NIL/Pay For Play Thread

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by bumba, Apr 23, 2022.

1. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,413
    I don’t fault the kid, I fault the rules for endorsing this.

It’s gross.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

ButlerProf, bumba and Hinkle like this.
  2. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,413
    Yeah, I don’t think it’s really all that surprising that so many big name coaches are all leaving at basically the same time. I don’t think college basketball is in a healthy place. Somehow the current state actually feels *less* sustainable than the prior unsustainable state.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Tentozen likes this.
  3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,114
    I would bet a LOT this speeds up Izzo’s departure. Wouldn’t be surprised if it winds up driving out Few also.

ButlerProf and dawgs2014 like this.
  4. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,255
    Everyone is a free agent.

5. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $20,570
    I hate to say it but the school we all cheer for just hired a coach similar to those two…

Imagine a world where the Bruce Pearl’s of the sport are more successful than the Mark Few’s not due to actual coaching ability but due to checkbook size.

Tentozen and Hinkle like this.
  6. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,668
    If competing schools support this kind of behavior, college bball is over as we knew it. It will only get worse if the athletes think they have this kind of leverage.

Let this kid leave then let him rot in the portal.

7. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,671
    I actually think that's why Matta is at Butler and not IU or somewhere similar. He probably didn't want to get into unrestricted free agency where boosters and agents determine your team. At Butler, that is much less likely to happen.

Enjoy the tournament until the TV contracts are up (2032). That just happens to be about the maximum length fans expect for Matta to be here as a coach. It's over at that time without any meaningful legislation.

8. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,844
    So is this where we now agree that this NIL situation needs fixing? What happens if a kid does this right before the start of the season. This gotten way out of hand way too quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. schoops

schoops Well-Known Member

Money:
    $634
    Or during the season. If I were an agent, I'd tell my client to threaten not to play the tournament.

Tentozen and Hinkle like this.
  10. DawgDude

DawgDude Active Member

Money:
    $360
    Problem is wealthy alumni can control who plays for a university and who doesn't. Coaches in these cases lose total control.

bumba likes this.
  11. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

This John Ruiz guy is a clown, 800k for a 3 star. No one cares about Miami hoops, they literally are Depaul at the fan level, only averaged 4k fans a game. I'd transfer too if I was better and some lifepurse guy paid a transfer more than me. He is paying him 200 per fan in attendance LOL. I'd expect a 5 star, NBA level player at that price. Miami will still suck, they had a lucky tourney run as a 10 seed, just like Larrranga had a lucky run as 12 a long time ago at George Mason.

Ruiz being a complete douche would make me never consider any company he owns.

DuckOnAModerator and FRENCH DAWG like this.
  12. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

I hope it happens, the U is bringing this on themselves and deserves all the negativity it entails.

13. DawgDude

DawgDude Active Member

Money:
    $360
    This is just the beginning . Look what Florida State alumni are doing. Millions are being raised to pay players. The big five for Kentucky is supposedly going to make $2 million. Problem is it will be extremely difficult for the NCAA or any individual university or conference to control their teams. Congress is the only one that can legislate across state lines. Will they in this case?

14. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member

Money:
    $999
    Hell, Kentucky has figured out how to get around federal immigration law and get Tshiebwe paid on a student visa.

15. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,307
    This is a new way of looking at being recruited over.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

bumba likes this.
  16. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,668
    Can you imagine Bobby Knight or Woody Hayes coaching right now? They would freak.

17. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $20,570
    This is what PSU is doing: https://www.si.com/college/pennstat...s-with-honor-nil-collective-fundraising-start

Ira Lubert is a big shot. These things will become more common.

Honestly some prominent alums should get together and do the same for the benefit of Butler.

18. CMG

CMG Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $385
    This is good for the players and college basketball in general. The amount of returning talent is more than ever. Players that would be in the g-league or Europe are playing extra college years. Stars and talent sell the game.

The complaints are the same things that have been happening for decades.
    -boosters controlling programs
    -talented players wanting more
    -paid players going to certain teams
    -players leaving for "greener grass" with varying results

citations needed

If you have ever talked to an assistant coach they could list a dozen players a year lost to better deals...transfers or out of HS. Even the benchwarmers at some schools had deals.

"Out in the open" just means this is announced in the media, not kept in private.

19. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,531
    It's interesting that they aren't even trying to put a veil on these deals so that they don't have the appearance of pay for play. Aside from some language in the contracts that say it's not tied to playing for a certain school, everyone seems to be fine with the obvious connections. I won't be heartbroken if some of the players cause some of these donors to pay someone that doesn't go to the desired school. I also see absolutely zero reason why a player can't go to the NBA right out of school. Give them every option if you're gonna do this. I'm still trying to process all of it.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

20. Xer4ever

Xer4ever Member

Money:
    $103
    Great thread guys! I think Butler and X are in the same boat here. But the question I’m trying to answer for myself as a 30 year season ticket holder is what exactly will I be rooting for? The Cintas Musketeers? Like many of you, Xavier(Butler) basketball has been near the top of my list of passions. But the Cintas Musketeers not so much. Help wanted!