NIL/Pay For Play Thread

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by bumba, Apr 23, 2022.

1. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,233
    Not an athletics gift but it was announced alum Frank Levinson gave $10M to the most recent BU campaign.

2. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,148
    Intuit is TurboTax, among other things, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,510

Those who live in Florida, get ready to see a lot of car commercials w/ Florida Gator players in them. Gotta use that image for some ROI

4. ButlerFan89

ButlerFan89 Active Member

Money:
    $308
    On the 600MM, family biz so likelihood majority shareholder, but who knows market cap and debt. And valuation multiple is ???? Looks good on paper and I’m sure annual compensation and profit payout is enough to pay the guys electric bill. ha

Intuit deal: Go on Crunchbase to figure it out. Little debt, only $10MM in a round from outside investment, and 8-10x revenue multiple. Mostly cash, not stock deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

5. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $20,570
    Inuit is the parent company that owns TurboTax. I want to know what startup by a Butler alum was bought by them.

Tentozen likes this.
  6. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $20,570
    Intuit has 38 acquisitions on Crunchbase. I’m too lazy to click thru all of them to see which it might be.

7. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $20,570
    Nvm. Found it. Damn… had Benchmark (a top 3 VC firm) and Floodgate (Mike Maples is a Top 10 VC) invested. Guy did well for himself just getting those investors in.

Helps that the most famous Benchmark partner, Bill Gurley, was a college basketball player himself.

8. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,668
  9. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,134
    jkcdawgs and estar20dawg like this.
  10. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,134
    And LifeWallet’s response…

11. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,671
    That’s pro basketball w/o team contracts.

12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,114
    Trainwreck

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

bumba and UDDawg like this.
  13. schoops

schoops Well-Known Member

Money:
    $634
    What happens when a kid signs an endorsement deal and then transfers anyway. I'm sure there is language in the deals about that, but it seems like it would violate ncaa rules to have language in a contract requiring you to go to a particular school.

Blue's Brother likes this.
  14. schoops

schoops Well-Known Member

Money:
    $634
    This whole thing is incredible. Being a coach would be absolutely awful. Now you are totally owned by these crazy boosters. And what if a booster actually wants a particular kid to go to a school because he legitimately wants to build a brand around him...but the coach doesn't want that kid...I'm thinking of a Ball brothers situation where it might be a super talented kid that comes with a ton of baggage.

SnoopDawg likes this.
  15. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $10,222
    Most serious fans foreseen this happening all along. Now that it's coming to fruition, are we really that shocked?

SnoopDawg and ButlerProf like this.
  16. the_speakers_lab

Money:
    $6,510
    There's contractual ways to get around saying you must attend a certain school while only making it possible you attend a certain school or the deal is terminated. Like you must live in a certain area, or must make weekly, in-person visits to the office, or attend a mandatory event, etc. etc.

or you could just put in the contract they have to attend the University and require the kid sign an NDA so the details never get leaked.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    dawgs2014 and NCJon like this.
  17. the_speakers_lab

Money:
    $6,510
    [​IMG]

I guess I was a little early on my prediction. Love the narrative that I was making the kids villains when ppl can't distinguish NIL from pay for play

CMG, NCJon and PSUButlerFan like this.
  18. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $495
    Y'all act like this hasn't been going on for the past 30+ years. Now players, coaches, admins, boosters and formal/informal player reps have to put it out in the open. There has always been a hierarchy in NCAA men's basketball exacerbated by NCAA football where big fish eat little fish. Before it was backroom player deals, luxurious facilities, attracting and paying top coaches, etc. Only diff now is we get to watch it all happen openly in real time (ok semi-open but not completely closed like before).

For me, this is an evolutionary step to a formal professionalistion of some NCAA sports. Note SOME as NCAA football power 5 are going to act quicker than NCAA and Congress do and see that in order to protect their product they will need to regulate it and the only way they can do that now is to form a pro League of some sorts. If Kevin Warren and Greg Sankey are sitting there and saying it's ok for John Ruiz to be the puppet master (and others billionaires like him) that is not going to last long. They will not waste their time reforming or reimagining the NCAA. They will set a salary cap of some sort, university (owners) cap on funding they can give, transfer/free agency rules, negotiate sponsorship deals and rules, define involvement of boosters etc.

Then NCAA men's bball will follow suit knowing they can privatise march madness similar to the BCS did ages ago with the men's football 'tournament'. Then the other sports will either find their own pro paths or keep to the NCAA.

The argument that pro university leagues detract from other scholarship sports is a non-starter. Those schools in pro leagues could just as easily if not more easily reallocate pro sport revenue to subsidise non-pro sports on campus.

CMG, Mr X and NCJon like this.
  19. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,114
    First, it has most definitely NOT been happening to the extent it will now happens. Deals of this kind will be orders of magnitude greater in frequency and size.

Second, how does this force people to be out in the open with it? For the relatively few doing this before it was legal, why would you suddenly care about the rules now and disclose it?

20. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,114
    This is absolutely a step towards pro-college sports. Is anyone arguing otherwise? The argument is that it’s untenable. We already have pro leagues. If the only real difference moving forward between traditional pro leagues and college sports is significantly better quality of play and a much more sensible and team-equitable league structure in the traditional pro leagues, how is college sports interesting?