NIL Era Begins

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Jul 2, 2021.

1. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,122
    That’s awesome. No reason that kid should be able to monetize himself the same way his peers on TikTok are, just a different entertainment channel.

2. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,401
    Yeah - I'm officially old. Kids can make all the money they want, but I definitely am not the target customer considering I'm on 1 social media platform (Facebook) because my wife won't let me get off of it.

I think it's silly that someone would be willing to pay for that, but the billionaire space race is infinitely dumber, and as an Amazon customer I helped fund that so...

3. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,149
    IHSAA is not gonna like this.

4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,439
    Haven’t looked but assume no restrictions by IHSSA. If their amateur status is no longer jeopardized then it appears to be game on.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

5. butlerguy03

Money:
    $2,149
    The IHSAA is notoriously super conservative and restrictive on athletes. (I interned for the IHSAA once, good times actually)

6. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,276
    Faced with little alternative the NCAA will drastically reform and reorganize. The days of arbitrary heavy handed regulation appears to be over. Otherwise the NCAA's demise was eminent. With super conferences emerging on the horizon, the rules have been abandoned. The BE will be in limbo until this all the dust settles and this is far from over with. Perhaps the NCAA can sustain a governing body for D2 and D3 sports. Either way, they will soon cease to have any relevant function in major college sports.

7. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,822

Shimmy and Daddysmack like this.
  8. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,562
    I’ll use Gillespie for my spokes on my bmx bike

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

seadawg, PSUButlerFan and DawgsMD like this.
  9. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,122
  10. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,280
  11. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,190
    Wow, hey I'm all for making your money, but $28 for a T-shirt seems steep, no?

Eric the Midget and UDDawg like this.
  12. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,401
  13. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,736
  14. Ster8462

Ster8462 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $653
    So I paid $29 for a Wrigleyville T-Shirt on August 7th at Wrigley when I took in the Sox-Cubs game so $28 might be a little higher but if they are paying DJ Hughes a stipend (which they are) I’m fine with that price!!!!

15. butlerguy03

Money:
    $2,149
    The owner was on the Query & Shultz podcast a week or so ago and said that the amount schools are asking for is too much for them to use, so they just have a blanket policy of not bothering with it for now. They have one contract they offer all athletes, no negotiating. They said they had to come up with something quickly and this was the best policy they could do in immediacy. He also said he was sliding into DM's online offering connections and that schools are not allowed to facilitate those transactions or meetings.

#60 and UDDawg like this.
  16. Eric the Midget

Eric the Midget New Member

Money:
    $31
    I like Hughes t-shirt more than Taylors

17. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,240
    So I’m going to preface this post by admitting I’m mostly ignorant on this NIL thing.
    My question is this…. Could a school pre-package benefits from local businesses and use it to entice recruits? Say a benefit package from Andy Mohr, Ray Skillman, Chatham Tap, Speedway Gas and Ed Carpenter Racing guarantees each roster player $500/month minimum stipend. And still have the freedom to get more on an individual basis. Yes/No?

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

18. fchd

fchd Member

Money:
    $132
    The NCAA say they can't use NIL as a recruiting tool. Of course no one believes that.

19. butlerguy03

Money:
    $2,149
    No. Schools cannot broker deals.

20. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,522
    They also can't arrange parties with ladies of negotiable affection, or get a recruit's parents a high paying job with a booster's company.