NIL/Pay For Play Thread

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by bumba, Apr 23, 2022.

1. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,950
    Well thought out and certainly feasible. Setting a uniform policy across state lines would be a great starting point.

2. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $20,170
    Im not sure I really like the idea of a cap, but I'll throw out something there to answer the question of "how". Have the schools control the deals. Set a limit for how much they can distribute to players. You could even require this be distributed evenly or require a minimum amount per player. Any sponsorship money the school receives over the limit gets split with a certain % going to the school and another % going to a player pool that will be distributed to all players throughout the league in some fashion. Maybe have some player bonuses for things like tournaments wins?

SnoopDawg likes this.
  3. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,895
    The NCAA has established that it’s not to be used for recruitment or pay to play, but has done absolutely nothing about enforcing it. It’s going to take member schools having a hissy fit to get them to take acton. As to a cap, it was initially recommended that a fair market compensation be in effect, but apparently that has gone by the wayside as well. The boldness of some of these collectives and boosters is sickening—they are knowingly going against the guidelines set forth by the NCAA—weak as they may be.

Hinkle likes this.
  4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,895
    Indiana is one of the states without NIL legislation so it’s even more “anything goes”.

5. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,744
    The NCAA itself said when they approved this last summer that " the Association will continue to work with Congress to develop a national law that will help colleges and universities, student-athletes and their families better navigate the name, image and likeness landscape." So, there's that. Not my idea. The NCAA's.

The press release from the NCAA announcing this last summer, also stated that the NIL ruling "...also reinforces key principles of fairness and integrity across the NCAA and maintains rules prohibiting improper recruiting inducements. It's important any new rules maintain these principles." They also stated that "The new policy preserves the fact college sports are not pay-for-play." $800K & a car? Ummmm ok.

I think there needs to be some guidance and regulation of the system, of which there definitely doesn't seem to be any. I agree with Snoop that a salary cap would make sense.

6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    This is now officially minor league NBA without rules, regulations, guard rails, salary caps, team caps nor a governing body. Would not be surprised if IU and their alumni would do everything in their power to stop any attempts by the state to legislate NIL. Ditto for Texas, Louisiana, North Carolina, Alabama , Tennessee, Kansas, Ohio, Michigan, Oklahoma, Florida, Kentucky. Who am I missing?

7. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $391
    The NCAA said that to pass the buck, doesn't mean it is a good idea for congress to get involved with how much a player can and should get paid for NIL.

8. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,744
    I want to bring up something else. Obviously not every player on Miami's team is getting the deal that Pack is getting. What happens when resentment creeps in from his teammates, or maybe other teams they play in non-conference. In the NBA or other professional sports, at least all the players are getting paid. I can't imagine that all 13 players on a team, or all 4550 Division 1 basketball players, are getting an NIL deal, and certainly not like this. And do these kids have accountants that are helping them with this money? The NCAA better get some control on this soon, or it's going to really spiral out of control.

SnoopDawg likes this.
  9. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    Good points. The NCAA has nor wants to control anything including penalizing Bill Self and Kansas which is one of the most egregious incidence since the point shaving scandals. Two AC spend time and Self gets a lifetime contract. As for NIL what if a player making hundreds of thousands or millions doesn’t pan out? What happens when they are driving a Rolls Royce and wearing Rolex watches and their teammates don’t have a car?

10. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,522
    I’m sure the FBI has a list of people to watch already. This guy in Miami better have his books straight.

Also, any betting trend for Miami or Pack will now be scrutinized, not only by podcasters, but by Vegas and the feds.

11. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,627
    I hope these kids get some good tax advice and don’t end up with a huge surprise next April 15th.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  12. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,448
    Somebody call up Chris Wirthwein and Skip Kappas if he’s still alive. Gotta get these boys some NIL money.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2xDawg likes this.
  13. tcdtcd

tcdtcd Member

Money:
    $82
    Jared - Can we have a separate NIL thread and get this one back to Transfer news? ((hopefully there is some soon)

Mr X, 2xDawg, WMUDog and 1 other person like this.
  14. Ross

Ross New Member

Money:
    $43
    Definitely need a new thread.

Also, a cap is already in place. It's $0. Schools can't pay players.

There isn't and probably won't be a cap on NIL. The court ruled that the NCAA can't limit earnings on image and likeness. Similarly, there isn't a cap on NIL in any sport, anywhere. There's no limit to what players can earn from endorsements. Aaron Rodgers can make however much American Family is willing to pay him.

bmradio99 and Daddysmack like this.
  15. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $19,865
    If you think AmFam is paying Rodgers, then clearly State Farm has wasted A TON of money…

16. CMG

CMG Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $385
    The amount of panties in a bunch about this is funny to me.
    Nijel Pack has worked extremely hard to develop his immense skill and talent and used it to make a market-determined amount of money.
    Somehow that is not fair? Fair to who? People that didn't work as hard/aren't as skilled and talented?
    How will humans adjust to this extremely common facet of life?

Mr X, NCJon and bmradio99 like this.
  17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,119
    Big difference between saying it’s “not fair” or that he shouldn’t do it and saying that the new rules just suck as a fan of college basketball/that it may not be viable long term.

Would any professional league be interesting if players could leave whenever they wanted and their salary was wholly determined by the richest few fans of the team? It’d be terrible and uninteresting. That’s where college basketball is headed right now.

18. CMG

CMG Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $385
    I’d argue the best teams are still getting the best players. The same teams are still paying for talent and the best talent still doesn’t always win the most. The only change is players can get a slightly bigger slice in a narrowed market.

Mr X likes this.
  19. Ross

Ross New Member

Money:
    $43
    Hilarious!

20. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,320
    So my problem is that I see a fundamental difference between a business investment, I.e. the wanting to pay you to help promote and grow the business, and paying a whole bunch of money to entice you to sign with the local school.

Pay for play is not what pro NIL people previously supported, but it’s now what we have. As ID posted earlier, the ongoing incompetence of the NCAA has led us to a point where they just gave up. Frankly, the I
    Plantation of the new rules right now is bullshit.