cause they were running late from a paid appearance.

Also does anyone know how this affects the previous rules about program boosters?

ButlerProf likes this.
  17. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,300
    I don't agree with Kavanaugh on basically anything but this is a persuasive argument IMO. Highlights in this tweet, full opinion also included. The line that stood out to me was: "Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate."

One thing I think people may be overlooking is that for kids on partial scholarships or not at all at a lower level, this may really help them afford an education.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/20-512_gfbh.pdf

BNiche likes this.
  18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,344
    Question: does this make it possible for the university to collaborate/negotiate on the students behalf?

For example, is it possible for UK & Coach Cal to negotiate promotional deals for a 5 star freshman to stay in school (e.g. if they can work their alumni to spend as much they might get as a pro?)

19. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $18,791
    Schools can't use it for recruiting purposes. But the NCAA can't enforce their current black and white rules. How could they possibly enforce this?

bumba, dawgs2014, #60 and 1 other person like this.
  20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,344

I think they get to start buying kids earlier

Cranjis McBasketball likes this.