NIL/Pay For Play Thread

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by bumba, Apr 23, 2022.

1. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,668
    Going to be hard to compete against the football schools who can offer that kind of deal.

2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    College sports is officially broken. With the transfer portal and NIL this is now professional sports with no guard rails, rules or regulations. The NCAA no longer has a reason to exist. On the other hand the cheating and corruption will now legal and the highest bidder wins. Paying under the table and dropping bags is no longer necessary.

3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,118
    I don’t think I disagree with this. I have serious concerns about how interesting or viable college basketball is going to be under the current rules framework.

4. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,817
    I came to the realization a year ago that NIL is going to complicate matters as far as how competing for top talent will be lopsided towards the power five schools, traditionally it always has anyway, but now it'll bring to light just how lopsided it can be. It's a landscape that Butler simply will not be able to compete with on a large scale, but I'm willing to accept that as long as they don't resort to getting into bidding wars with other schools, it seems to me that wouldn't fit their culture. I can completely understand if Jay Wright chose not to navigate this new landscape, and I doubt Brad Stevens would've cared to try either....With all that said, I do think it's the right thing for the players, it really wouldn't be that different if they were Olympic athletes trying to leverage their worth on the market. I will say, if Butler has to compete with a system where the odds are stacked against them, at least we now have coach that knows how to get the most out of the talent leftover after all the sharks have fed on the top talent.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    joliebeth23 likes this.
  5. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,668
    So it looks like the guy who signed Pack is an attorney who's share of his firm is worth $20 billion... and LifeWallet is a startup that isn't profitable. Unreal.

https://businessofcollegesports.com...lets-mission-to-sign-10-million-in-nil-deals/

6. DawgDude

DawgDude Active Member

Money:
    $360
    Wonder if college sports will split into the mega programs with most of the Power 5 football schools then the 50-100 next tier followed by everyone else?

Like Insane mentioned the power programs can now pay in the open and not have to hide the bribes or use bag men.

Could see Adidas paying athletes at schools that are adidas schools to wear and promote their shoes.

7. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $20,572
    A law firm worth 32B? I don’t believe that for 2 seconds.

I work with all the big boys: Cooley, Wilson Sonsini, Gunderson, Goodwin, etc. These are some of the top corporate law firms in the world. I’d be STUNNED if any of them were worth even close to 32B.

8. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,556
    It’s also nearly impossible to provide a valuation on a law firm where someone could walk out the door tomorrow with an uncertain number of clients and drop the valuation by 1/2 since lawyers can’t sign restrictive covenants.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

dawgs2014 and PSUButlerFan like this.
  9. ButlerAlumDad716

ButlerAlumDad716 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $820
    There's a lawsuit in NY doing a pretty good job of it with the Celino and Barnes breakup

10. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,844
    I do think the NCAA or maybe congress is going to have to step in to provide some regulation and some caps on this money. It’s simply not fair to the universities across the board. I’m not opposed to the athlete’s getting money but this current situation is not healthy for college athletics. This is the wild Wild West right now. Some bad **** is going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

dawgs2014 likes this.
  11. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $395
    You think Congress.......should decide how much money one person deserves to get paid? Absolutely terrible idea.

12. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,218
    Yeah $32 billion would make it as valuable as DuPont or Ebay. Where did that number come from ?

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  13. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,671
    TIL EBay still exists. Damn, I thought that has disappeared years ago.

14. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    The NCAA and it’s director Mark Emmert has done nothing for so long that the credibility of the organization has been destroyed. He appointed a blue ribbon panel several years ago ,headed by Condoleezza Rice and members like David Robinson , to propose fixes to cover NIL . He completely ignored their recommendations. In 2017 the FBI began an investigation into Kansas , Arizona and other schools for paying recruits. They have yet to penalize Kansas. Emmert ,who gets paid $2 million a year , punted NIL to the individual schools to manage. Instead of doing his job he said Congress needs to get involved. Congress can act because most of these universities get federal funds and accept student loans but Congress has enough on its plate that isn’t getting done. Coach K made comments after he retired about the broken system. Of course he who recruited players that were paid under the table brought this up after he retired. I believe this mess is one of the reasons why Jay Wright decided to retire and why Xavier hired Sean Miller knowing he was corrupt.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  15. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,218
    I guess that's why their stock price is roughly 5x higher than it was 10 years ago............

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  16. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,811
    The NCAA has no authority to regulate NIL beyond the school's direct involvement, which they have prohibited. The only thing they could do is allow schools to be more directly involved. But that would not stop well-heeled third-party actors like LifeWallet's owner from doing what they are doing.

The NCAA is a joke and had they been more proactive and less resistant to obvious equity issues between the power imbalance of schools and their players, they may have been able to get ahead of this. But they didn't and now they can't.

17. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,671
    Honestly, we should just enjoy as much competitive Butler basketball as we can, because there is likely a day the University just can’t compete with the large state-sponsored corporations.

Hinkle, ButlerProf and Insane Dawg like this.
  18. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,081
    It would sure be nice if they came up with a "salary cap" or something though. Without it, NCAAM will just turn into the MLB and small market teams will have no chance. If they could cap it at like $50k per year, I think it would be reasonable. Pack getting $800k and a car though is absolutely absurd.

19. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $395
    Cap it? How the hell can they do that? Would love to hear how that could be pulled off?

Smaller market teams have no chance? Last I checked the Rays compete every year with the like of the Yankees and Red Sox.

And the 2 systems are incomparable. MLB has a Union and a collective bargaining agreement.

20. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $20,613
    It was pretty obvious this was coming. I'm not sure how we go back. The NCAA should have worked out ways to get equal payments for players/schools. Now we are basically going to have a lower pro league.

Outside of trying to establish a more even playing field, I would like to see something like NIL deals only being allowed after a player has been enrolled at a school for 1 year. Try to prevent freshman and transfers being offered deals to go to a specific school. Plus it's a way to penalize players for transferring while still allowing them to do so. They can decide if they want to play right away and lose a year of earnings or sit out a year.

Hinkle, mwall787, dippper61 and 2 others like this.