NIL Era Begins

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $122
    Definitely more marketable, and too bad he didn't get a shot at it.

2. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,985
    The scrappy walk-on that gets the chant at the end of games is much more marketable than <Generic College Athlete>.

3. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,640
    It seems that, at least with Purdue, they aren't paying for University rights.

https://theshopindy.com/collections/eric-hunter-jr

Much harder to sell a Butler player without mention of Butler, I would think...

I'm guessing Aaron Thompson and maybe the "Bryce Bros"

4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,296
    Took Purdue off the jersey, but where did they get the photo? Unless they (The Shop) recreated it, it belongs to someone—did they get paid? Ugh, so much overlapping of “rights” with all of this—will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

5. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,813
    T-shirt makers have long been some of the biggest offenders when it comes to violating trademarks and personality rights. I had never looked at The Shop's stuff before last week, so I have no idea if they fall into that category of being a routine bad actor. I just know there are a lot of trademark and personality rights (NIL falls into that) cases involving apparel companies.

Taking a look at what they did with Eric Hunter's t-shirt, I think it'd be extremely tough, though not impossible, for Purdue to assert a trademark claim. There is an outlier of a case involving LSU out of the Fifth Circuit in which they found that a combination of a university's color scheme plus references to other things associated with the university - in that case specific games the Tigers had played, opponents and locations - could trigger infringement of unregistered trademarks. That's a really murky area. Most jerseys aren't going to be trademarkable themselves, unless there is a specific piece that's not a functional element to the jersey and is closely associated with that team - think Marquette's tri-color stack or Carolina's argyle column - beyond the logo itself. Most jerseys, minus the team logo, are too generic for that.

There's also a potential PR mine field for universities that choose to go after something as relatively benign as that Hunter t-shirt. By doing so, they could potentially kill the market for their athletes' name, image or likeness rights.

BUcheer likes this.
  6. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $483
    Guess you missed this Seadawg: https://www.espn.com/college-sports...ider-decentralized-deregulated-college-sports

I am very curious to see if any conferences or Notre Dame get really creative with NIL as a way to leverage conference talent and/or bring in more revenue for the schools.

If we are talking about taking football out of NCAA purview then how long until these athletes (and more importantly their managers and reps) realise there is a much bigger piece of pie they are missing out on than $300 t-shirt deals?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,986
    Thanks and no I did not see this story. My thought was more about basketball in that if they would even be needed to administer the tournament. If not - what then? Will the power 5 conferences run their own tournament? What role will the Big East have in the future without football? There are a ton of unanswered questions and we may not have the answers for a few years.

8. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,552
    I’m waiting for my collector set of Bulldog player cups with each happy meal

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

bumba, BUBBALUM and DawgsMD like this.
  9. butlerguy03

Money:
    $1,985
    Trading cards have been on a little nostalgic comeback - maybe the Big East could sign with Upper Deck or Topps.

I’ll trade you my Collin Gillespie for your Chuck Harris!

10. MasterSplinter

Money:
    $483
    Good point about the tournament. But, we don't need the ncaa to administer the football "tournament" do we, so not like it'd be a major departure. Why wouldn't power 6 go straight to ad buyers/tv networks and say pay us directly and get 10% discount?

11. NCJon

Money:
    $8,813
    I imagine a lot of the big money programs will be following suit here, although it's probably something every D1 school needs to put in place.

MasterSplinter likes this.
  12. MasterSplinter

Money:
    $483
    Beat me to it...sorry for the paywall but the Athletic has a bit more: https://theathletic.com/news/unc-la...ing-program-under-new-nil-policy/gChv1KdJCmlI

Article specifically mentions how group licensing is sensitive due to implications for players union and collective bargaining which is where real money is at for players. But another small step in that direction. I fully expect conferences to also put in place guidelines for group licensing at the conference level.

I'd love to know how much UNC thinks it stands to benefit financially from this deal as i doubt they did it for the good of the players.

NCJon likes this.
  13. NCJon

Money:
    $8,813
    I'm curious how much they're projecting too. I mean it stands to reason that both the university and the player should want some kind of agreement since the jersey or t-shirt with the university logo and the player's name on it is likely to sell much better than either without. I'm sure they also don't want to miss out on those smaller markets for less high profile players or sports, but where there's still money to be made.

Having a framework in place for cooperation makes a ton of sense though. Among other things, you can sell recruits on it. Hey, you don't have to use our collective rights program, but it's here if you want to and mostly turn-key. Really fascinating how this might change the value proposition for a sport like baseball in Chapel Hill where most of the players are on partial scholarships, but there's significant fan interest.

14. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,249

Not bad for a college kid

15. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $18,727
    And Nick Saban absolutely isn't making that statement as a recruiting tool

bumba, #60, butlerguy03 and 3 others like this.
  16. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,717
    Major program QBs are going to have the opportunity to be set for life.

High end prospects like Andrew Luck aren’t going to be able to afford turning down an OSU to go to a place like Stanford.

17. butlerguy03

Money:
    $1,985
    I don’t care much about college football, it’s already a group of 6-8 schools; but for basketball, the saving grace for schools like Butler might be the NBA allowing kids to be drafted out of high school again. It’ll take the high-money kids out of the college game.

18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,249
    I see it from a little different perspective. I think the money will definitely be there considering how much media attention March Madness brings in. You'll see top college basketball players doing TV spots for Coke Zero, Reesee's, etc. I think this will put some distance between the high majors and mid-majors.

19. butlerguy03

Money:
    $1,985
    I agree, if the high-money kids stay in the college basketball, it really is game-over for anyone that isn't a major basketball power or a very large state university. It's probably been time to split D-1 for awhile anyway, this will just hasten that idea. D-1 should essentially be capped at about 150 schools. Butler wouldn't have been one of them pre-2005, and that sucks for any potential Butler or Gonzaga out there.

bumba likes this.
  20. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,986
    No surprise the NIL has reached the HS level. A freshmen basketball from California who has yet to play a game has inked a deal potentially worth a million or even more.:confused: